• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

jsmeeker

Perique

Please do tell us what you think.

I could not tell from their website whether the nicotine has been removed. It only says "a form that greatly diminishes the health concerns associated with tobacco use."

From what I understand, the nicotine has been removed. From what I understand. In the sense I've seen a blog or four or a review or five that's said, oh, we checked with the company/someone who'd know and they said there was no nicotine in beverage. I'm also fairly certain that in Australia you need a special permit to sell nicotine products in your store. And the place I got it--which is, so far as I know, the only place in Australia that sells it--doesn't have cigars, cigarettes or anything of that nature avaliable. I doubt they'd go to the effort of paying for a permit just to sell what is a fairly obscure form of booze.

I like it. I was attracted to it because it sounded interesting and it was reviewed well, but held off for a long time because I wasn't sure I'd find many uses for it. It's quite sweet, obviously, but not to the point of being sickly (I dislike overly sweet things--and my definition of 'overly sweet' seems to get applied to stuff regular people think is 'maybe a little bit sweet'). It's in the same family, kind of, as Benedictine (gutsy herb liqueur with a fair amount of depth as opposed to, and I'm awkwardly fumbling for a comparison here, something as 'insipid' as the nut/herb liqueur Frangelico). It's less sweet than Benedictine, tho'. The gutsiness of the flavour profile (apologies, I'm no booze writer--I wish I could give you some detailed tasting notes) reminded me instantly of rum, bourbon and other brown spirits. It's no surprise that the Perique and some Woodford Reserve got along like old friends in a Don Draper (found via Google: 40mL WR bourbon [i mean to sub this for rye at some point--I'll report back], chocolate bitters, orange bitters and brown sugar with a 20mL Perique float). I'm keen to see how it'll go with nice rum or even a very small quantity of Islay whisky.

I understand that it can be hard-to-find and expensive in the US. In Australia all booze is expensive, so ~$70 for 500mL (as opposed to the more usual 700mL, mind) wasn't crazy. I mean, it's pretty much on par with 10-12 year old single malts and some sipping rums, but is priced a good ~$20/bottle costlier than affordable-but-good bourbons such as Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace. If it's at that price point for you guys, including shipping/etc, then it's worthwhile, I'd say.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Today's haul:

IMG_2953.JPG

Discovered a huge stash of old-bottle Plymouth, AND that the Chevy Chase Montgomery County Liquor Store has Myer's Legend!!

That's actually a new bottle Plymouth seems to have recently rolled out for (at least) the 1 liter size. The old bottles look like the one on the right in this picture.

Actually it would seem this is the new design for all their bottlings: http://bpando.org/2012/02/13/packaging-plymouth-gin/

Gotta say, I like it

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Perique

I could not tell from their website whether the nicotine has been removed. It only says "a form that greatly diminishes the health concerns associated with tobacco use."

From what I understand, the nicotine has been removed. From what I understand. In the sense I've seen a blog or four or a review or five that's said, oh, we checked with the company/someone who'd know and they said there was no nicotine in beverage. I'm also fairly certain that in Australia you need a special permit to sell nicotine products in your store. And the place I got it--which is, so far as I know, the only place in Australia that sells it--doesn't have cigars, cigarettes or anything of that nature avaliable. I doubt they'd go to the effort of paying for a permit just to sell what is a fairly obscure form of booze.

The first quote makes it sound like the nicotine is still there, but that may be just a bit of deception.

The second statement sounds pretty vague and I'm not sure AQUIS would know to ask if there was nicotine in booze that is being imported so maybe Nick's is thinking it's better not to ask.

If it helps ADHD, then it probably contains nicotine. Surly you have so student's to test this on.... :cool:

Overall, it seems mostly like a gimmick that I can do without, but I don't have any strong moral objections to others messing around with it. Not like you are going to overdose with those prices and that much sugar.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Perique

The first quote makes it sound like the nicotine is still there, but that may be just a bit of deception.

The second statement sounds pretty vague and I'm not sure AQUIS would know to ask if there was nicotine in booze that is being imported so maybe Nick's is thinking it's better not to ask.

If it helps ADHD, then it probably contains nicotine. Surly you have so student's to test this on.... :cool:

Overall, it seems mostly like a gimmick that I can do without, but I don't have any strong moral objections to others messing around with it. Not like you are going to overdose with those prices and that much sugar.

Ted Breaux's pretty exacting of the quality and safety of his products, I wouldn't worry about any toxicity beyond that of the alcohol itself.

Edited by J_Ozzy (log)

Two relatively new (and completely new to Illinois...I was told these were the first bottles sold at retail here) products from one of my favorite U.S. distillers.

