• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

jsmeeker

I used to be able to find Rittenhouse locally but recently I have not seen it anywhere in SD. It's a shame because I really like it. It looks like this is a result of the new surge in the popularity of rye whiskey in the past few years (see article here).

It seems that around Boston, Rittenhouse is either not stocked or is priced at $25-28, which seems to be well above what others have mentioned.

If it makes you feel any better, when it's available at the LCBO, which it isn't right now, it's $35. They still have it listed on the LCBO website but there's none currently available at any location. Mine is almost gone, I hope it still being listed means they intend to restock.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Second, a bottle of the Leopold Bros. Maraschino, which I had tasted at the distillery last month. It has a wonderful pot distilled complexity and the cherry flavors just come across as far more 'natural' when compared side-by-side with Luxardo. It also doesn't have that sharp/artificial dryness on the finish that I get from the bigger brands. Leopold add a touch of coriander distillate, which I never would have guessed if I hadn't been told, but which adds a very nice complementary element to the finished product. I guess that's one of the nice side effects of distilling their gin botanicals individually...they just have things like orris root or cardamom distillates sitting around to play with.

A6LwBeZCMAEc3-W.jpg

I can't wait to try this stuff, and to hit Binny's.

I used to be able to find Rittenhouse locally but recently I have not seen it anywhere in SD. It's a shame because I really like it. It looks like this is a result of the new surge in the popularity of rye whiskey in the past few years (see article here).

After a very looooooong drought, Rittenhouse Rye has been back in stock at my local Total Wine & More @ 22.99, at least for the last month or two. That doesn't help you, FrogPrincesse, as I don't think they have any SD locations but maybe a re-check of your local sources could turn something up even if they've been out of stock for some some. Or maybe not...just my 2 cents!

Rittenhouse BIB is one of those absurdly-good-for-the-price spirits that you should almost never buy just one bottle if you have the space, because the extra bottle will simply not go to waste . . . .

I think I need to get an extra one tomorrow to start on some homemade rock and rye.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Do you think it's still absurdly good for the price past $25?

Well, what's the alternative? $30 Wild Turkey (81 proof)? Or, $40 Templeton (80 proof)?

When the price starts creeping over $25, I'll probably hold my nose and buy it. I wish I could still get it for $10 (after coupon), but those days are gone as stocks plummet. That said, if it climbs much higher, I'll likely start reaching for Willett.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Do you think it's still absurdly good for the price past $25?

I haven't done a side by side taste of Rittenhouse against other, pricier ryes -- would love to hear from anyone who has -- but based on what I've tasted I'd say it'd still be a good buy at $30-35. Let's hope, though, that we don't get there any time soon!

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

The MoCo monopoly has Bulleit rye for some absurdly low price (around $20), so that was my go-to while Rittenhouse was out. I haven't compared them side to side though

I have both. Bulleit is a little spicier while Rittenhouse is smoother and deeper/ more complex. I prefer Rittenhouse but it's good to have both for different purposes.

Like most categories of whiskey there is a lot of wiggle room in the mashbill, not to mention all the other variables involved. Bulleit and other LDI/MGP ryes are all high rye (95%) and no corn while Rittenhouse is a "barely" legal rye at or near 51% rye with a lot of corn that tends to make it a lot more bourbon-y and adds the sweetness/smoothness (since there is less rye for the spiciness that is characteristic of rye grain) and the "weight" or "mouthfeel" of the spirit for me.

I enjoy both as well but tend to mix more with Rittenhouse or another relatively low rye like baby Saz than Bulleit when a rye is called for unless I am making a drink where I really want rye character to stand out. I should probably experiment more with that notion but since it is typically only me drinking, and generally only on the weekends, it doesn't give me much opportunity to mix a variety of drinks.

At least not if I want to remember any of it the next day...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I was able to get a bottle of VanWinkle 12 year old from the PA LCB website. They got their allocation and not one drop made it to the stores. The entire state of Pennsylvania recieved 60 bottles of the 23 year old, 360 of the 20 year old, 480 of the 12 year old and 42 bottles of the ten year old bourbons.

And a grand total of 3 bottles of the rye. Yes, 3 bottles for the entire state of PA. I have heard the rye described as the unicorn of whiskey. Reported to exist, but nobody had ever seen one.

The entire PA allocation was gone withing a couple hours. I was hoping for a bottle of the 20 year old but I was too late. I was informed the 23 year old lasted two minutes with a one bottle max.

Please excuse lousy phone camera picture.

vanwinkle2.jpg

Edited by lancastermike (log)

I have heard the rye described as the unicorn of whiskey. Reported to exist, but nobody had ever seen one.

This is funny, because in my experience it only appears when you least expect it...out of the corner of your eye.

Most recently, as the proprietress of my favorite wine shops in Paris was wrapping up my purchases I glanced in the direction of their small spirits shelf and found 3 bottles. Every other time I've encountered the VWFRR on the shelf has been under an equally strange set of circumstances.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Just kicking this out there, but all the Wild Turkey rye I've seen for sale locally is still the 101 stuff. Get shopping, haresfur. Also, I found the Van Winkle 13 year old Old Fashioned Rye for sale in Australia quite a while ago. A store was importing them directly. Bottle is almost done. Wonder if I'll be lucky enough to find a replacement: he only for a couple of bottles in every now and then.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

With a little (actually, a lot because only one of these is available in Ontario and none locally) of help from my friends, my cabinet now contains a bottle each of Cruzan Black Strap, Lemon Hart 151, Smith & Cross and Coruba rums.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Smith & Cross. Drool. It makes every cocktail it goes into outrageously good. Try it in a room-temperature old fashioned (no ice, maybe a bit of water to tame the fire). Superb stuff.

LH 151 is also pretty damn good, and can be diluted to more usable levels.

Black strap...just runs roughshod over everything you introduce it to. I'm honestly wondering what the hell I've managed to do with the 2/3 of the bottle that's no longer there..... Definitely made a few corn n' oils, but that can't account for all of it...

LH 151 is also pretty damn good, and can be diluted to more usable levels.

The LH 151 has a date with Beachbum Berry Remixed. :biggrin: