• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: robirdstx (2011) - My Spring Break: By The Bay And Throug

In addition to the strawberries, we bought this little thyme plant to put in the garden.

Frobergs-08.jpg

This, then your citrus plants -- do you grow a lot of the produce you use?

Your fish then fishcakes look so good to me -- I'd like a plate of each, please. :wink:

Hi Pam, I've had some luck with herbs in my yard; not so much with tomatoes or peppers. We have a lot of big trees that shade most of the yard (and drop a lot of leaves in the pool) but I had a meyer lemon several years ago (can't remember why it did not thrive) and thought I'd try with another one. Fingers crossed!

We have family coming to Mesilla, New Mexico to celebrate two birthdays that just happen to be on St. Patrick's Day. One birthday is a 75th and the other is a 27th. We will be having our birthday party at a little bed and breakfast named Casa de Rosie in Old Mesilla. Rosie's has two bedrooms and a casita. Other family members will have the two bedrooms but the casita is mine!

Dinner last night was carry out from a local favorite, Andele Restaurante, eaten under the stars on the patio at my Mother's home.

Chicken Quesadilla and Guacamole,

Andeles-01.jpg

Pork and Chicken Tacos Al Carbon,

Andeles-02.jpg

Andeles-04.jpg

Andeles-03.jpg

and I almost forgot to take a photo, Frijoles Charros.

Andeles-05.jpg

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Here's my kitchen in the casita at Rosie's.

Rosies-04.jpg

We will be having our birthday party out here in the courtyard this evening. The door in the background leads to the casita.

Rosies-03.jpg

Rosies-02.jpg

Let's go see Rosie's kitchen in the main house

Rosies-01.jpg

And here's whats for breakfast today.

Rosies-05.jpg

Rosie makes her own bread and fruit jams. :wub:

I want to hang out in Rosie's kitchen! That breakfast looks perfect- I want to dip that well toasted bread into the eggs. The setting is fantastic - looking forward to the festivities.

I want to hang out in Rosie's kitchen! That breakfast looks perfect- I want to dip that well toasted bread into the eggs. The setting is fantastic - looking forward to the festivities.

Hi Heidi, Rosie had a smile a mile wide when I told her your comments. She sends her thanks!

After breakfast I took a walk over to The Potteries. They are less than half a mile from Rosie's.

Potteries-01.jpg

The potter wasn't in but when I told one of the other artists that I was doing this foodblog, I was invited into their studio to photograph some of the pieces in progress. These have all been fired once and are awaiting the addition of the final details and firing.

Potteries-02.jpg

Back to the showroom to shop.

Potteries-03.jpg

Potteries-04.jpg

Potteries-05.jpg

And I selected this bowl to bring home. :wub:

Potteries-06.jpg

I adore pintos. Can you describe the frijoles charros. I did google the term but it seems pretty broad.

They were delicious! :biggrin: They describe them as a spicy bean soup on their menu. There were chunks of pork and serranos (I think) in with the beans.

After visiting The Potteries, I walked over to Andeles to get these photos for you. :biggrin:

Tortilleria-01.jpg

Tortilleria-02.jpg

Tortilleria-03.jpg

I couldn't get a photo of the tortilla mixing and production itself but I could see a big Hobart mixer and a conveyor belt with lots of tortillas moving along.

What is your tortilla reheating method of choice?

If I have to reheat them I usually wrap them in a damp cloth and put them in the micro on medium for a few seconds. This time I added the meat and sauce to the tortillas and just covered them with a paper towel and nuked them for about 30 seconds on medium, then added the garnish.

We had a lot of fun at the party last night. Dinner was corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. My mom brought everything over from her house and we cooked the food in her electric roaster out in the courtyard.

Party-01.jpg

Party-02.jpg

Party-03.jpg

Party-04.jpg

And of course, we had birthday cake. A store bought German chocolate bundt.

Party-05.jpg

I, too, am really enjoying your culinary travels. I lived in Houston from 1968-1973 and have very fond memories of dining in various seafood restaurants in Galveston--my favorite was a funky place on the bay side of the island--or boiling shrimp on the beach. From Houston we moved to Tucson, and while living there we made numerous trips for various reasons to Southern New Mexico where we enjoyed some of the finest Mexican food I've ever tasted. Please keep on keeping on. It's been quite a trip.

