• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blend Tec on sale

victornet

I also received the same email - about 6 hours after UPS delivered the blender. I was a bit surprised, though impressed, with the service. The order was placed on the last day of the sale, 03/14, and received on 03/22.

Interesting. did you order a specific color?

Black. When I received the email regarding color choice, I had trouble responding so I called the customer service department. The rep told me that black was the default color, but that the other 3 colors were readily available. That's when I began wondering whether or not all of the units sold were truly refurbished, or if new ones were being added to fulfill all of the orders.

Rebuilt or new, there seems to be a decent warranty...then again I always seem to forget to register or save my sales receipts! I imagine this sale was a combination of clearing out the older refurbished units and/or a way to reduce inventories on new ones. In either case, they found a clever way to move a bunch of blenders out the door.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Ditto. I wonder how the production of a reconditioned item can be elastic. Maybe they'll just ship new ones?

I'm wondering how many return units they had in stock when they decided to run this offer? They would probably have to ship out new units if they oversold on the reconditioned ones, no?

This is the e-mail I received yesterday:

Thank you for your order, its taking us a little longer than usual to ship!

Since most of you probably saw this deal on slickdeals or fatwallet, you know that this deal went viral! We had so many people participate that we've backlogged our manufaturing and shipping departments.

The latest report from our manufacturing department is that the blenders will all ship within the next two weeks. We appologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

Blendtec

I made identical smoothies this AM in the new Blendtec and old Kitchen Aid.

Each contains frozen berries, tofu, cooked beets, a few raw baby carrots, 2 oz pomegranate juice, a spoonful of frozen OJ concentrate, flax seed, oat bran, wheat bran, a few ice cubes and a couple ounces of water.

IMG_0989.jpg

Both blended up fine.

IMG_0990.jpg

The Blendtec gets points for ease of use. I had to stop the Kitchen Aid and stir things down in order to get everything blending as I usually do with these smoothies. I then let it blend at high speed for about 2 minutes.

With the Blendtec, I used the Smoothie cycle and it got everything going really quickly, no need to stop and scrape down the sides. At the end of the cycle, it wasn't as smooth as I like so I ran it another minute.

The end products were similar. No night and day difference. The Blendtec smoothie was slightly smoother, little blackberry seeds were less noticeable but the difference was not large.

I'm looking forward to trying it with other things.

I got mine yesterday. Funny enough, I have the same old setup (kitchen aid and red blendtec). I made a smoothie today with strawberries, granola, ice, yogurt and half a banana and ran it on smoothie. THe end result was super smooth. I can't believe your KA was the same consistency. Mine would have been nowhere close. For one, it would pulverize the strawberry seeds and it certainly doesn't have anywhere as close to a uniform texture. I see you didn't use strawberries so maybe that is the difference?

Anyway, I'm a fan of the blendtec. I have some mole come up this weekend along with some butternut squash soup.

Mine arrived today in Connecticut (ordered a black one last day of the sale). Looks brand new: the box didn't have anything on it about being a refurb, and the manufacture date on the base says March 2011. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl!

Hmm. I ordered mine (in black) toward the middle of the sale, I think, but it hasn't arrived yet. I wonder if they think that Midwesterners are more patient than New York (and vicinity) types.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I got mine a few days ago and have used it several times to make smoothies, soups and purees. What I like about it over my brand new Vitamix 5200 is;

1. The multiple jars with straight sides. These are so much easier to clear out with a spatula compared to the Vitamix jar

2. The base is a lot smaller and lighter than the Vitamix, so it looks like a regular home blender and it can sit under kitchen cabinets.

3. The jury is still out on the programmed cycles. Nice to be able to walk away and there is less need for a plunger but one would still be nice.

What I like about Vitamix

1. The high setting seems a lot more powerful than the highest setting on the Blendtec.

2. I like the rheostat type spreed control

3. I think a plunger is needed with both blenders. The Vitamix provides theirs as a standard

4. The base is heavier so it doesn't walk around the counter when blending.

They both do an adequate job of blending and breaking down the hardest ingredients and producing ultra smooth end products.

Just received my white one. Any other Canadians waiting be prepared for a $70 UPS customs fee. I swear I remember reading that this comes with one regular jar and one wildside jar. My box even has check marks beside 2q jar and 3q jar however I opened it up and it's two identical 2q jars. For anyone else that received it did you get 2 identical jars?

*edit: Here's where I read that http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/48317/blendtec-blendtec-home-the-professionals-choice-1560watt-total-blender-wildside-jar-factory-reconditioned-w-10-year-warranty

Edited by rob1234 (log)

Rob1234, you should have gotten both jars, not two of the same. Mine just came today (no email notification, no tracking #). Like someone else mentioned, mine appears to be new! Can't wait to start playing with this- smoothies, peanut butter, sun butter, fondues. Very excited. Oh, mine is white which may determine when it arrives due to popularity.

Mine just came today (no email notification, no tracking #). Like someone else mentioned, mine appears to be new! Can't wait to start playing with this- smoothies, peanut butter, sun butter, fondues. Very excited. Oh, mine is white which may determine when it arrives due to popularity.

My red one arrived Tuesday, as I was picking up the phone to call Blendtec (ditto to no e-mail or tracking). Ditto to appearing to be new; date stamp of 3/11. I made the Gordon Ramsay broccoli soup first; it didn't even need a full cycle to make it ethereally smooth.

If it matters, the one I received over a week ago is white.

The smoothies that I've made so far are amazingly smooth compared to the highly rated (by C.I., that is) KitchenAid I was using previously. The jar shape, as mentioned above, is perfect for getting every last bit out.

I'm looking forward to moving onto some more challenging blends.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

How do we tell if it is new? Mine certainly looks new but that just means they changed the base plastic during refurbishing? I received both sizes of the jars and have been using the blender almost constantly since we purchased it. Been mostly making smoothies but also made a batch of puebla-style mole last weekend that came out quite well. The texture was very very smooth and had no problems getting large amounts of stuff into the blender as opposed to the several batches it would have taken me in the older KA we have.

How do we tell if it is new? Mine certainly looks new but that just means they changed the base plastic during refurbishing?

Turn the base over and look at your serial number. It should start with an "R" denoting refurbished. The format of my unit's number reads as RTBBTD followed by a dash and 5 numbers. I take this as an internal code to abbreviate Refurbished Total Blender Black Tom Dickson.

Should your unit ever need service, the the 10 year warranty will tie to the SN.