• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diet Coke Surpasses Pepsi

Chris Amirault

From the Wall St Journal:

U.S. sales of Diet Coke overtook those of Pepsi-Cola for the first time in 2010, making the diet soda the No. 2 carbonated soft drink in the country behind Coca-Cola, industry data are expected to confirm Thursday.

Occupying the top two rankings would mark a historic win for Coca-Cola Co. in its decades-old rivalry with PepsiCo Inc., which has seen its market share slip in recent years and is trying to retool its marketing.

Pepsi fans, are you embracing the Nehi/RC Cola of the 21st century?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I prefer Pepsi on the rare occasion that I drink it. I wonder if this takes into account fast food and restaurant purchases where there is not an option of one or the other?

Diet Coke is devil in a can. Coke Zero is so, so much better. I don't understand why they even make Diet anymore :hmmm:

Because people (myself included) are used to the taste of Diet Coke. Objectively, I can say that Coke Zero is a better product, but it tastes too sweet to me because I'm used to that bitter aftertaste of Diet Coke. (And if you think that's weird, there are people out there who still prefer Tab, because that's what they're used to.)

Diet pepsi. If you look at a can of diet coke and a can of coke zero, the ingredients and the nutrition values are identical. I've heard it said there is no difference between the two other than as a marketing tool to reach out to men who didn't want to be seen drinking anything "diet".

diet pepsi has 30 mg of sodium whereas diet coke and coke zero both have 40 mg of sodium. For some reason, diet coke and zero both have .1 gr of protein.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Diet pepsi. If you look at a can of diet coke and a can of coke zero, the ingredients and the nutrition values are identical. I've heard it said there is no difference between the two other than as a marketing tool to reach out to men who didn't want to be seen drinking anything "diet".

I drink all three regularly and they all taste different. Coke Zero seems to have a little extra punch in citrus oil than Diet Coke, while Diet Coke is more citrusy than Diet Pepsi.

• 1 month later...

There is definitely a taste difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Coke Zero tastes much better to me and I really don't have issues with the word "diet" being on the label. If I have to choose between Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi without the Zero option, I actually prefer Diet Pepsi but Coke Zero is better than either of those. I've cut down on all of that stuff, diet or not, to the point that I've only had maybe two or three in the past few months (outside of coke or ginger ale for mixed drinks but I definitely don't use diet for that) so it's really not an issue anymore. One thing I have noticed since cutting back is that diet drinks taste pretty good when you're used to them but, when you've been off them for a while and then have one, they're actually not all that good no matter which one you're drinking.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I used to be a diet pepsi drinker but when I had to cut back on caffeine, I switched to caffeine-free diet coke (or cfdc as I like to call it) for the bubbles since I prefer the diet pepsi taste. Coke is definitely more carbonated than Pepsi. Now I can't tolerate the bubbles so much so no more soda for me.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali