• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When The Grocery Mischarges You

weinoo

Given that the thread title is "mischarges" rather than "overcharges", has anyone ever been charged too little by the scanner? Did you speak up?

Of course. And I have spoken up, provided it was at a place that had not previously screwed me. Also, whenever the cashier is having a hard time figuring out whether I've got kale, collards, chard, escarole or some other green, I try to educate; obviously it would be simple to tell them the cheapest of all the above, but that's not how I roll.

Same thing if someone gives me more change than they should; it is ALWAYS returned.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Sometimes the cashiers at Wegman's charge me for parsley instead of cilantro. (Can't you smell it?) I will correct them if I'm paying attention. Their produce selection is huge, so I don't mind having to clarify what I'm buying from time to time (especially since I'm probably buying something on the unusual side.)

Edited by Corinna (log)

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

I don't generally pay enough attention at the checkout, so I can't comment on whether it happens often, but if you encounter a scanner error at Wegmans, it appears to be a system-wide policy to correct the error, and give the customer a buck. From their website FAQ:

We have confidence in the accuracy of our scanner pricing system. If, in spite of our efforts, we make a mistake and you're overcharged, here's what we'll do:

1. Refund you the difference so you're charged the lower amount.

2. Give you ONE DOLLAR as a "Thank You" for calling this to our attention.

Again, I haven't challenged a scanned price myself, so I can't say how common mistakes are, or how smooth the rectification process is.

But I can say that I left an entire bag of groceries behind one time, it was part of a huge order for a party, and somehow one of the many bags didn't make it into my cart, and must have been left at the end of the checkout line. I went back the next day, explained the situation, pointed out the items on my receipt that I didn't get, and they quickly and politely offered to replace the items or refund the cost. It was my error, I left the bag behind, but they chose to just fix it. That level of customer service is one of several reasons that I'm happy that they're invading my current neighborhood.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Given that the thread title is "mischarges" rather than "overcharges", has anyone ever been charged too little by the scanner? Did you speak up?

Never had it happen to me at grocery stores, but at cafes and coffee shops I've had it happen to me a lot when a server puts the wrong item through or forgets to add a small compononent (like an extra serving of cheese or a flavour shot). I always point it out and they always say "Wow, most people would just keep quiet!" I can't help myself, I feel guilty.

<snip>

Same thing if someone gives me more change than they should; it is ALWAYS returned.

I used to try very hard to return the excess change that I am occasionally given. I finally decided a year or two ago that I would try one time to return the excess change, but if the cashier persisted in saying that the change given to me was correct, it wasn't worth my time to try to teach arithmetic at the check out lane.

Funny, I usually find that the stores make a mistake in my favor. I always correct them because it is a matter of just plain honesty and I am surprised at how often the check-out person comments that it would have been cheaper for me to simply let the mistake pass. I respond that had the mistake been NOT in my favor I would also have spoke up.

I have rarely been overcharged and occasionally undercharged. Usually it is the checker not knowing the code for the produce and putting in the less expensive alternative (1.99 for serranos v. 7.99 for Holland reds for example). As noted above I usually point out the undercharge unless they get defensive and huffy- then I just take it as a gift. I have never had an issue with being questioned on an overcharge. Most of the markets are more interested in moving the line along and keeping customers. This became even more apparent after a clerk's union strike a number of years ago when customers flocked away to non union markets. I have seen someone protest about the cost of a large ticket item and was impressed that the checker put the order on hold on the computer, asked the customer to step to the side, sent a runner to check on pricing, and swiftly took the next order. Somebody in the training department is on their toes.

If you don't read the receipt when you get it, youze a phool. There are frequent errors. Each store I go to deals with it differently. In one you have to go to Customer Service, tell them where the price differential is and then they go run around and check it. Sometimes you get the full price back and sometimes you don't. Haven't figured that out yet.

Often signage is a problem with prices set out to confuse you as much as possible...like the last time I thought I was getting a deal and had to purchase 2 or more... I wouldn't put too much blame on the poor cashiers who have to stand all the time and are not allowed to have a stool. I know I could not remember the codes and prices for every item in a store, could you??

You have to be a smart shopper and know your rights and when you pick up an item, note the price. I know sometimes we are too tired and the atmosphere in supermarkets is dangerously scary - bright lights, tons of choices, mislabeled signage...and on an on...it's a wonder we get out alive!

When over or undercharged, I tell them about it. Sometimes it is a mistake of the computer and others it is the cashier's. There are even times when I am not charged for an item at all. I remember one case when I stayed at a small hotel and they forgot to put a meal on my bill. In all these cases I will tell them - I don't want to mischarge them just as I don't want them to mischarge me.