I, too, am really enjoying your culinary travels. I lived in Houston from 1968-1973 and have very fond memories of dining in various seafood restaurants in Galveston--my favorite was a funky place on the bay side of the island--or boiling shrimp on the beach. From Houston we moved to Tucson, and while living there we made numerous trips for various reasons to Southern New Mexico where we enjoyed some of the finest Mexican food I've ever tasted. Please keep on keeping on. It's been quite a trip.

Thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying the ride. My Dad lives just north of Tucson, so I get over that way when I can.

Today the "ladies" went to the Plaza in Old Mesilla to shop and lunch. Every Friday and Sunday there is an Arts, Crafts and Seasonal Market on the Plaza. Today I met Don Rogelio Cornelio Villegas and talked with him about his salsas. The salsas are made with peppers grown on his family farm in Hatch, NM from family recipes.

Plaza-01.jpg

Plaza-02.jpg

Plaza-03.jpg

Plaza-04.jpg

I am bringing four jars home in my luggage - one each of his Flame Roasted Green Chile, Salsa de Jalapeno (El Macho Hot), Sun Dried Red Chile Sauce, and Salsa de Piquin (this one is his personal favorite for tacos). :biggrin:

We took a break from shopping to rest our feet and have an early lunch at Peppers Cafe.

Plaza-05.jpg

The view from our table.

Plaza-06.jpg

We had a pleasant experience (great wait staff) and totally enjoyed our meal.

I had the Spinach House Salad (spinach leaves, onion rings, sliced mushrooms, and bacon crumbles.) The vinaigrette was served on the side, so I added a drizzle for the photo.

Plaza-07.jpg

Mom had the Seafood Avocado Salad (white fish, shrimp, scallops in mayonnaise dressing served over mixed greens with avocado slices, tomato wedges, cucumber slices and black olives.)

Plaza-08.jpg

And my sister had one of the Big Jim Chile Rellenos, a House Specialty with a side of black beans (a Big Jim Hatch Green Chile with three Cheeses, lightly crisped and dressed with their Mesilla Valley Hatch Green Chile sauce.)

Plaza-09.jpg

I feel really stupid for asking, but I don't think I've really come across you before on the boards robirdstx, so I don't feel I know much about you! Apologies if you have to repeat something you've posted elsewhere, but can you say a little about yourself? I'm particularly interested in your New Mexico connection, it seems you go semi-often? Do you have family there, or is it just a favourite destination?

Btw, your sister's meal looks utterly divine! I feel like I should be rooting for the nice healthy salads, but I'm drawn to the naughty plate!

I feel really stupid for asking, but I don't think I've really come across you before on the boards robirdstx, so I don't feel I know much about you! Apologies if you have to repeat something you've posted elsewhere, but can you say a little about yourself? I'm particularly interested in your New Mexico connection, it seems you go semi-often? Do you have family there, or is it just a favourite destination?

Btw, your sister's meal looks utterly divine! I feel like I should be rooting for the nice healthy salads, but I'm drawn to the naughty plate!

Please don't feel stupid. Thank you for asking. I am just a home cook that likes to photograph food! :laugh: I am a wife (35 years and counting) and became a grandmother in late 2008. I quit working outside of the house about ten years ago, which has given me the time to learn and "play" with cooking. I found eGullet several years ago when I was looking for information on knife skills. After lurking for a couple of years, I wanted to start making the occasional contribution and became a participating member. Most of my posts are on the Dinner thread. :wub:

I come to New Mexico because my mother and her husband have had their home here for the last five years.

I wish I had done the naughty plate, too. But I had had a full breakfast and we were going to be having grilled lobster tails for dinner and I didn't want to risk spoiling my appetite. :biggrin:

Lobster-02.jpg

Great looking rellenos! I had my first in Santa Rosa NM on a marathon trip from the east to Arizona and have never come close to the goodness since. But that looks like a worthy contender.

And thanks for the photos of the pottery.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.