• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

jsmeeker

The St. George's absinthe is delicious, so I can only imagine that the gins are of equal quality. Please report back. I didn't even know they were making gins, but since I live in a state that gets everything months/years after everyone else that isn't too surprising.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Haven't had their absinthe but have heard good things about it so I look forward to trying the gin. I generally chill a new gin slightly and give it a go neat to see what it is like. I hope to give this one a taste this weekend.

I also plan to give the new Rusty Blade gin I got recently a try as well.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

A bottle of Skyy and a bottle of Everclear. Making vanilla extract, not for drinking, but this is the first time I've had something to reply with!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

This is what I brought back from a trip to France a couple of weeks ago. The Picon is for a bartender friend, we already have a bottle.

I went to a neighborhood supermarket in Paris and was shocked to see that they had a huge selection of rhum agricoles that I had never see before. And most of them were below 20 euros a bottle. They had about a dozen of white agricole rums (including St James, Maurin, Trois Rivieres, Clement, etc), and at least twice as many aged agricoles. It was quite a sight. I chose the Damoiseau because I know it's not distributed in the US. Also my mother brought a few artisanal rums from Guadeloupe last year that were excellent so I wanted to try more.

6308211698_f04ffa6925_z.jpg

Not exactly the liquor store but my friend returned from Kenya by way of Amsterdam and brought a new addition to the "family".

IMG_5469mod.jpg

Bols 10yo Corenwyn joins the growing Genever family! Not really even sure what to expect from it but it should be interesting to find out.

IMG_5459mod.jpg

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Here's what I picked up today:

Yup, nothing. Walked on this nice fall day an hour or so to the store with a knapsack. Picked out 8 bottles -- some restocks (Aperol, Dolin dry, Cocchi Vermouth, Gran Classico) and some new experiments (The Bitter Truth Elixir, Blume Marillen apricot eau de vie, Zu, El Dorado 15). Left my Mastercard at home and they refused to take Amex or a check. Walked home empty handed, disappointed, and strangely relieved. Buyer's remorse averted.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

My recent haul:

IMG_1593.JPG

The Mathilde Poire is beautiful. Like drinking a pear. I haven't played with the Amere Nouvelle much yet, but it's very tasty on its own. I really love the Amer Savauge. I've been plugging it into as many recipes calling for Suze as I can find. The White Negroni and the Two Cups of Blood are the best I've found so far. The Citadel Gin is delicious. I don't know if "creamy" is a valid description for a London Dry Gin, but it's the first thing that comes to mind. Or maybe "silky". Maybe I need another sip. Finally there's the Great King Street. Well, I definitely have a new mixing Scotch. Nothing else compares.

The real haul, though, came after I took this photo. I visited one of my local liquor stores this weekend and noticed a bottle high up on the shelf behind the register that must have been staring me in the face for years without me realizing it. A 2008 bottle of George T Stagg Bourbon. The 141.8 Proof one. At $68 too.

Jackpot.

Poured myself a sip today, uncut. Man, that's delicious stuff.

Dan

IMG_20111105_2109511.jpg

I had a taste of this at a local fine dining restaurant as the dessert part of a wine flight and fell in love with it. I don't have a photo of it before it was opened, guess I couldn't wait to get it opened. It has a nice taste of roasted macadamia, is sweet, but barely not too sweet. It is a schnapps equivalent, meant to be sipped, and not taken as a shot. I can drink several, finding them not overly sweet, and also not too strong.

I plan to start mixing it with coffee or maybe Bailey's to start and going from there.

IMG_20111105_2109511.jpg

I had a taste of this at a local fine dining restaurant as the dessert part of a wine flight and fell in love with it. I don't have a photo of it before it was opened, guess I couldn't wait to get it opened. It has a nice taste of roasted macadamia, is sweet, but barely not too sweet. It is a schnapps equivalent, meant to be sipped, and not taken as a shot. I can drink several, finding them not overly sweet, and also not too strong.

I plan to start mixing it with coffee or maybe Bailey's to start and going from there.

A drink I like to make at parties than can use the Macadamia liqueur to good effect is a "dessert shooter" I call a "Chocolate Chip Cookie". The Macadamia nut liqueur is one I use as a variation to the original recipe. It began as a tequila based shooter called "Chocology" (From a book called Magarita Rocks by Henry Besant and Andres Masso) but I more typically use vanilla vodka these days.

