• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

jsmeeker

A bottle of Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye as a Christmas present, and a bottle of Mount Gay Extra Old that was mispriced on the shelf for $17.99. Oh, and they had Homere Clement for what I think is about $10 under going retail, but it was still $90.

Thanks,

Zachary

While traveling through Panama City I picked up a bottle of Flor de Cana Centenario 12 year rum from Nicaragua. Paid $24 U.S. Now a word to the wise, after you clear customs put your purchase from the duty free into your baggage before re-checking. I did not and in going through U.S. security they would not let the bottle through so I had to but it on the plane as a separate package and it cost $10 more.

This will not happen to me again.

So, I opened the bottle the other night - very nice, smooth, similar to a very dry brandy. Soon, on cold winter nights in front of the fire Flor de Cana will come in very handy.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Annual November clearance sale at one of the local liquor chains. Walked in 10 minutes after open and there were some shelves that were already bare.

Picked up some Lapostolle Armagnac XO, Canadian Club sherry cask, splits of champagne and a bunch of incredibly low-priced (for my locale) airplane bottles of Beefeater.

I figure I'm set for travel-sized French 75s for the next little while.

Every time I get a case of wine, mostly vinho verde for the spouse, I slip in a bottle or two . . .

this time it was Kiuchi No Shizuku Hitachino, which I've been dying to try since I first heard about it -- really nice, hard to categorize since it's somewhat single malt-like in character, but lighter, and the orange and coriander notes make it more like a genever.

Plus a bottle of Ferrand Ambre, because I'm running low on brandy, and this seems one of the better lower-price brands, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Plus a bottle of Ferrand Ambre, because I'm running low on brandy, and this seems one of the better lower-price brands, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

If you like it, you're not wrong.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I was awfully curious about Kiuchi no Shizuku, hoping it could be categorized as a unique new style of gin or other aromatized spirit. Well, it wasn't quite that... It certainly smells like witbier, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. Tried using it as the base in a martini, then when that proved too overwhelming i tried it in place of the vermouth in a martini. As the bottle is so tiny and expensive, I can't bring myself to use it in many gin cocktails (I saw it suggested here that it makes a good Last Word, but I'm not about to find out.)

Edited by Tsiologist (log)

-Tyler

Drink Instigator

IMG_0834.JPG

My second backup bottle of Mount Gay XO, since the Montgomery County, MD monopoly has had it on blowout for $35 since late summer and the sale is about to end...(yes, I now have 2 unopened bottles)

Kraken because apparently I was a good host and spent most of my original bottle on guests, and it's almost gone

A full 750ml Cointreau to finally replace the 375ml I bought over 2 years ago

And, on sale for $11, St Remy XO French brandy. Never heard of it, but $11 for an XO? OK! Sipping it now....I have never had something so smooth and yet so devoid of major character. It tastes like a generic aged brown spirit, maybe with some sherry or wine notes, but not much else. Still, I'm going to be using this for Sidecars, Japaneses, etc, so I'm satisfied enough.

Not so much the 'liquor store,' but rather a coconut processing camp on an island in the Mekong river...what was described as 'coconut moonshine'. A pretty rough distillate at just under 30% abv. Slightly sweet, nicely nutty. Will be mixing with rum forthwith.

P.s. Don't mind the tacky T-shirt, the sale of which likely runs afoul of various trade dress laws.

453116751.jpg

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

In my ongoing quest to gain a better appreciation of rye in all its manifestations I learned that Woodford Reserve was doing a pairing of rye as part of their Master's Collection for this year.

Woodford Reserve Rare Rye Selection

Today I was able to pick up one for myself. A bit spendy but the reviews seemed intriguing as I rather enjoy the notion of having the opportunity to try the comparisons between the two versions.

IMG_5537mod.jpg

Quite interesting how much lighter the aged cask bottling is compared to the Straight Rye Whiskey. It is the same 100% rye formulation aged for essentially the same amount of time (roughly 7 years I think) with the only difference being the barrels. Descriptions suggest that the aged cask version is much more grain forward than the new cask version which takes on much more of its characteristics from the barrel. Little icons on the bottle help to emphasize the point (the barrel is pretty visible in the picture under "Rye" on the left bottle but the stalks of rye shown on the right bottle are not as evident because of the lighter color).

