• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

jsmeeker

If your local store is stocking Zirbenz and Nux Alpina, they should be able to order Kronan soon as well.

And if anyone is wondering what to do with those two bottles, here's another treat from my friend Josh Loving of Fino Restaurant in Austin:

Ghost of the Pine

3/4 oz 100/101 proof Rye

3/4 oz Zirbenz

1 oz Nux Alpina

dash orange bitters

Stir everything together with cracked ice and strain into a rocks glass with a big cube that has been sprayed with about 4 mists of Lapsang Souchong-infused Mezcal. Garnish with a couple of more sprays on top of the drink. I believe Vida is used for the mister--it's a quick and simple infusion that only requires a couple of ounces to make. I'm sure the drink would still work fine with uninfused Mezcal.

The name is a subtle reference to the devastating fires in the Lost Pines area near Austin last September http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastrop_County_Complex_fire

Yes, I expect Kronan will be available eventually. Just a question of when as Georgia liquor laws seem to be arcane at best. The store thought it might take three months or more. We shall see.

The Ghost of the Pine does indeed sound quite interesting given my recent acquisitions. Will have to figure out a mezcal substitute as I don't currently have Vida. Maybe the Sombra will suffice. It is certainly smokey enough.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Holy Crap. I actually have everything to make this, but I'm kinda scared to. That's a mouthful of Nocino. OTOH, you haven't steered me wrong. Much.

Dan, of everyone on this board, this is most your kind of drink. The big ice is clutch.

The Ghost of the Pine does indeed sound quite interesting given my recent acquisitions. Will have to figure out a mezcal substitute as I don't currently have Vida. Maybe the Sombra will suffice. It is certainly smokey enough.

Sombra should be fine.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Yes, I expect Kronan will be available eventually. Just a question of when as Georgia liquor laws seem to be arcane at best. The store thought it might take three months or more. We shall see.

Tanstaafl2 -- I saw a bottle of Kronan at H&F about 3 hours ago!

Must have just missed you as I bought a bottle there about 2 1/2 hours ago.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

After another one of my irregular hermitages home to NYC I ended up back at home with bottles of Willet Rye, Basil Hayden's 8yo bourbon, Booker's 7o single barrel and a bottle of Duquesne Rhum Agricole (I've never had a rhum agricole before so looking forward to trying it).

• 2 weeks later...

6717333125_e06014f02c_z.jpg

Stopped in at the LCBO today and grabbed a couple of things. I was wanting to compare the Luxardo Amaretto to the Di Saronno which I've used in truffle fillings for years. I had no idea which tequila to purchase - there were a couple of choices but with no experience I just went for one in the middle of the price range (and I liked the bottle).

6717333125_e06014f02c_z.jpg

Stopped in at the LCBO today and grabbed a couple of things. I was wanting to compare the Luxardo Amaretto to the Di Saronno which I've used in truffle fillings for years. I had no idea which tequila to purchase - there were a couple of choices but with no experience I just went for one in the middle of the price range (and I liked the bottle).

In my opinion there's no comparison between the Luxardo and the Di Saronno. If I can't get the Luxardo, I just won't have an amaretto in my cabinet. But that's just my opinion.

I really like the Havana Club blanco. That and the El Dorado 6 year silver are probably my favorite whites that I can get at the LCBO.

The only reposado available where I live is the Milagro... so that's what I have.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 weeks later...

Half bottles of Drambuie and Domaine de Canton (a cognac-based ginger liqueur that's only recently been released/promoted in Australia). And, too, Angostura 5, Cynar, Pisco Control, Maraska apricot brandy and a random, spur-of-the-moment purchase: creme de cassis.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 2 weeks later...

I found the liquor selection at the duty free in Ezeiza airport in Buenos Aires to be rather depressing. The usual brand name stuff but not much in the unusual spirits. Couldn't even find Havana Club which surprised me. Wine selection was decent although you can get a lot of Argentine wines in the States these days so I went with the Familia Zuccardi Malamado port style malbec dessert wine. Can be found in the States I think but may take some effort. Had it in a lovely puertas carradas and rather enjoyed it.

IMG_6064mod.jpg

So after settling back in on my return from BA and points rather farther south I noted I had a voice mail and emails from my friendly neighborhood liquor store consultants. Decided I needed to pop in and indulge some impulse buys!

IMG_6060mod.jpg

IMG_6063mod.jpg

IMG_6062mod.jpg

First was a bourbon from the Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection that was made with rice. Now there is something different. Not necessarily good, but certainly different! There was also a version using oats. Reviews seemed rather down on the oat version and just so so on the rice and it was obscenely expensive but what the hell, isn't that what an impulse buy is for???

Also on offer was the 2010 Summer release of Kilchoman, the newest Islay single malt whisky distillery, and apparently the first released in the US. Very young so a bit fiery without the smoothing out in sherry casks as was the case with past releases and reportedly full of peat but the reviews seemed encouraging so I added it to the collection.

Got a wild hair and wanted to try some grappa so I picked up a bottle of Romana Carlo Grappa di Dolcetto on the recommendation of the staff as a good place to start without busting the budget, like it wasn't busted already.

