• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia cooking creme

heidih

I actually used this the other night and liked the results very much. Here is the post. It melts beautifully and adds a nice richness without being super tangy like cream cheese. I've only used the plain so far, but a co-worker used the Southwestern flavor to make enchiladas and liked it. I'm thinking that thinned with a little stock, it could replace the dreaded "Cream of..." soups in some of my old favorite casseroles that I don't make anymore.

So basically it's creme fraiche?

Hi,

Read all of the ingredients and you will realize that it definitely is not Creme Fraiche!

Ingredients: Pasteurized Nonfat milk and milk fat, water, whey protein concentrate, cheese culture, salt, tapioca starch, maltodextrin, lactic acid, carob bean gum, guar gum, sorbic acid (preservative), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate

Doesn't that sound delicious?

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

Hi,

Read all of the ingredients and you will realize that it definitely is not Creme Fraiche!

Ingredients: Pasteurized Nonfat milk and milk fat, water, whey protein concentrate, cheese culture, salt, tapioca starch, maltodextrin, lactic acid, carob bean gum, guar gum, sorbic acid (preservative), natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate

Tim

Sounds like it is directly out of the modernist book

Hi,

Tim

I'm guessing that's pretty much the ingredient list for regular cream cheese too.

I had a chance to have some cheese enchiladas made with the southwestern style and I thought they were pretty good. It seemed a little pricey - $3.79 in my supermarket for a modest sized container- to be a main ingredient, but I could see it working as an addition to sauces.

Hi,

Tim

I'm guessing that's pretty much the ingredient list for regular cream cheese too.

Hi,

The appropriate comparison is to creme fraiche. In my household, creme fraiche ingredients include pasteurized manufacturer' cream (cream and milk) and buttermilk (again, no additives).

Tim

Hi,

Tim

Hi,

The appropriate comparison is to creme fraiche. In my household, creme fraiche ingredients include pasteurized manufacturer' cream (cream and milk) and buttermilk (again, no additives).

Tim

The ingredient comparison to creme fraiche would be appropriate if the product texturewise or flavorwise was anything like creme fraiche. It isn't, at least in the usage I tried. It's more like a soft flavored cream cheese.

Hi,

Tim

Hi,

Tim

The ingredient comparison to creme fraiche would be appropriate if the product texturewise or flavorwise was anything like creme fraiche. It isn't, at least in the usage I tried. It's more like a soft flavored cream cheese.

The comparison to creme fraiche was appropriate only because it was suggested.

Hi,

Philadelphia Cream Cheese contains:

• Pasteurized Nonfat Milk and Milk Fat
    Cheese Culture
    Whey Protein Concentrate
    Salt
    Guar Gum
    Carob Bean Gum

Tim

Sounds a lot like jared Crema Salvadorean - lists heavy cream, cream cheese (and all its ingredients), sour cream (and all its ingredients), salt and annatto. It is sold as shelf stable - I'd guess Philly "fresh" requires refrigeration?

• 2 months later...

I've availed myself of one of the "free product" coupons floating out there to try this stuff: for the record, it's just cream cheese with some added stabilizers. It has the taste and texture of normal Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, and can be spread on bagels, etc. Until you get it over high heat in a situation where you might experience some graininess with a regular cream cheese, it's nothing unusual. I've added it to mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs to good effect, but the same can be said for normal cream cheese. I also tried to push its limits and used it the way one might use cream, to finish a pasta sauce. I deliberately brought the sauce to a boil before adding it to the pasta, and it held together as promised. They aren't really breaking any new ground here, I don't think, and for the most part it's just a marketing gimmick. But I guess if you find yourself wanting to boil stuff with a lot of cream cheese in it, maybe it's useful.

ETA: I should amend the above to note that, in a side-by-side comparison, the Cooking Creme is a bit thinner than cream cheese. Not quite as thin as mayonnaise, but closer to that texture than to that of a brick of normal cream cheese. I suppose this probably made it stir into the cooked stuff better, but that didn't really occur to me as I used it.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

My wife and I tried some of the garlic-type the other night with some chicken and pasta. It did taste good but it was so rich and heavy that after a small helping we were through. I think next time I'll use less.

Used with:

3/4 lb of chicken

1/3 lb of spaghetti

1/2 red pepper