• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Your Curds and Whey

weinoo

Every time you crack open a container of yogurt, there's the whey. And even if you pour it off, and scoop out some of the yogurt from the container, there's the whey.

So, are you a stir back in person, or do you just keep pouring that whey off?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Astro Balkan yogurt has minimum whey so that it never a problem. The other kind we use (when I am too lazy or preoccupied to make it) is Liberte (can't do accent aigu) and it has quite a lot of whey.

We have two big dogs and they get a large dollop of yogurt for breakfast every day. Problem solved.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I make my own yogurt 99% of the time.

I pour the whey into plastic ice cube trays and when frozen solid into freezer zip bags.

I use the whey in yeast breads (especially sourdoughs), quick breads and scones, waffles and etc. I like the flavor and in my opinion it gives a nice "boost" to yeast breads.

I don't like to waste anything that has nutritive value.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I make my own yogurt 99% of the time.

I pour the whey into plastic ice cube trays and when frozen solid into freezer zip bags.

I use the whey in yeast breads (especially sourdoughs), quick breads and scones, waffles and etc. I like the flavor and in my opinion it gives a nice "boost" to yeast breads.

I don't like to waste anything that has nutritive value.

So there you are again, Andie, showing me how dense I can be! I usually pour it away since I can't think of an immediate use for it. Never occured to me to freeze it. :wacko: I promise it won't happen again.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Big yes for whey in breads...though I can't say I usually have a lot of whey from yoghurt, mostly from making paneer. Whey is also good to add to any vegetables, dal or rice you are cooking.

I have also heard some people using whey like proper Indian buttermilk (e.g. buttermilk that is left over when butter is made rather than the cultured buttermilk found in supermarkets). So I guess you can collect enough whey for a glass, then add minced green chillies, fresh coriander (cilantro) curry leaves and salt...serve very cool on a hot day :smile:

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 3/13/2011 at 10:08 PM, Jenni said:

Big yes for whey in breads...though I can't say I usually have a lot of whey from yoghurt, mostly from making paneer. Whey is also good to add to any vegetables, dal or rice you are cooking.

I have also heard some people using whey like proper Indian buttermilk (e.g. buttermilk that is left over when butter is made rather than the cultured buttermilk found in supermarkets). So I guess you can collect enough whey for a glass, then add minced green chillies, fresh coriander (cilantro) curry leaves and salt...serve very cool on a hot day :smile:

Thank-you, thank-you! I found you as I'm looking for ways to used up the whey from the dry cottage cheese that I just made. I have an abundance of green peppers growing (jalapenos, espelette, some mystery ones), always lots of coriander, and this is just what we need for the residual summer heat this year in Munich!

The ricotta that I tried to make didn't coagulate, so most of the proteins probably went into the cheese. Fine, tho' that was my main agenda. From almost two liters of milk I have just a bit over a liter of whey. What kind of pastries do you recommend? I don't often make pasta, so that's pretty much off the table (sic). When I make yoghurt, I start with milk. How would you use whey here? Need to replenish yoghurt this weekend anyway, so comes in a timely way. Thanks!