• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon Bits

David Ross

Since this seems to be the place to discuss cooked bacon - anyone have experience with shelf stability? Is it safe as long as the bacon is cooked crispy enough or are there other factors?  I know shelf-stable bacon, bacon bits, and Asian pork floss exist  - are they still shelf-stable once taken out of the package, or how would quality likely decline? I was talking with a friend about my savory cheese Easter egg idea and he suggested filling them with bacon and targeting the keto diet crowd.  I had been thinking chex mix, but bacon is a good idea too.  Or @andiesenji's bacon-fat nuts!

• Like 1

I think they are shelf stable once cooked to crisp. I'd probably vacuum seal for storage though. Costco has nice big bacon bit packages - they need recrisping before use with chocolate I find - but their shelf life is practically forever.

• Like 1

yeah, I think I'll try mixing pork floss with cocoa butter and enrobing some nuts with that.  I have a sample batch of baked cheddar, CB, and nfdm awaiting a test molding of chees-ter bunnies.  It's not bad!

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

yeah, I think I'll try mixing pork floss with cocoa butter and enrobing some nuts with that.  I have a sample batch of baked cheddar, CB, and nfdm awaiting a test molding of chees-ter bunnies.  It's not bad!

Chees-ster bunnies - I like that!

• Haha 1