3.5 oz (100 ml) Añejo tequila (I usually substitute Absolut Vanilla vodka rather than use up a nice tequila)

1.75 oz (50 ml) Frangelico (I often substitute Trader Vic Macadamia nut liqueur to give it a Hawaiian connection)

1.75 oz (50 ml) chocolate liqueur (Usually Godiva chocolate liqueur)

0.5 oz (15 ml) agave syrup (or 1:1 simple will work)

Pour all ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake well. Single strain into chilled shot glasses. Grate a bit of white and/or dark chocolate on top if you are feeling all Martha Stewart-y (optional, after the second or third of these nobody much notices the garnish...). Makes four shots.

Both versions are excellent (at least to me) but the vanilla vodka in place of tequila obviously makes for a different drink. Can be sipped as preferred. Quite nice if you like an occasional party shooter that is a little bit "sophisticated".

~tanstaafl2

My order from DrinkUpNY just arrived. I gave up after trying to find these bottles in San Diego for several months now, and not being able to order them through my usual channels.

So I got a bottle of Bols genever, although not as nice as the one tanstaafl2 posted upthread. I will use it to make John Collins. I've been introduced to that drink at my favorite bar in San Diego, the Noble Experiment, and really enjoyed it. The Clement Creole Shrubb will be used in Trader Vic's Mai Tais. I plan on comparing it side by side with Grand Marnier and Cointreau in that drink. The El Dorado will be also used for tiki drinks. Lastly, the Xocolatl bitters were simply too intriguing to pass up.

6307835345_4b27ce8326_z.jpg

Oh dear, I would love some El D 12 (or 15...) Also curious to try the Creole Shrubb!

I'm still just getting settled in Chicago, and have yet to rebuild my bar selection to its former glory.

First things first, I had to get me a new bottle of Chartreuse. Now that we are reunited, everything will be ok.

But I've been without any gin whatsoever for several months now, and I finally got around to picking up:

Beefeater (obligatory)

Ransom (this is the first time I've owned a bottle, and I'm soooo excited!)

a mini 375 of Benedictine

Pimm's (for the heck of it)

and a bottle of everclear so I can get back to making some bitters and tinctures I've been planning on for a while.

It feels good to be home at last!

321160_10101075406149319_6827099_69890095_213342783_n1.jpg

-Tyler

Drink Instigator

The Ransome substitutes surprisingly well for whiskey in certain applications. Try a Ransome Sazerac or Old Fashioned and let me know what you thought...

edited to add:

Oh yes. And don't neglect treating yourself to a Ransone Martinez. Best thing ever.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie, you're quite right. I may have spoken too soon about the Ransom Improved; a Ransom Sazerac is just genius! I'll often ask a bartender to make me one when I'm out of ideas and just want something damn good.

I'm sure it was here that I saw the suggestion (maybe Mr. Amirault's?)

-Tyler

Drink Instigator

Found some new friends for the Sazerac rye I picked up recently!

IMG_5493mod.jpg

Got a call from the store indicating they had a few other bottles from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and would I be interested? Why yes, I believe I would! So the barrel proof Stagg bourbon and Handy rye will now find a place in the liquor cabinet next to the Sazerac rye. Might as well go for all five at this point so I am now in search of the Weller and Eagle Rare. The Weller is out but I don't think the Eagle Rare has been released yet.

While I was there I also refreshed my supply of the Espolon reposado and then made a pass by the H&F bottle shop. To my surprise I discovered they had just gotten in several bottles of the original formula of Lemon Hart 151. Was tempted to buy several bottles but limited myself to just one. Now I can do my own comparison between the old and new versions.

So if anyone in the Atlanta area is interested in a bottle of the original Lemon Hart I suggest you beat feet down there soon! They still had 2 or 3 bottles on the shelf. Not sure if they have more in inventory and of course they aren't making anymore (I have no affiliation with the shop other than as an occasional customer).

Went there originally to see what bitters they had on hand. No Bittermens at present but I did get a "travel pack" from the Bitter Truth which included Celery, Creole, Orange, Aromatic and Jerry Thomas bitters. Was mostly interested in the Celery bitters which it turns out smells more like ginger than celery. The Creole reminds me of Peychauds and the Aromatic and Jerry Thomas smell somewhat similar although the Aromatic is naturally a bit more, well, aromatic...

They also had a copy of a new book about Bitters called Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas by Brad Thomas Parsons. Interesting looking but probably already out of date given the rapidly evolving market. A mix of history, descriptions of companies and some drink recipes.