These are 375 ml bottles that come in a boxed set. Nice but I would have happily forgone the box for a little more whiskey! Might bring them along to Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and give them a try.

Whilst at the store I also decided to pick up a bottle of the M&R Rosato to give the recently described Antihero a try. The "Cold Comfort" listed just below it sounded interesting as well!

Also thought the drink for thanksgiving described by KC Dan here sounded interesting but couldn't find the Clear Creek Cranberry liqueur. I wonder if Chambord or perhaps Creme Yvette might be a good substitute? Not cranberry of course but I already have both of those so it saves on buying another bottle of something. Might try subbing Calvados as well to give it a French theme.

Probably will go the sweet direction. Perhaps the spiced simple syrup I made recently might add something as well?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Not a "what I got" post, a "should I bother" post. The LCBO just released Licor 43 to some of it's stores... is it worth the trouble to see if I can get it to my local store?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Today or this week rather have been Leblon Cachaca, Four roses Yellow label (infused with bacon for drink making at the houses i visited for thanksgiving, Rothman and Winter Orchard Apricot Liqueur (also for use with bacon bourbon).

Edited by ThatNateGuy (log)

ThatNateGuy:

Talk to me about what you're doing with bacon infused bourbon and R&W Apricot. I'm intrigued as that sounds delicious...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Tri,

To answer your question, 43 is really sweet, and sort of vanilla-citrus. I think it's something that I would try first before I went and bought a whole bottle.

Thanks,

Zachary

Yeah, I'm mainly wondering if it's going to come up in my adventures in learning about cocktails enough that I'll wish I had it if I don't get it. A pre-purchase tasting isn't an option where I live.

YES!! The Di Saronna is made from apricot pits, not real almonds. The Luxardo is infinitely tastier both because it actually tastes like almonds, is less sweet and has that bitter edge of good Marcona almonds. A vastly superior product IMHO.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Started a small wine collection -- a mixture of Australian, French and New Zealand, mostly. Hoping to age them for 2-10 years.

2008 Devil's Rock Pinot Noir

2007 Guigal Cotes du Rhone

2007 Domaine Mazurd La Grande Bellane Valreas Cotes du Rhone Villages

2007 Domaine La Fourmente Nature Cotes du Rhone Villages

2005 Chateau Rousselle Cru Bourgeois

2009 Domaine des Escaravailles La Ponce Rasteau

2009 Lafite Rothschild Barons de Rothschild Collection Speciale Reserve Bordeaux

2009 Greywacke Wild Sauvignon

2009 Chateau Bizard Serre de Courrent Coteaux du Tricastin

2008 Amancaya Malbec Cabernet Sauvignon

2008 Warrabilla Reserve Durif

2009 Scotchmans Hill Pinot Noir

2008 Waipara Hills Pinot Noir (one of my favourite pinot noirs)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

@Katie Loeb (in regards to drinks using the R&W Apricot and the Bacon Infused 4 roses...

Well one of my favorites to make with these two is a tasty fizz using the following proportions:

1.5oz Bourbon

1oz R&W Apricot

.5oz Maple Syrup

.5oz Fresh Lime

1 Egg White

3 dash pecan bitters

dot foam with 3 dots angostura bitters.

Its Amazing!

OK, its Sunday so obviously I didn't buy this today, but does Tuesday count as close enough?

There's a new Smirnoff in town and its tasty. Marshmallow vodka. They had a tasting, I really was just there for bourbon but got suckered in. I also bought some Knob Creek.

The Smirnoff went into a chocolate "martini" cocktail thing that kept me from strangling folks while I smoked the turkeys. It was too early for strait bourbon.

Spent the last weekend in Montreal - as reported on over here.

A different province means different provincial liquor stores. Visits to 3 stores around the city allowed me to put together this haul. My suitcase was only 0.6 kg over the weight limit.

6406544887_7e757bdb7c_o.jpg

I've finally decided to start working more with cocktails so I decided to get some essentials - The Bitter Truth bitters travelers pack (celery, old time, orange, creole and Jerry Thomas bitters) and their grapefruit bitters. Also some Cardamaro Amaro.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory