• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help, I need to buy a real pro shaker

Fat Guy

Glad to have helped.

I've recently switched to a pair of koriko tins, my first real pro shaker. This was pretty much a necessity due to a trapped nerve which means I have to shake one handed with my weaker arm, there was no way I could do this with my previous Boston shaker.

I like them a lot, I'm not sure I'll go back to glass.

I've recently switched to a pair of koriko tins, my first real pro shaker. This was pretty much a necessity due to a trapped nerve which means I have to shake one handed with my weaker arm, there was no way I could do this with my previous Boston shaker.

I like them a lot, I'm not sure I'll go back to glass.

Mine arrive tomorrow!

• 9 months later...

This evening I could no longer put off de-tarnishing one of my silver Barons.  The silver was dark brown.  But the point of the post is how to keep the silver from tarnishing in the first place.

The Baron that was badly tarnished lives on the counter and is seldom used.  The pristine silver Baron lives in the freezer and is used daily, never washed or dried, and rinsed out only when I defrost the freezer (which is seldom).  And I always reuse my ice.

There is a lesson here.

And I think Charles H. Baker Jr. would be proud.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Not a shaker as such, but I wanted to post a shout-out to the Soukichi Glassware Company in Tokyo. We looked all over Osaka and Tokyo for good-quality Yarai mixing glasses, and found the same mediocre brand at most of the kitchen supply stores we checked out. A quick Google led to this post, which led us to the store in question. They had a tremendous array of stunning glassware, from the very reasonably priced to the outrageous. We settled on a Yarai glass that didn't break the bank, plus a beautiful new strainer to go with it (which my husband insisted on!) and a nice jigger with internal markings at 10/20/30 ml. on one side and 15/30/45 ml. on the other. (The spoon is a $3 model that I grabbed a couple of at one of the above-mentioned kitchen supply stores.) The downside to all of this is that the set is intended to be one of my Christmas gifts this year, so I won't be able to use it for a few months yet.Barware for eG.jpg

Edited by mkayahara (log)
  • Like 3

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Looks very nice! I tend to keep to the habit of using a julep strainer with my stirring glass as I tend to get ice in the drink if I use a hawthorne or else double strain with  a mesh strainer and reserving the Hawthorne for use with my shaker (I finally broke down recently and got a new set). Not sure if the resident pros have an opinion one way or the other. Or if it matters at all for that matter!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 9 months later...

In pursuit of Japanese style shaking, I bought a Japanese-looking cobbler shaker from a local high-end homewares store. Turns out it's generic Chinese-made, even though the gold shaker for sale was a Yukiwa. Shaked up @RafaBlood Simple (nom nom nom), and the damn shaker wouldn't come apart. Just what I feared and why I've been avoiding Cobbler shakers for the last million years. 

Are the Usagi from CK or the Yukiwa cobblers better in this regard?

I hate cobbler shakers.

Stick to Korikos and save your kyber crystals.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

11 hours ago, Hassouni said:

In pursuit of Japanese style shaking, I bought a Japanese-looking cobbler shaker from a local high-end homewares store. Turns out it's generic Chinese-made, even though the gold shaker for sale was a Yukiwa. Shaked up @RafaBlood Simple (nom nom nom), and the damn shaker wouldn't come apart. Just what I feared and why I've been avoiding Cobbler shakers for the last million years. 

Are the Usagi from CK or the Yukiwa cobblers better in this regard?

One of my Yukiwa Baron shakers stuck horribly, as detailed in this thread.  The dealer told me they had had similar complaints from other customers and would be discontinuing the Baron for that reason.  They still offer other Yukiwa cobbler shakers, however.  Nonetheless now that I am aware of the potential sticking I have been careful and have not have a sticking problem since.  My Barons are in daily use.  Don't put the cap on crooked.  Twist the cap slightly as applying.  Don't listen to @Rafa

Since I always reuse my ice, as sanctioned by Dave Arnold, I like to think the flavor memory of my shakers is somewhat akin to @Wolfert clay pots.

• 8 months later...

I recently took possession of a new 1000 ml Yukiwa Baron Shaker.  Now my mai tai's can be that much bigger with considerable savings of ice!  Sadly the 1000 ml Baron is not silver.  While the silver plating of my smaller Baron's is beautiful to behold (professor Jerry would be so proud!) after years of daily use the silver has worn through in spots.

Yukiwa promotes this finely hand polished Baron as producing finer bubbles than machine finished shakers.  Thoughts?  I cannot complain so far.  (Except of course that it isn't silver.)

• 5 years later...

A real pro cocktail shaker set that is now most commonly being used at home bars and professional bartender is a Boston Cocktail Shaker.

Here are few considerations to choose the Boston Shaker Set:

1. Weight of the Tins (2 Tins to be 400 gram or more) & the volume of the tins - 28 / 18 Oz

2. Should be made of 304 Stainless Steel

3. Should come with some weighted accessories that helps in straining like - Hawthorne, Julep or Fine Mesh

Thanks

Mohit

Mohit Khatri

CEO

www.peaklifebarware.com