Finally on an impulse buy I picked up a four pack of Fentimans Shandy. Rather tasty I must say!

~tanstaafl2

Now I can do my own comparison between the old and new versions.

Please DO let us know your findings. I'm a bit paranoid about getting my hands on a bottle of the old LH151 (tasted but never owned).

So far, reviews seem promising that quality has not suffered, but I'm in no position to say whether or not the overall character is a true recreation. I may like to snag an old bottle (read: some old bottles) while I have access to such resources.

Anyone else have word on this issue? (Sorry to get off topic...)

-Tyler

Drink Instigator

Now I can do my own comparison between the old and new versions.

Please DO let us know your findings. I'm a bit paranoid about getting my hands on a bottle of the old LH151 (tasted but never owned).

So far, reviews seem promising that quality has not suffered, but I'm in no position to say whether or not the overall character is a true recreation. I may like to snag an old bottle (read: some old bottles) while I have access to such resources.

Anyone else have word on this issue? (Sorry to get off topic...)

is what Ed Hamilton and Martin Cate have to say on this topic.

For those of you who don't care to watch... the answer is that there is no detectable difference that would rise beyond the types of batch-to-batch differences seen in the old product.

Yep, I noted that link recently as well. That said it never hurts to be able to check for yourself!

I tried them both once before at a dinner hosted by Ed Hamilton a few weeks ago but under less than ideal circumstances. And as much as I enjoyed meeting Ed and believe he appeared to be a straight shooter so to speak, he is still the distributor of the new stuff. So it would seem beneficial for him to note that it is still the same good stuff others knew and loved in the old bottling.

So anywho, I look forward to sitting down and doing my own head to head comparison! If I can round up a few friends to help me judge so much the better!

And I will be happy to share my thoughts afterwards for what ever it is worth.

~tanstaafl2

As I suspected now that the store knows I will come and buy a bottle that I request it was not hard to pry a new bottle away from them to add to my liquor cabinet.

And so "Will" joins George, Thomas and "Saz" in the growing Antique Collection family. Now we are just waiting on the arrival of "Eagle", the wayward hippy brother from the the commune....

IMG_5504mod.jpg

IMG_5508mod_1.jpg

I am a fan of cream liqueurs so I tend to drink my dessert in the evening. I recently finished off a bottle of Amarula Cream and since I have been enjoying El Dorado rum of late I decided to replace it with a bottle of El Dorado rum cream which I have not had before. I was also given a bottle of Cruzan rum cream recently so I will have to do a little comparing. Still have some Castries as well that needs some attention so it looks like a Caribbean theme for dessert for awhile.

IMG_5523mod.jpg

I look forward to dessert tonight!

~tanstaafl2

Don't know if anyone else has gotten around to it since I posted the recipe, but I had to make a batch of spiced simple syrup last night for some sangria I served at an event this evening. I slipped a few paper thin slices of peeled fresh ginger in with all the other spices simply because I had it lying around and hated to see it go to waste. It was an excellent addition. Made the syrup have just a bit more heat and kick. Good stuff. Haven't tried it in anything else but the sangria thus far, but will report back. I wish I had a bottle of Scarlet Ibis in the house. I've got the Smith & Cross and would love to test drive it in an Old Fashioned #6. Might have to scrounge for an alternative rum just to make that happen...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

And so "Will" joins George, Thomas and "Saz" in the growing Antique Collection family. Now we are just waiting on the arrival of "Eagle", the wayward hippy brother from the the commune....

Unless you're a completionist, I'm not sure you'd regret skipping the Eagle Rare 17 year. It's typically the least interesting of the batch. I'm absolutely in love with this year's WLW. Probably the best wheated bourbon I've ever tasted, Pappy's included.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Unless you're a completionist, I'm not sure you'd regret skipping the Eagle Rare 17 year. It's typically the least interesting of the batch. I'm absolutely in love with this year's WLW. Probably the best wheated bourbon I've ever tasted, Pappy's included.

I look forward to trying the Weller. My favorite of the three Single Oak Project bourbons that I have proved to be a wheated bourbon.

Good to know about the Eagle Rare. Having already expressed my interest at the store I will no doubt go ahead and get it this year if the opportunity arises just to try for myself and to follow through with the store so that I keep a place on their list for hard to find items. Still hoping to score some of the Pappy when it becomes available. Being able to try them all this year will also help me narrow my focus for subsequent years.

And yes, I admit I am sufficiently OCD to want to "complete the set" at this point!

~tanstaafl2