And for good measure decided to get a bottle of Mathilde Framboise liqueur for use on some homemade vanilla ice cream and whatever other things I can think of. I have lots of Chambord but thought I would try something different as a comparison.

Tonight I think it will be a bit of grappa followed by ice cream topped with framboise liqueur. The rice bourbon and scotch will have to keep until another time!

Maybe tomorrow...

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

~tanstaafl2

750's of Luxardo Triplum and the last bottle of Luxardo maraschino that DrinkupNY had in stock, at 10:00pm after Aikido practice and a few beers at the bar afterwards. You gotta have the basics, man, you just gotta.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Had to pick up a couple of bottles of wine and whilst at the store I learned that the latest bottle of the Colonel E.H. Taylor bourbon, the Warehouse C Tornado Surviving BIB, had just arrived. A quick run through some reviews led me to conclude I should acquire it as well!

Buffalo Trace Press Release

At another store I found that they had just started bringing in BG Reynolds syrups so I picked up a bottle of Passion Fruit syrup since I just recently got the Beachbum Berry Remixed book along with the PDT Cocktail. book. Spring is coming and I feel some tiki coming in my future!

Since Dave mentioned Grade B maple syrup was pretty common I popped by the nearest grocery store on the way home and sure enough, hidden in a back corner gathering dust, there was a bottle of Grade B syrup (Canadian source again). It was the only one of the 5 or 6 brands available that was Grade B but it was there. And as noted a little cheaper than the others which is always a plus!

IMG_6071mod.jpg

IMG_6068mod.jpg

And finally I couldn't find it on the way back from Argentina but a friend returning from South Africa was kind enough to "smuggle" in a 1 liter bottle of Havana Club Añejo Reserva to further help me prepare for tiki season!

IMG_6075mod.jpg

All in all a pretty good days work.

~tanstaafl2

Picked up a few goodies at Hi-Time Wine Cellars yesterday.

6936472189_4299bb3c6b_z.jpg

I noticed that they had the Buffalo Trace "experimental" bourbon that was mentioned upthread, along with a large number of other things that I decided to pass on, at least for now...

I inadvertently moved to a semi-dry county in December (beer & wine only) so it's been a while since I saw the inside of a liquor store. Today, however, I went for a quick jaunt and discovered a bottle of the new Plantation Overproof, which I'd heard rumors of last year. I think a nightcap will be in order.

Side note: Also saw the Pages Creme de Menthe (they call it something else, but that's what it appears to be), and the nearly $30 price tag piqued my interest. Anybody have firsthand experience with this?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Tri,

That El Dorado White 6 is high on my list of things I'd love to acquire. Alas, here in Texas it seems like there are a half dozen distributors, none of which get the product out into distribution.

Thanks,

Zachary

Tri,

That El Dorado White 6 is high on my list of things I'd love to acquire. Alas, here in Texas it seems like there are a half dozen distributors, none of which get the product out into distribution.

Thanks,

Zachary

You of all people should know that fulfilling consumer demand is just not what distributors are in to in this state. :wink:

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Andy,

Yeah... speaking of things that should be in wider distribution, Pierre Ferrand 1840 is awesome, but very atypical for modern Cognac. It's drier, some alcohol (90 proof), but has a fantastic texture and almost seems to be sweetened.

Thanks,

Zachary

The package designer of the El Dorado 6 white bottle managed to make it look like flavored vodka.

Yeah, but if you're easily entertained like me, the panel with the ship in it is actually just a blank clear panel. The ship is actually on the back of the bottle. Unless you look at the panel from within the right viewing area, you can't see that there's a ship at all.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The package designer of the El Dorado 6 white bottle managed to make it look like flavored vodka.

Yeah, but if you're easily entertained like me, the panel with the ship in it is actually just a blank clear panel. The ship is actually on the back of the bottle. Unless you look at the panel from within the right viewing area, you can't see that there's a ship at all.

It is interesting that Ed Hamilton in his review here suggested that this is lighter in taste than the El Dorado 3yo and would be a good rum to introduce to vodka drinkers. Indeed, he seemed to suggest that if he did not know it was rum he might think it was something else (like a flavored vodka perhaps?). Those comments start at about 7:15 in the video.

I suppose there is a purpose for this product (rather like "botanical" gins?) but if I wanted to drink rum I think I would want it to taste like rum and if I were adding it to a drink it would be for the rum character it would brink to the drink.

~tanstaafl2

I suppose there is a purpose for this product (rather like "botanical" gins?) but if I wanted to drink rum I think I would want it to taste like rum and if I were adding it to a drink it would be for the rum character it would brink to the drink.

The purpose for this product, for me, is because I'm a curious S.O.B.

I suppose there is a purpose for this product (rather like "botanical" gins?) but if I wanted to drink rum I think I would want it to taste like rum and if I were adding it to a drink it would be for the rum character it would bring to the drink.

The purpose for this product, for me, is because I'm a curious S.O.B.

Yeah, I suffer from that same disease!

:biggrin:

~tanstaafl2