• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heading to Saskatoon end of April

Kerry Beal

I've been waiting with bated breath to see where the College of Family Physicians is sending me this year for the oral exams. I had my heart set on Montreal - but alas that isn't to be. I'm heading to Saskatoon!

Apparently it takes 2 days, 11 hours and 26 minutes to get there by train, so I guess I'll be flying. It's not really a great time of year for a lot of fresh foods I suspect - but I need a little information on where I should eat.

I know I've driven though Saskatoon before - but don't recall ever having a meal there.

So any and all suggestions welcome - I'll have 3 nights to feed myself (and whoever I can drag along). In previous years we've discovered some great eating places during the exams - Toronto I found Mengrai thai, Montreal of course I hit Joe Beef, the Hunting and Fishing Club and Au Pied.

I would start with Urbanspoon Saskatoon and go from there. I think there's a lot of good Ukrainian food to be had, if you like that sort of thing.

When I was a young girl, about 10, we visited my sister there and went to dinner at the Bessborough hotel...I think it was a Hy's Restaurant at that time. I can still taste that steak :smile:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Hi Kerry I would like to say welcome to Saskatoon. Do you know where you are staying ? If you are at one of the downtown hotels you can go to Carvers in the Sheraton, Garden Court Cafe in the Bess, Aroma in the Radisson. You will also have near the hotels, Tusq, The Spadina Freehouse, and Truffles (I would recommend these guys) On the other side of the bridge on Broadway Ave you will find Calories, Sushiro sushi, Yard + Flagon Pub, and Bliss fine foods. Then you will also find my place, Weczeria food + wine, you can find us on Open Table. The only problem I have is where we will be when you get here. We are moving the restaurant to a new location onto Broadway Ave and we hope to be in place by the end of April. The weather is not helping us right now. Anyways, our current location is or will be open right up until we move. So I hope that helps you out, if you need any other help you can email at weczeriafw@gmail.com. Dan

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Hi Kerry I would like to say welcome to Saskatoon. Do you know where you are staying ? If you are at one of the downtown hotels you can go to Carvers in the Sheraton, Garden Court Cafe in the Bess, Aroma in the Radisson. You will also have near the hotels, Tusq, The Spadina Freehouse, and Truffles (I would recommend these guys) On the other side of the bridge on Broadway Ave you will find Calories, Sushiro sushi, Yard + Flagon Pub, and Bliss fine foods. Then you will also find my place, Weczeria food + wine, you can find us on Open Table. The only problem I have is where we will be when you get here. We are moving the restaurant to a new location onto Broadway Ave and we hope to be in place by the end of April. The weather is not helping us right now. Anyways, our current location is or will be open right up until we move. So I hope that helps you out, if you need any other help you can email at weczeriafw@gmail.com. Dan

Dan thanks for all this info. Had a look at your menu and I'll definitely be making the trip to Weczeria where ever it is located when I get there!

Not sure where I'll be staying - I'm assuming it will be near whatever clinic they use to train medical residents at the University - but as yet I have no idea where that will be. They lied when they said they'd have all the travel info to me by the end of the day on the 15th!

Looks like I'll have 3 nights to eat so I'll have to plan. Just trying to decide if I want to hit your place by myself or after I've recruited a couple of the other examiners to join me. I think a place such as yours would be best enjoyed with other folk. Mostly so I don't have to drink too much wine by myself!

Everything in Saskatoon is 10 minutes apart from each other. RUH and the University are located in our area and the downtown hotels are a 10 minute walk from us. Even if you staying at the Parktown, which is the closest hotel to the university, your'll still not that far away. The weather should also be better by the time you get here. Good luck with your exams.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Everything in Saskatoon is 10 minutes apart from each other. RUH and the University are located in our area and the downtown hotels are a 10 minute walk from us. Even if you staying at the Parktown, which is the closest hotel to the university, your'll still not that far away. The weather should also be better by the time you get here. Good luck with your exams.

Excellent - that should make life simpler.

No luck needed - I'm one of the examiners!

The place is called the Taj Mahal it is on 157 2nd Ave N. She says you have to ask them to add a little heat though. Apparently the chai tea is pretty good.

Clark

Thanks for that Clark - I do love good Indian - should work for one night!

• 1 month later...

Dan - have you moved location yet? I'm heading out tomorrow and hope to hit your restaurant this weekend.