• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lard in non-pastry baked goods instead of butter

Lora

While weighing out the butter for chocolate-chip cookies today, I realized I only had 8 oz of the 10 oz I needed. Going to the freezer for another package, I spied an open package of my home-rendered lard. I shrugged and used it for the last 2 oz.

I haven't baked off the dough yet (it's undergoing a fridge rest). I don't expect a lot of performance difference though, due to the small amount, nor taste difference, since the butter is a strong-flavored cultured farmhouse type which should win. But it got me thinking about other uses for my lard.

I use it for biscuits and pie dough, usually about 50/50 with butter, but what about other baked goods that use solid fats? Cookies? Cakes? Anybody have tips or pointers for what to expect for flavor, texture, and performance if lard is subbed for butter or shortening?

There are a couple of traditional Spanish cookies that use it. Here's a good recipe for Bizcochitos. The final result is crisper than other fats, similar to butter but harder. Obviously, it's lacking 'buttery' flavor, so the final result won't be as seemingly rich as a butter cookie.

Since lard is 100% fat, it does affect some formulas (like cakes) that were created for butter, because butter is 20% water. Your current blend won't be radically different because the percentage of lard is low. However, if you are looking to alter future recipes, you might want to look at formulas that call for high ratio shortening, as that also has no water in it.

Some recipes rely on the water/fat emulsion in butter to further emulsify other ingredients -like the procedure for making a savory beurre blanc sauce. Be cautious of any recipe where you are asked to beat or mix in small bits of butter over time, like brioche or some sweet doughs.

Some recipes rely on the water/fat emulsion in butter to further emulsify other ingredients -like the procedure for making a savory beurre blanc sauce. Be cautious of any recipe where you are asked to beat or mix in small bits of butter over time, like brioche or some sweet doughs.

Now that's a shame, because a lard-and-bacon-fat brioche seems like a potential thing of beauty...

Lard, bacon fat and shortening all have very similar properties and react the same in baking. Butter has a different melting point and less fat content, more water so it may produce different characteristics in texture and taste. Cookies and puff pastry, and pie crusts are probably the things that will demonstrate the most difference in texture.

Especially in the south, cooks used lard instead of butter in cakes, cookies, breads and so on.

In England there are several traditional cakes that use lard instead of butter.

The Wiltshire "Lardy Cake" is probably the best knows. There are many recipes on the 'net but I have tried this one and found it to be superior to the others I have tried.

I also have a similar recipe, that also includes saffron, in one of my older cookbooks from England, but I can't put my hands on it right now. It might be in storage as I don't have bookcase room for all my cookbooks so rotate them from time to time.

Here's another mention of lardy cake &etc

I make a spice cake with lard - the lard and sugars (both white and brown) are creamed and beaten until very light and fluffy then combined with the eggs and spices - then this mixture is chilled a bit before adding the flour.

I'll type it up and post it later - I don't know if it is due to the chilling but this cake gets a lot of rise and is quite light and moist. It's not heavy as so many spice cakes are.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am a big lard fan, both for frying (doughnuts/fritters) and baking. I use lard in my blueberry and other fruit muffins in addition to biscuits and pie dough. Here are two recipes for lard in cakes: one an apple cake made with whole wheat flour, one a sour cherry upside-down cake. I also make a coffeecake with lard. I like it anywhere I want an old-fashioned richness.