• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New products from Rancho Gordo (banana vinegar and more)

Jaymes

Has anyone else tried the Banana Vinegar and piloncillo thing? If so, what did you think?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Folks, that sugar is one of the most amazing things I've ever had. Just started a topic on it in Spirits & Cocktails to declare it an essential ingredient for anyone who takes cocktails seriously.

At some point I'll mix it with that tasty banana vinegar, but for now it's seeing tequila and rum only.

Oh my goodness me. Buy it.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I just ordered some from Amazon. I already have the banana vinegar. I bought caramel vanilla ice cream to use it with. I figure it will be a little like bananas foster.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Ceviche is my favorite. But I also make a marinade with olive oil, the banana vinegar, garlic and the oregano indio. It's great over a pork tenderloin. I've also used it on chicken thighs and then cooked them pressed in a clay mattone from Italy.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

That vinegar is fascinating stuff: besides the ice cream topping thing, what else can I do with it?

I made a sauce from it for some profiteroles last week. A sort of banana vinaigrette. I mixed the vinegar and piloncillo together then whisked in some softened butter, a little vanilla and a bit of salt. Really tasty.

Rancho G,

You mentioned the terrible lack of diversity in the bananas imported for our delight. Did you know about the banana ranch (?) in Santa Barbara? Well, Ventura - the Seaside Banana Gardens. 50 varieties, organically grown. Looks like it closed in 1996 and was developed into housing? How sad. Thanks for the memory.

Made a very simple golden beet greens sauté tonight that I finished off with the banana vinegar and served with the roasted beets that had some Jean Georges Vongerichen-style chili oil I made from the Modern Cuisine book. Just fantastic.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 weeks later...

Nice article on Steve and Rancho Gordo:

Napa heirloom bean venture changes lives in Mexico

Great job!

That is so wonderful on so many levels. "Great job!" indeed.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 4 weeks later...

This place was awesome:

Ventura - the Seaside Banana Gardens. 50 varieties, organically grown

banana vinegar ceviche - oh my.

Have a friend who loves ceviche. I've never made it.

Can you provide hints of proportions, etc?

It would be a lovely surprise gift.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.