• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

jsmeeker

Always nice to see more quality ryes on the market -- and at $31/750ml it's not outrageously priced either.

Huh. K&L here had the Bulleit for $22, which I thought was a pretty good price. Only had a sip so far, but thought it was pretty nice.

Not really the liquor store but I think I've decided to give Okanagan Spirits a shot. I'm going to try their Aquavit, their Taboo Absinthe, a liqueur and an eau de vie. They have a nice selection of fruit liqueurs, eaux de vie and grappas so, if I'm happy with the test order, I have a longer list I'll go back for later. They have some interesting sounding eaux de vie but I'll probably start with something basic like apricot for the taste test. I'm also intrigued by their Sea Buckthorn Liqueur but will probably go with the cherry for the test since it can sub in for the stuff I use now in drinks I'm already familiar with.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A bottle of Grey Goose and a bottle of Old Ezra 101 proof Kentucky Bourbon. I usually buy Maker's Mark, but thought I'd break away this time. Haven't tried the Old Ezra yet.

A bottle of Luksusowa. I know nothing about it. I already have a grain vodka so I figured I might as well have a potato vodka too. This is the only one available locally (and it only showed up in the local store a few days ago) so, good or bad, I bought it. I'm guessing that, based on common vodka definitions, having both is redundant but it wasn't expensive so I'm not too worried about it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A bottle of Luksusowa. I know nothing about it. I already have a grain vodka so I figured I might as well have a potato vodka too. This is the only one available locally (and it only showed up in the local store a few days ago) so, good or bad, I bought it. I'm guessing that, based on common vodka definitions, having both is redundant but it wasn't expensive so I'm not too worried about it.

Although I drink vodka only on rare occasions, my roommate's go to drink is a Vespar, and we swear by this stuff. ~$14 around here and you cant tell the difference between this and any of the expensive grain vodkas.

Made a trip this afternoon. Got a bottle of Corralejo Blanco Tequila--on closeout for $21! I should have bought the other bottles they had. Also picked up Pimm's No. 1, Ron Bacrcelo Anejo Rum, and Landy Cognac; plus Jim Beam Rye and Beefeater because they were on sale.

A bottle of Luksusowa. I know nothing about it.

Luksusowa is a very good potato vodka, and a good price, too. Worst thing about it is trying to pronounce the name. If you ever see Boyd & Blair up your way, give that a try, too.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

The old Lemon Hart 151 is back for a limited time and only in eight states. Mr. "Ministry of Rum" Ed Hamilton is distributing the last of 481 cases of Pernod Ricard stock.

I've heard reports that bars are snapping this up, so not sure how easy it will be to find at stores. I worked out a deal with the local distributor, who sent a bottle over to my grocery store liquor department.

As Wayne Curtis details on his blog Slow Cocktails, once the Pernod Ricard stock is sold out Hamilton will be distributing Lemon Hart 151 with a new label and a different rum inside. The distiller claims the recipe is better than the original. Perhaps I'll regret snapping up one of these old bottles, but I least I now have one on my liquor shelf.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Finally got a bottle of Lemonhart 151...

Wow -- it's back!? Anyone see it in the NY/NJ area yet? I didn't see it at Astor Wines last weekend.

Dan

I was wondering the exact same thing? Does anyone have any news about this?

Ed Hamilton (via Caribbean Spirits) managed to negotiate the release of the last production lot from Walkerville, Ontario. Apparently Mosaiq (brand owner) intends to bring it back to market in the near future, but this will be the last bit for a while.

The old Lemon Hart 151 is back for a limited time and only in eight states. Mr. "Ministry of Rum" Ed Hamilton is distributing the last of 481 cases of Pernod Ricard stock.

I've heard reports that bars are snapping this up, so not sure how easy it will be to find at stores. I worked out a deal with the local distributor, who sent a bottle over to my grocery store liquor department.

I was able to find some at Hi Time. The guy on the phone said that they have a couple of cases, and didnt realize how rare it was.