Leopold Brothers Navy Strength American Gin & Fernet Leopold Highland Amaro

AtoNc7XCAAAiwCD.jpg

Leopold's Gin has been one of my favorites going back at least 6 years when I first wandered into their old distillery in Ann Arbor, MI. Their traditional gin has a great balance of juniper and unique citrus notes (pomello, love the pomello), rounded out by familiar spices (clove, coriander, cardamom). My only knock on it has been the low proof...no matter how good it tastes, something about an 80 proof gin doesn't sit right. So, imagine my delight when I heard they were coming out with a higher proof version. My anticipation was heightened, if that was possible, to see if referenced in extremely heady company on Tuesday. To paraphrase a terrible marketing campaign, "Gentlemen, this is gin." It leaps from the bottle and smacks you in the nose, proudly announcing that this is not another one of those "New American" gins striving for the acceptance of the vodka-soda crowd. It hits all the high notes of the original Leopold, but they are amplified...turned up to 11 if you will, because as we know, proof is flavor. As good as it smelled & tasted, I didn't reach for the jigger at the late hour I finally got around to opening it. At 114 proof, it's not going to effortlessly integrate into most (if any) existing gin recipes...this is going to require restraint and judicious thinking, probably some algebra. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

If the gin presented as a sock in the nose, the Fernet Leopold is a warm (bartender's) handshake. It is, of course, evocative of Fernet Branca, the de facto standard-bearer of the genre, but there are also facets all its own (a touch more citrus...orange, I think, certainly less saffron, thankfully in my opinion...and perhaps more spearmint than aloe/eucalyptus). A short pour in a Glencairn glass and all the excesses of earlier in the evening promptly melted away. Will shots happen? Highly likely. But, if so they'll be missing some of the refinement of this amaro. Not to say it isn't bold, but the sharp edges that are characteristic of some more mass-produced liqueurs are absent, and it'd probably be more comfortable with being sipped by the fire.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Two relatively new (and completely new to Illinois...I was told these were the first bottles sold at retail here) products from one of my favorite U.S. distillers.

Leopold Brothers Navy Strength American Gin & Fernet Leopold Highland Amaro

AtoNc7XCAAAiwCD.jpg

Leopold's Gin has been one of my favorites going back at least 6 years when I first wandered into their old distillery in Ann Arbor, MI. Their traditional gin has a great balance of juniper and unique citrus notes (pomello, love the pomello), rounded out by familiar spices (clove, coriander, cardamom). My only knock on it has been the low proof...no matter how good it tastes, something about an 80 proof gin doesn't sit right. So, imagine my delight when I heard they were coming out with a higher proof version. My anticipation was heightened, if that was possible, to see if referenced in extremely heady company on Tuesday. To paraphrase a terrible marketing campaign, "Gentlemen, this is gin." It leaps from the bottle and smacks you in the nose, proudly announcing that this is not another one of those "New American" gins striving for the acceptance of the vodka-soda crowd. It hits all the high notes of the original Leopold, but they are amplified...turned up to 11 if you will, because as we know, proof is flavor. As good as it smelled & tasted, I didn't reach for the jigger at the late hour I finally got around to opening it. At 114 proof, it's not going to effortlessly integrate into most (if any) existing gin recipes...this is going to require restraint and judicious thinking, probably some algebra. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

If the gin presented as a sock in the nose, the Fernet Leopold is a warm (bartender's) handshake. It is, of course, evocative of Fernet Branca, the de facto standard-bearer of the genre, but there are also facets all its own (a touch more citrus...orange, I think, certainly less saffron, thankfully in my opinion...and perhaps more spearmint than aloe/eucalyptus). A short pour in a Glencairn glass and all the excesses of earlier in the evening promptly melted away. Will shots happen? Highly likely. But, if so they'll be missing some of the refinement of this amaro. Not to say it isn't bold, but the sharp edges that are characteristic of some more mass-produced liqueurs are absent, and it'd probably be more comfortable with being sipped by the fire.

Cask strength does seem to be the latest big "thing". The newest edition in the Colonel E.H. Taylor line from Buffalo Trace expected in June is reported to be a barrel proof bourbon weighing in at 134.5 proof.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Just back from my last trip to the U.S. for the foreseeable future, and brought with me a bottle of Ransom Old Tom gin, my first (!) bottle of Punt e Mes, and a bottle of Cocchi Aperitivo Americano. Combined with the three Dolin vermouths I picked up in Montreal a couple of weeks ago, I've got enough aromatized wine to keep me busy for a while, I think!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I still dint buy anything but on my mind for tonight is Somersby :) Friends are comming at my place to watch some movies and all of them REQUIRE Somersby :)

It is our favorite apple cider, very refreshing and nice taste.

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

Sometimes I get a tip that's just so much better than cash.

Nice!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just got back from a week in Barcelona:

a pair of Amer Picon (club), a pair of Plymouth Navy Strength (old bottle and price), Edmundo Dantes 15yr and Santiago de Cuba 11yr rums

Revisiting the Plymouth situation, the local shops in Barcelona were in quite a state of flux (as mentioned upthread, Spain was one of the first markets to see the change). The high end wine & spirits purveyors had the new bottles at the new price (44 Euro... ack), while the mid-range and value-range stores (where stocked) were still selling the old bottle designs at more reasonable pricing (14 and 18 Euro). Given the assumption that the turnover of Gin stocks is primarily tourist-driven, anyone hunting for older bottles there may have better luck on the fringes.

