• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small-scale machinery for confectionery?

Chmekas

Hello Dears,

it's been a while since I'm a constant reader of eGullet and it has always been an amazing source of important info and fun of course!

I start a small chocolate production company, we'll do it from the cacao bean. We are going to make true ice cream in summer. I recently moved to the farm, where we source our own dairy and grow herbs.

I would like to do some confectionery stuff as well, like caramels, meringues, brittle, toffee, candies and similar. As we are going that many products and then there is a problem of controlling every production stage, I started to research for a small scale lab size machinery for confectionery to make my life little easier.

I came up with this guy: Firemixer

Does anybody have experience with the machine? Is it any good or just a waste of money?

What would you do if you where in my shoes? Are these types of machines make the life easier or the opposite? Are there any good small scale machines that you have used or saw being used?

bw,

Domantas

Welcome to eG Chmekas - glad you have decided to post.

I've seen the savage cookers at the PMCA - they look like a very fine unit. But I haven't had any personal experience with them.

Hopefully someone who has used one can chime in.

I know a business that bought one for making small batches of toffee and caramels. They were not happy with the results and now use it to melt chocolate. They have the large firemixers that they are very happy with.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I'm a small scale chocolate bon-bon maker, and I have very little "equipment" other than the usual. I do make Caramels, Italian nougat, etc. on a weekly, sometimes bi-weekly basis, albeit on a small volume basis. Caramels do require a lot of time and for the last twenty minutes or so, almost constant attention. So if you do want to make this on a larger basis, you will probably want to invest in some kind of a fire mixer.

Thank you for the answers!

I wonder what was the issue with the smaller firemixer unit.?

It just happen that I am willing to spend up to $ 10k for a tool that could be useful in the production line and be multifunctional.

What would be your pick, friends?

D.

Edited by Chmekas (log)

I don't know if this machine is sold in the USA, but in my opinion it's the best of this kind:

http://www.roboqbo.com/

It is really multifunctional: it can be used as high speed cutter; you can cook under vacuum; you can fast chill. So you can cook stuff under vacuum and chill it still under vacuum, in this way you lower the bacteria formation.

I'm pretty sure it exceeds your budget of 10k, but the calculations are up to you since you know your estimations about the quantities you will produce.

Teo

Teo