• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks Where Substitutes Are Better Than "Originals"

Chris Amirault

I will also echo that Ransom Old Tom is phenomenal is so many classics cocktails: Sazerac, Manhattan, or in place of Genever in an Improved Holland Gin Cocktail.

I love Matusalem or other stellar rum in a Red Hook. Never came up with any better name than just 'Rum Hook.'

Also Jamaica rum in a Bijou freaking rocks. I did coin a better name for that one: the Aratama (uncut gem) Cocktail. Appleton VX works nicely, but Smith & Cross is balls-kickingly delicious!

(Edited for Megabus fatigue...)

Edited by Tsiologist (log)

-Tyler

Drink Instigator

• 3 months later...

A local bar does the vieux carre with applejack for the whisky, Calvados for the brandy and dandelion and burdock bitters for the peychaud's. It is beyond delicious and it has substituted the original for my favorite cocktail.

I also like my sazeracs with bourbon instead of rye.