• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Cheesesteak at home

BadRabbit

Living in the South, it is nearly impossible to get a good cheese steak. I have taken to making them at home but still I am unable to get to the quality that you get in Philly.

For those of you that make them at home, what are the secrets?

What cut of beef do you use? Seasonings? Do you roast or cook on the stove top\flat top?

The main reason I think that cheesesteaks are not good anywhere else is that finding appropriate rolls is nearly impossible. Does anyone have a good recipe that I can whip up at home?

Exactly right. The rolls are key. Easy up here; tough where you are. An approximation is a roll you'd use for a sub sandwich (or better yet a hoagie). French bread that's not too crusty to bite thru would work.

Good cheesesteak places use thin-sliced ribeye or sirloin. The mystery meat eg Steak-ums that you can buy frozen is horrid.

Cook it on the flat-top or a hot pan, turning it over a few times so its done but not incinerated. Add sauteed onions. Arrange the meat and onions in a roll-shaped pile. Layer cheese on top of the pile and put the opened roll on top of that. (Or if you are using Cheeze-Whiz, melt it and paint the roll with it.) Get a big spatula and turn the whole deal over. Salt and pepper, ketchup to taste.

Well worth the effort.

Edited by gfweb (log)

Exactly right. The rolls are key. Easy up here; tough where you are. An approximation is a roll you'd use for a sub sandwich (or better yet a hoagie). French bread that's not too crusty to bite thru would work.

I've tried every roll\hoagie bun\baguette imaginable down here and none work like I want them too. That's why I was hoping for a good home baked bread recipe.

Our supermarket bread is abysmal down here (hoagie buns and sandwich rolls are typically just elongated hamburger buns). There is a tremendous bakery in Birmingham but they don't have anything appropriate for this purpose.

Good cheesesteak places use thin-sliced ribeye or sirloin. The mystery meat eg Steak-ums that you can buy frozen is horrid.

Cook it on the flat-top or a hot pan, turning it over a few times so its done but not incinerated. Add sauteed onions. Arrange the meat and onions in a roll-shaped pile. Layer cheese on top of the pile and put the opened roll on top of that. (Or if you are using Cheeze-Whiz, melt it and paint the roll with it.) Get a big spatula and turn the whole deal over. Salt and pepper, ketchup to taste.

Well worth the effort.

Ketchup? perish the thought.

Well worth the effort.

Ketchup? perish the thought.

The mixture of Whiz and Ketchup with a drop of hotsauce is magical.

That's why I was hoping for a good home baked bread recipe.

Here is a very good, and very easy baguette recipe that I have used for hoagies.

Just scale to the size you want.

:smile:

Thanks. I'll try that one. At 75% hydration, I bet it's no fun to work with though.

I designed a flat top insert for my BBQ grill.. its a must for Philys..

I enjoy Prime rib meat good cooked onions and bread that is soften in Jus.. cheese I use provalone and white american..

I like the flat top the best: see here

5027480763_d8e56791f5.jpg

Its good to have Morels

Believe it or not I have had the best results with Cobblestone Mill Sub Rolls (not their Philly Hoagie Rolls funny enough). I've always had consistency issues with homemade bread (humidity, overworking dough, underworking dough, degassing dough, crappy home oven, etc..).

Now if I could only find a respectable commercial roll for Banh Mi (I'm also in the south mind you) I'd be a very happy man.

Eat Well,

-jbl

The Postmodern Soapbox - NominalTopic.blogspot.com

Twitter: jbzepol