• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Menu 2011

though oddly the other chefs seemed quite taken with it, and giving him a 9 or 10 would have maybe made making the friday final a formality, which wouldn't have made good telly now would it?!

the cod suspense and references to the theme are the most tiring aspects of the show unfortunately, but could be worse, could be x factormasterchef.

you don't win friends with salad

caught up over the weekend, andrew wins, my bias aside :wink: his menu looked the most coherent and to the brief though had forgotten just how irritating oliver peyton's judging is.

a very good point made my mrs m, big fuss about anonymous judging yet there's a giant picture of andrew behind the judges sat behind desert on a tea stand, as he used! sure they could have put two and two together!

You should watch him on Cookery school then.....just plain irritating and downright rude , speaking to adults like they`re kids...thumbs down from me....He`s gone right down in my book.

And same to the new series of GBM....Street party ???? Pah....Watched the first week and that`s my lot.

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

• 2 weeks later...

Marcus Wareing was the "examiner" for the North-West round this week. He has a mild manner but had some pointed and well-observed comments. He seemed, though, to slag off the complex desserts on offer but then I remembered that he won his place in an earlier round of the competition with a (simple) custard tart with nutmeg.

Petrus

• 2 weeks later...

OK - Watched it all (subject to some fast forwarding on recording) and have concluded:-

It's not Jenny Bond that was the duff element of previous series, it is the "script".

It's not Jenny Bond that was the duff element of previous series, it is the "script".

You are so right. My god, isn't it just awful??

This program is SUCH a missed opportunity to demonstrate some high-end cooking techniques, and I can't believe anyone thinks the false displays of competitiveness and aggression add anything to proceedings.

And don't get me started on this year's theme which makes absolutely no sense at all.

Leaving aside the north west (where I watched every evening), I'm continuing with last year's idea of just watching the judging episode. The irritation caused by the fake tension far outweighs missing out on one chef's dishes.

"Peoples banquest", my arse!

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley

For once I agree with all the above comments. It just does not do it for me this year. In previous years I avidly watched all episodes, but not this year, it just does not get the juices flowing. We have missed most of what has been televised, just catching snippets here and there.

Fingers crossed some improvement ensues.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

The fake set ups wash over me now and can fast forward through the more asinine parts, some good dishes in this weeks episode especially from paul ainsworth and andre garrett, i know i like pauls food, so expect i shall have to give windows a whirl, the more he says 'it's my classical background' the more i fancy a visit!

Leaving aside the north west (where I watched every evening), I'm continuing with last year's idea of just watching the judging episode. The irritation caused by the fake tension far outweighs missing out on one chef's dishes.

The fake set ups wash over me now and can fast forward through the more asinine parts, some good dishes in this weeks episode especially from paul ainsworth and andre garrett0

I've missed most of the series until this week but have been impressed with Paul's efforts to get into the theme. However, I don't get the overall idea (why didn't they go for a royal wedding street party?) and the confrontational tone of the commentary and 'dark looks' across the kitchen annoy me more than the greengrocer on Masterchef counting down the minutes!

Caught up with this weeks last night, i thought it was probably the best week so far with both andre and paul showing off some impressive cooking i hope their reservation books are showing a commensurate increase!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to this weeks offering, with three Michelin men in the kitchen, and only one, Phil Thompson whose food that I have not eaten before. Can't say its not for the want of trying. It looks a splendid place, Auberge du Lac.

The other two are Tom's, Kerridge and Aikins

Btw Jason Atherton is judging this week.

Hope it lives up to the promise.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Oh some of those comments made me smile , what a lot of bitches we all are.

The series is well underway now ,still believe its a terrible theme this year , just not interesting at all.Seems like we are all recording it and fast forwarding through to any interesting pieces.Ive just been watching fridays programme to laugh at the pompous judges and to learn new words from Matthew fort that ive never heard before in all of my 48 years.

I want to see top level chefs cooking at their best and i want to see what theyre capable of putting on a plate , if it looks good then ill be heading to their restaurants.

Tom Aikens this week ,his cooking looking wonderful but is he a shy guy or had a personality bypass op ?

Oh and as for the fake stuff...the `set up` stares over the worktops and the `look straight forward` walks down the corridor etc etc....its soooooo tacky.

The show definitely needs a facelift :wink:

Just caught up todays mains. I think this week has been by far the most entertaining. In terms of the skill, creativity and expression of individuality on show.

The minimum amount of fast forwarding needed all series :smile:

Argh!!!!! I just can't take it any more, the pseudo-competetive crap is doing my head in. The cliches are just getting ridiculous. In fact I even came up with a drinking game while watching it today: down a shot every time we hear about a chef being "at the top of their game", "really feeling the pressure now" or (my favourite) "knowing that one slip now and the competition is wide open". I don't even remember the end of the episode and now my head hurts... :wacko:

SHOW ME SOME COOKING!!

Everything about this series...and the show in general annoys me...yet i still torture myself and have it all on record.

Lots of good points noted on this thread though....Would love to actually see some cooking and technique , we could all learn a lot from these guys....n girls.