Bitters, bitters, bitters. Friend of mine was, through work, able to order in some bitters at a reasonable price. Normally in Australia non-Angostura bitters are hard to find (a handful of shops sell Fee's bitters and I know of one place that sells $40 bottles of Bittermans). The only problem--and I use the term loosely here, as I like bitters--was that I had to order 12 bottles. Oh. Well.

* Angostura orange

* Regan's orange

* Fee's grapefruit

* Fee's peach

* Fee's whiskey barrel aged

* Fee's black walnut

* Bitter Truth Bitterman's chocolate

* Bitter Truth Creole

* Bitter Truth lemon

* Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter

* Dandelion & Burdock

* Boker's

Will need to figure out what to do with ... most of these. Open to suggestions.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

When I saw the recipe for a Sazerac Improved Brandy Cocktail (cognac, absinthe, simple, bitters, lemon twist) on the label I figured that. Oh well. I wished I'd maybe bought something else instead but then, really, I'm going through the Peychaud's faster than the Angostura or the others bitters I've had since the start, so maybe I'll just set it aside as my replacement Peychaud's.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Amaro Montenegro. Wow. Pretty much a blind purchase, this one. I mean, I had a vague idea about what it was, but it wasn't like I'd tasted it before or even nosed it. Good choice. It's very good. Reminds me, odd as it sounds, of musk sticks--you know, those pink lollies. Possibly I'm dead wrong on this, but I suspect it might work well with Perique. Only one way to find out.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Amaro Montenegro. Wow. Pretty much a blind purchase, this one. I mean, I had a vague idea about what it was, but it wasn't like I'd tasted it before or even nosed it. Good choice. It's very good. Reminds me, odd as it sounds, of musk sticks--you know, those pink lollies. Possibly I'm dead wrong on this, but I suspect it might work well with Perique. Only one way to find out.

Chris- You may want to try your Amaro Montenegro in a Cobble Hill (2 oz rye, 1/2 dry vermouth, 1/2 Montenegro, 3 slices cucumber, stir, strain), a Manhattan variation created by Sam Ross. I tried that cocktail last weekend at the Varnish and it's fantastic.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

The Creole Bitters are amazing. I've subbed them for Peychaud's in Sazeracs, and tried various combinations with some Peychaud's, some Creole, and mixing in some Ango.

I do notice that the Creole Bitters seem to dry out a cocktail, perhaps because they are so spicy. I find myself needing to go slightly heavier on the gum syrup to compensate.

Probably not, unless you got very old stock. The Bitter Truth made (past tense) Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters under contract (which ended a while ago) in their usual dasher bottle. TBT now makes a chocolate bitters of their own, which I have not had but I understand to be pretty chocolate-forward. Bittermens now makes their own Xocolatl Mole bitters (blue dropper bottle). The current version uses the authentic Bittermens recipe; the The Bitter Truth version had some changes (one might say compromises) required to be able to manufacture it in their facility. A bit more detail.

Which one did you get?

I'm very vond of Xocolatl Mole bitters -- complex, deep, and not overtly chocolate. Works great with tequila, of course.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Bitters, bitters, bitters.

* Angostura orange

* Regan's orange

* Fee's grapefruit

* Fee's peach

* Fee's whiskey barrel aged

* Fee's black walnut

* Bitter Truth Creole

* Bitter Truth lemon

* Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter

* Dandelion & Burdock

* Boker's

Man I need to brush up on my drinks, I didn't even know there were that many kinds of bitters!

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I stumbled across the Bloomery Plantation Distillery near Charles Town W. Va. today and bought, among other things, a limoncello which was more tart and less murky than any limoncello available in the liquor stores near me. The owners are actually growing lemon trees in a greenhouse on the property, although I understand the trees are not yet sufficiently mature to produce fruit so they are currently buying lemons grown in California. They are also growing raspberries and plan to use fruit--they mentioned cherries and peaches--grown by local producers to make other distilled products.

Probably not, unless you got very old stock. The Bitter Truth made (past tense) Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters under contract (which ended a while ago) in their usual dasher bottle. TBT now makes a chocolate bitters of their own, which I have not had but I understand to be pretty chocolate-forward. Bittermens now makes their own Xocolatl Mole bitters (blue dropper bottle). The current version uses the authentic Bittermens recipe; the The Bitter Truth version had some changes (one might say compromises) required to be able to manufacture it in their facility. A bit more detail.

Which one did you get?

I'm very vond of Xocolatl Mole bitters -- complex, deep, and not overtly chocolate. Works great with tequila, of course.

So far as these things are concerned, I'm in the Gobi desert, remember. Chances are, any non-Angostura bitters floating around are old stock. The label says 'Bitter Truth Bittermens Xocolatl Mole'. I've only had used it once so far (Don Draper #2: Woodford Reserve, Perique, Regan's orange, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole) but it didn't seem anywhere near as chocolate-forward as the Fee's Aztec Chocolate.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne