• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Thai in the Theater District

Rich Pawlak

I'm looking for a good Thai restaurant for a group of 6-8 near the Theater District, post-matinee on a Saturday. I've heard of PONGSRI on W.48th, but I've never been. Worth it, or are there better nearby? I know this is a narrow request, but that's the consesnus of the group, food-wise.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'm looking for a good Thai restaurant for a group of 6-8 near the Theater District, post-matinee on a Saturday. I've heard of PONGSRI on W.48th, but I've never been. Worth it, or are there better nearby? I know this is a narrow request, but that's the consesnus of the group, food-wise.

The Pongsri in Chinatown is much better than that one, so I'd agree with the above that Wondee is probably better than the 48th St. Pongsri. Subjective, of course. I've also heard some say they like Pam Real Thai in that area, though I haven't been personally, so can't vouch for it.

Pam's Real Thai is good. But Pure Thai is really a lot lot better than Wondee or Pam's. Pure is owned by the people who own Land Thai. Wendy brought chefs from her dad's restaurant in Thailand to cook at Pure Thai. These guys dont even understand the concept of modulating heat in a dish. But the food is superb.

Funny, I just mentioned this in another post. I think all the Hell's Kitchen Thai places are inconsistent, but the original, smaller Wondee Siam is the best - by far. No reservations, and BYOB, so may not suit your party. Order off the small Thai special table menu. We had some spectacular dishes on one visit - insist that you want the unusual stuff, Thai spicy, etc. This place was originally recommended to me by friends from Thailand.

Their sister restaurant is nothing special - bog-standard Thai cuisine you could find in any mall unfortunately :(

If only we had a Jitlada or a Renu Nakorn in NYC! (And no, Lotus of Siam NYC ain't it.)

Edited by patrickamory (log)

vivin - no, I haven't been to Pure Thai! So please discount any absolutism in my post.

It looks to me like Pure Thai is more about Thai street food - fast-cooked wok fare, correct? Wondee Siam I is more restaurant style - salads, curries.

I really had an awful meal at Wondee Siam II - so mediocre it makes me worry that changes have happened at the original since I was last there (about 6 months ago). They seem to be opening up other branches across the city, never a good sign.