• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blend Tec on sale

victornet

It seems to me that just because the serial number starts with R it doesn't necessarily mean it's remanufactured. It's logically impossible for them to have an unlimited number of remanufactured units. At some point they have to run out and then choose between filling orders with new units or not fulfilling orders. Since they have chosen to fill the orders, it seems more likely that at some point they have to switch to shipping new units. So the R could just mean it's part of the series but it could easily be all-new.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Am I the only one who still hasn't got their shipment yet? Wondering whether I should follow up. Can't wait to start blending!

I'm still waiting as well. Also, apparently I was not privy to a color choice.

Mine arrived today. The fridge is now empty of all fruit and veg. and I'm looking for something else to destroy at high speed. :laugh:

Golf balls?

With my Vita mix and now with the BlendTec, I have been making a corn soup that is pretty simple and easy to make. I've been using bagged frozen corn which is placed in the blender with some sauteed onions and celery. Water and milk are added as well as chicken stock base and a tsp of chipotle. Cilantro can be added for more flavor if desired. This is blended up to a smooth consistency and taste like it was made with cream. I've added some toasted corn at the end and blended lightly to add some texture and flavor. Very rich and creamy. I've been enjoying it both cold and warm.

I finally emailed Blendtec yesterday to inquire about shipment. This strategy apparently worked because they emailed me right back informing me that it was being shipped out. Since I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, can someone tell me how they are shipping them (eg fedex?) so I can advise my neighbor to keep a lookout? I can't wait to start using it!

I finally emailed Blendtec yesterday to inquire about shipment. This strategy apparently worked because they emailed me right back informing me that it was being shipped out. Since I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, can someone tell me how they are shipping them (eg fedex?) so I can advise my neighbor to keep a lookout? I can't wait to start using it!

Just received mine last Thursday. Arrived via UPS.

Mine appeared last night...I had about given up hope and vowed to look up my confirmation number. It is black version, came with two jars and this evening I will return with smoothie ingredients since I have extra time now that I don't have to email BlendTec!

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Unless they have some antiquated inventory system I can't imagine they'll send out new units to fill too many orders for refurbished machines, any smart modern system would simply say out of stock once the lot of units is gone.

Of course there's no real definition of refurbished, it could be a machine that was used once and returned, cleaned, tested and repackaged, it could be a machine where some electronic burned out and got replaced, could be a brand new unit where they used the motor of an otherwise broken returned machine, who knows. In any case I'm sure they would apply a new serial number, otherwise they might end up with two customers out there having registered the same unit. It might even be a legal requirement to give a new serial number. That aside, a refurbished unit has to look brand new as far as I know, at least I've never seen one sold that didn't. Damaged units (scratches, cracks, etc) can be sold too as long as they're safe, but they'd not be refurbished, they'd be slightly damaged/show signs of use but carry full warranty as well. Similar to open box items at Best Buy etc, somebody returned it, they checked if it works and pack it somehow (in a bag, taped into the old box, etc) at a discount.

But really refurbished is just as fine as brand new, doesn't mean you have to scrape dried sauce out and wipe off finger prints. It's just smart inhouse recycling of returned parts. That they offer a longer than usual warranty is interesting and somewhat odd, if I'd have bought a new unit I'd request the same warranty, but other than that there should be no difference between a fresh of the line machine and one that was repaired or built with cannibalized parts.

But a company that would accept more orders for refurb units than they have, and then has to send out new units to fill orders would probably not be around for long. If they can't manage simple inventory issues like that, I'd not trust them much further than I could throw such a blender :laugh:

Now I'm looking forward to some recipes here! I'm most likely gonna get me a VitaMix later this month and am especially interested in soups, savory juices, making flour, things like that.

Happy blending!

Edited by OliverB (log)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

My Blendtec finally arrived yesterday, and when I flipped it on, the counter on it was already at 6. Does this mean that it was tested 6 times in the factory (perfectly understandable) or that it was used 6 times and then returned (also fine by me)? Has anyone else had their counter start at anything greater than 0?

But a company that would accept more orders for refurb units than they have, and then has to send out new units to fill orders would probably not be around for long.

Not necessarily true at all. You assume that they are actually getting rid of refurb units, but it may not be that simple. Quite a few companies strongly resist heavy (or even any) discounting; I'm pretty sure Blendtec is one of them. They don't want to discount the brand, or have consumers holding off for "the sale", that kind of thing. These companies can work around that limitation by selling "refurb" units. This could allow them to dump some excess inventory, etc. I'd see it working this this: they discover they have both quite a few refurb units kicking around as well as some excess inventory. So, they offer a quick sale, with the plan to dip into the excess new units if they get rid of the refurbs, since they want to move a few of them as well. Also, they might get the blender a few places like egullet to get some good "press" (in internet terms), selling to people who might not otherwise pony up. They extol its virtues, you know the rest.

It would not surprise me if the refurbs were actually a blend (heh) of refurb and new.

Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to open the box yet.

P1020663.JPG

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I received my Blendtec a few weeks ago and I've been impressed. I'm not particularly interested in smoothies, but I did test my new toy by making one which turned out quite nice. I was more interested in using it for pureeing vegetable soups and it does a very good job.

For instance, I made a simple asparagus soup last week and typically I break off the tough and fibrous ends of the spears. This time, despite the thickness of the spears (1/2" to 1") I decided to leave the ends in the soup. I ran the soup through the soup cycle one time and it came out incredibly smooth and almost creamy. My wife asked me multiple times if I had put any cream or other dairy products in it because it was so smooth.

My Blendtec finally arrived yesterday, and when I flipped it on, the counter on it was already at 6. Does this mean that it was tested 6 times in the factory (perfectly understandable) or that it was used 6 times and then returned (also fine by me)? Has anyone else had their counter start at anything greater than 0?

My counter was at 0, but the rocker switch was on. I used it twice and turned off the rocker switch, and the next time I turned it on it was back at 0. Doesn't reset anymore when I turn off the switch, so I guess somehow it was set to reset after cycling the rocker, perhaps to allow for in-house testing?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to unpack and use the new Blendtec today. It's a beautiful piece of eqipment. I'm pleasantly surprised that the larger pitcher, with Tom Dickson's signature on it, doesn't take up any more vertical space than the smaller one. The unit's case, the pitchers and everything visible seem factory new. I suppose the motor could have been extracted from a demo model or return but I'm going to go with the fantasy that at some point they just started shipping new units. Also, I think the buttons on this one are nicer than on my old one -- more tactile.

In the time I was away from a Blendtec I lost my ability to estimate quantities so tonight's mango sorbet required some adjusting. But I'll get my mojo back.

My wife rolled her eyes when I told her about this purchase, The only thing I had a chance to use it for to date was Ramsay's broccoli soup which we both agreed was good but not earth shattering. This morning we finally decided to make some smoothies. Simple strawberry one for my daughter. Greek yogurt, ice, blueberries, spinach and chia seeds I wanted to try since seeing them on Rancho Gordo's website. After one sip she proclaimed, "That thing is worth every penny!" Pretty cool :biggrin: Next up: peanut butter.

Edited by karlos (log)