• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great Freezer Cleanout: 2011

Chris Amirault

Need to do something with the turkey that's languishing and taking up all the space in my upright. And the 3 litres of high brix ice wine juice that's in there. I should probably either thaw and package in smaller, more manageable containers, or perhaps boil down to concentrate and make a syrup.

That sounds like ice wine vinegar waiting to happen...

But I'd have to ferment it first right? So that would be ice wine!!!!

After debating for some days as to what I might do with a couple of beef (lamb? who could tell... the inside of the bag was covered in frost) bones, I just pulled them out of the oven to make some stock.

They're foam paint rollers.

Gotta love it. Had a couple in the back of my fridge for a while so I know where you are coming from. :rolleyes:

Edited to try to fix quote function

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I made some mexican style chicken from frozen thighs this week, now I'm getting to the more odd stuff, like a beef heart, a beef liver, duck tongues, 4 partridges and 6 golden quail. Some Salmon is in there too and some ground beef and pork. One or two chicken as well. I hoping to get to some of the birds tomorrow or on Sunday. I need to make room as I have a half lamb coming in mid May...

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I made some mexican style chicken from frozen thighs this week, now I'm getting to the more odd stuff, like a beef heart, a beef liver, duck tongues, 4 partridges and 6 golden quail. Some Salmon is in there too and some ground beef and pork. One or two chicken as well. I hoping to get to some of the birds tomorrow or on Sunday. I need to make room as I have a half lamb coming in mid May...

Almost a song: The Twelve Days of April...

I have to say that for the first time in my life, my freezers contain no surprises at all. They are organized at last. Amazing!!!! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

... many condiments and booze were buried just waiting to be rediscovered. Found three partial bottles of lemoncello in the back of downstairs freezer, not to mention how many bottles of alcoholic lemonade, ice tea, and various beer brands were leftover from parties. For me, it is now time for a Great Booze Cleanout 2011!

Party at llc45's house!

I'll bring my stash of "we couldnt fit it into the moving van" bottles - 3 big boxes of them, gifted by relocating friends.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

{SNIPPY}

I'll bring my stash of "we couldnt fit it into the moving van" bottles - 3 big boxes of them, gifted by relocating friends.

I'm sorry. I don't quite, errrrm, understand.... :blink:

Please explain the concept of "couldn't fit bottles (of alcohol) into the moving van"??? Those go in the trunk, baby, well cushioned, so they don't leak or break ! :raz::raz:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 4 weeks later...

Little help? I've got three 8 x 8 sheets of store-bought puff pastry in my freezer, and no upcoming parties that require hors d'oeuvres. Any suggestions, aside from pot pie?

There was a recipe from Dori's book with mustard and puff pastry as I recall - kind of a mustard cheese straw without the cheese. Wouldn't have to be an hors d'oeuvers - could be just a snack!

Little help? I've got three 8 x 8 sheets of store-bought puff pastry in my freezer, and no upcoming parties that require hors d'oeuvres. Any suggestions, aside from pot pie?

Guild the lily a bit and wrap it around some hot dogs or sausages. A little mustard inside is a nice addition.

I was cleaning out the freezer a couple of weeks back and found some leftover turkey in a vac bag.... from Thanksgiving 2009! :blink:

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Guild the lily a bit and wrap it around some hot dogs or sausages. A little mustard inside is a nice addition.

Ooh, sausage rolls! That's a great idea! I'm sure there's a thread on them somewhere around here...

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Ooh, sausage rolls! That's a great idea! I'm sure there's a thread on them somewhere around here...

I was reading my new cookbook, River Cottage Everyday, and found a mixed mushroom tart that should fit the bill. The puff pastry (they use blitz puff pastry) is rolled out into a disc and pricked to avoid too much rise. About half a pound of mushrooms and garlic are sauteed (I might add onions or shallots) and then mixed with herbs, zest, and bread crumbs. This goes on top of the puff pastry and topped with shredded goat cheese and baked until perfect.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I've got a weird assortment of things in my freezer than need to be used up before the summer onslaught -

- Bags and bags of diced green bell peppers. I'm just going to start putting them into everything feasible - pasta sauce, chili, perloo - any other suggestions?

- Bags and bags of assorted berries - mostly blueberries and raspberries I think. Maybe jam that can be canned and stored in the pantry?

- Half a dozen pre-cooked crawfish. What am I going to do with half a dozen pre-cooked crawfish?

- Half a dozen bags of leftover (maybe 1-1.5 cups each) assorted dumpling fillings. I'll just have a dumpling dinner some Saturday night and clear those out.

There's probably more stuff lurking in the back too - I vaguely recall ducks breasts and phyllo dough...

Edited by kitchensqueen (log)

Crawfish pie?

My SO just got laid off on Friday so perfect time for a freezer cleanout! Plus, I now have so much in my side by side freezer that I literally can't fit another thing in there. But the money saving factor will be a good impetus for using up what is in there.

- Half a dozen pre-cooked crawfish. What am I going to do with half a dozen pre-cooked crawfish?

SIX crawfish? Somebody bothered to freeze SIX lousy crawfish? This is the funniest thing I've heard all day. Peel, saute in butter & onions, and add a few eggs to make yourself the tiniest crawfish omelet ever eaten. Went with my brother to check his crawfish traps on Saturday--we didn't bother opening the traps b/c each one only contained six or eight crawfish.

tonight out of the freezer 2 chicken breasts baked in BBQ sauce, frozen waffle fries, and some frozen broccoli in butter sauce.

Certainly not the duck fat, chicken broth, crawfish dilemmas. My freezer is much more pedestrian. Partly for convenience and partly due to a SO that has the eating habits of an 8 year old.

:smile:

Edited to add: after some haranguing the SO has conceded to try whatever veggies I cook except brussel sprouts. Tonight got him to eat 2 pieces of broccoli. Small step for mankind!!!

Edited by toolprincess (log)

What a great thread. I force myself to " cook from my inventory" for at least two months a year. It works well for me and forces me to keep turning things over.I have also purchased some magnetic black board type of sheets for the freezer doors that I use to keep track of my inventory. Works for me but I know that I am a bit compulsive.