• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel Ripple Marshmallows

CanadianBakin'

I posted in the Marshmallow thread but haven't had any replies so I thought I'd list it as a new topic.

I made Nightscotsman's vanilla marshmallows & folded in some homemade caramel sauce right before pouring them onto the pan. They are seriously amazing but...I'm wondering if the ribbon of caramel sauce is safe. When I make marshmallows with fruit purees they are fine at room temp for weeks so my instinct would be that the caramel will be fine too but there's dairy involved and I'd prefer not to use my liability insurance by poisoning someone. :)

Does anyone know?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I don't have any recommendations, though I guess I'd be more nervous about the caramel since it's dairy and it's a ripple, not incorporated throughout. Have you done puree ripples? I've been wanting to try a lemon marshmallow with a blackberry ripple. I initially was thinking more like seedless jam, though that seems too sweet and heavy.

Kind of related, would anyone have recommendations for finding the safety of a cake/frosting/confection? I've found basic information on individual ingredients, but otherwise it seems like I just find a lot of opinions.

I made Nightscotsman's vanilla marshmallows & folded in some homemade caramel sauce right before pouring them onto the pan. They are seriously amazing but...I'm wondering if the ribbon of caramel sauce is safe. When I make marshmallows with fruit purees they are fine at room temp for weeks so my instinct would be that the caramel will be fine too but there's dairy involved and I'd prefer not to use my liability insurance by poisoning someone. :)

Does anyone know?

Dunno about shelf life, but my concern would be the marshmallow taking water out of the caramel syrup and going gooey or crystallizing before too long. It sounds luscious, though.

When you do fruit flavors, do you swirl the puree in or beat it with the sugar/gelatin mixture? It never occurred to me to do a fruit swirl, but it's an intriguing idea.

Patty

I've never done a fruit puree swirl. I've always used them to bloom the gelatin.

I made the caramel marshmallows this past Tuesday and so far they are holding up, no moisture issues. I'll try to hide a couple so that I can keep an eye on them over the next couple weeks. I'm hoping to start producing them this week....we'll see.

I found this article that says caramel sauce is safe at room temperature for a month and safe in the fridge for 3 months but I don't see a source reference. http://www.ifood.tv/blog/how-to-store-caramel I know it's correct about time in the fridge. I don't know if I've ever had it go bad even after several months.

Another option I was thinking of is to make caramels & then soften them just prior to using. This article suggests that they are more likely to have a moisture problem so maybe I'm better to stick with the sauce.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

If you can get your Aw down to < 0.6 on both the caramel and the marshmallow, you should get great shelf life from a microbiological standpoint. It should be easily doable with both. If you want them to avoid moisture migration from the caramel to the 'mallow (or vice versa) you should get them both to have the same Aw (if they're both the same, the water that's there will be quite happy where it is, and won't want to travel in hopes of finding greener pastures...). Most folks don't have an Aw tester, so this might fall into the category of 'interesting but completely unhelpful' - if so, i apologize 8-)

If you can get your Aw down to < 0.6 on both the caramel and the marshmallow, you should get great shelf life from a microbiological standpoint. It should be easily doable with both. If you want them to avoid moisture migration from the caramel to the 'mallow (or vice versa) you should get them both to have the same Aw (if they're both the same, the water that's there will be quite happy where it is, and won't want to travel in hopes of finding greener pastures...). Most folks don't have an Aw tester, so this might fall into the category of 'interesting but completely unhelpful' - if so, i apologize 8-)

:laugh: I'm afraid 'very interesting but unhelpful' it is. However, if they aren't too expensive I could get one. I'll look it up. Thanks!