• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Menu 2011

I can't help but get excited about the forthcoming GBM. Spring is in the air, some filming has already taken place. Anyone got any info?

Will the judging and judges remain the same? I actually like the panel, with Matthew Fort and Oliver Peyton jousting, whist Prue Leith keeps the peace.

Will they change the formula a bit?

I know for a fact former bad boy chef Tom Aikins is up against Hand and Flowers big man Tom Kerridge.

Rumours also about Galvin at Windows chef Andre Garrett featuring.

Anyone else have anymore info?

I think it will be broadcast next month. So not long to wait.

Bring it on.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

North West

Lisa Allen - Northcote, Lancashire

Jason Birkbeck - The Samling Hotel, Windermere

Johnnie Mountain - Mosaica, London

South East

Tom Kerridge - Hand & Flowers, Marlow

Tom Aikens - Restaurant Tom Aikens, London

Phil Thompson - Auberge du Lac, Hertfordshire

North East

Tim Bilton - The Butcher's Arms, Hepworth

Andrew Pern - The Star Inn, Harome

Stephanie Moon - consultant chef

Ireland

Chris Bell - The Longridge Restaurant, Preston

Contestant No2: TBC

Contestant No3: TBC

South West

Andre Garrett - Galvin at Windows, London

Paul Ainsworth - Number 6 Restaurant, Padstow

John Hooker - Browns Hotel, Tavistock

Judge: Michael Caines, Gidleigh Park, Devon

Scotland

Tony Singh, Oloroso, Edinburgh

Michael Smith, The Three Chimneys, Isle of Skye

Philip Carnegie, Inverlochy Castle, Fort William

Midlands

Richard Bainbridge - Morston Hall, Norfolk

Aktar Islam, Lasan, Birmingham

Sue Ellis, Belle House, Pershore, Worcestershire

Judge: Glynn Purnell, Purnell's, Birmingham

Wales

Hywell Jones - Lucknam Park, Nr Bath

Gareth Jones - Bodesgallen Hall, North Wales

Aled Williams, Plas Bodegroes, Gwynedd

Judge: Angela Harnett, Murano, London

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

Thanks Alan.

Very interesting list, lots of new and to some, unfamiliar, names.

Interesting to see how Aktar Islam (Lasan) fares with his Indian cooking. Also Sue Ellis (in the same group) from Belle House in Pershore. Somewhere that I have been meaning to visit for years. Its just moved a lot higher up the list now.

Another interesting inclusion (for me) is Phil Thompson from Michelin starred Auberge du Lac. Yet another place I have been meaning to try for some while.

Nice to see Lisa Allen again.

@d_goodfellow1

I did see a report that this year's theme was something like "community", but the real question is what this year's "rules" are and how that affects the various chefs.

Last year I got the impression that some of the chefs, particularly those in the midlands, were very much in a no-win situation. They were condemned either for NOT using local produce, or for being unimaginative because they were keeping only to local produce...

Just by the by, the above list has it as "Ireland". Is that accurate and it's now the island of Ireland and not just Norn Iron?

This side of a name change for the programme, I doubt it!

Me too. Although hot on the heels of the producer of Midsomer Murders living many years in the past, it crossed my mind....... :wacko:

John Hartley

perny should have north east sown up surely!

Agreed, the GMB producers have decided not to go with the two chefs that may have made things alittle more interesting for your mate Perny, James Mckenzie & yours truely!! Im not too sure why they have gone for a consultant chef, other than for the obvious. Ah well, wasn't meant to be.

PS It was said last year that when the screen tests were carried out, that the programme would be 'shooting' two series back to back. Not sure if that is still the case but will post if I hear anything.

Really looking forward to this again,best cooking show on the telly,i actually felt sorry for adien byrne when he got beat by lisa allen last year,and nigel haworth the year before.I really like him as a chef.

Ill be rooting for lisa again this year as well as tom aikens.

I'm led to believe that she left Clocktower yonks ago and is now employed on the college tutor front. Nothing against the lass at all, just seems an odd choice to me. Anyway I've got used to being overlooked now!! haha! :biggrin: If Koffman can do it, then so could Germain, that would be a good one. Might have to get his walking frame out mind! I would imagine he must miss it all.

I had no idea the Belle House was considered to be of this standard.

Good Food Guide 3 - so perhaps not up there with some of them but maybe that makes the programme interesting.

Funnily enough, it's one of the places I had filed away for a possible lunch off the M5 next time I'm that way.

John Hartley

Me too. Although hot on the heels of the producer of Midsomer Murders living many years in the past, it crossed my mind....... :wacko:

Saying that Richard Corrigan was not from Northern Ireland. Good to Chris Bell ex White Bull representing "Ireland" interesting to see competition.

Anyway I've got used to being overlooked now!! haha! :biggrin: If Koffman can do it, then so could Germain, that would be a good one. Might have to get his walking frame out mind! I would imagine he must miss it all.

next year, next year!

not seen germain or annie for ages, when he retired he was planning a book to keep in the pubic eye but looks like retirement suits. can't blame him!

you don't win friends with salad

• 2 weeks later...

First of forty (40) episodes starts tomorrow, with North East chefs up first.

Andrew Pern, Stephanie Moon, and Tim Biltong will be cooking starters which include,

Potted Venison with watercress and fennel salad, and Sticky Pigeon breast with foresters relish and beer crisps.

@d_goodfellow1

Watched the first episode last night after work. Not looking like the one horse race I thought it might. Not too sure what Pernie is doing, seems to have lost his way a bit. So glad I didn't get picked for this series,knowing now what the chef brief is. Couldn't think of anything I would rather not do. Half expected it to be geared towards Will & Kates wedding, now that would of been a series! :biggrin:

Visually his suckling pig platter is 10/10, just incredible wasn't it? But... if your suckling pig skin is flabby then you're knocking off 3 points straight away, slightly tough meat - that's another point off. So I think Howarth was spot on there, and we can only go by what he tastes. Though I hope he and that dish makes it through. If he gets the crackling right then the judges will have to call time on the main courses, that one is the winner!

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)