• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coca-Cola Ham

David Ross

I'm starting to think about this year's Easter Ham. For a few years I've been toying with the idea of braising the ham in Coke. (Pepsi not allowed). I've seen a number of recipes that call for either braising the ham in Coke, or glazing the ham with a paste made with Coke and brown Sugar.

Have you ever cooked a ham with Coke? Is it best to use a basic smoked, bone-in ham or will a real Kentucky "country ham" work?

The last ham I bought was a spiral cut from Costco. Included with the ham was a packet for a glaze...I mixed the packet with 'Mexican' Coke (real sugar) also bought at Costco. I highly recommend you try adding Coke to your next ham.

From a technical standpoint, it may not alter or change how the ham is glazed as you warm it to serve. Simply, I just like the flavor it adds.

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Ginger Ale works well too. Especially good with a fresh ham.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

We actually had a thread before with lots of good information about this very thing:

Cooking with Coca Cola

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We actually had a thread before with lots of good information about this very thing:

Cooking with Coca Cola

Interesting thread there Jaymes! :) I didn't know that you can do that with Ham.

BTW, I am new here and looking for lots of recipes and knowledge that I can get from experts here. Looking forward for more interesting recipes.

Edited by threestars (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ended up using a recipe on Martha Stewart's website for a ham with a Coca-Cola glaze. Coke is really not the standout ingredient in the glaze, only a supplement to brown sugar, canned pineapple juice and concord grape wine.

The recipe did make a delicious glaze, but not as syrupy and thick as I had hoped. The real star was the Kurobata ham I bought at the market. It came from Snake River Farms of Boise who contracts for the Kurobata Pork from small, family farms in the Midwest. It was delicious and moist with a hint of smoke. Out side of the country hams from Kentucky--which are a whole different taste--this was the best ham I've ever had. Next time I'll try a different Coca-Cola glaze.