• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blend Tec on sale

victornet

Egullet has to be the most expensive website I visit. I read through the blender thread that FatGuy recommended and came to the realization that in addition to Modernist Cuisine, Artistre starter set, pressure cooker and induction cooktop, my cooking life would not be complete without a BlendTec! I love this place :cool:

Ha - I agree. I have read the blender discussion with envy and kept waiting for the time to jump in. Couldn't pass this up either - my husband jokes that it is time to stop reading egullet :laugh: .

Just a quick thanks to the op, victornet, for the sale alert, and others for the input on the unit. I've been vacillating between Blend Tec and VitaMix for a couple months. At half price with an extended warranty, it's a no brainer.

Just pulled the trigger, and have one en route.

Victornet thank you for your generousity in sharing...now the deed is done!

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

why do they have so many refurbished units? That seems odd. And longer warranty than on a perfectly fine new one?

Of course, if it were a vitamix I'd probably have jumped on it, but I don't like those foil buttons (too many failed on me) and have no use for program settings, I like the analog turn-me-and-I-speed-up button, just a personal preference of course, one could argue for these foil things that they're easier to clean.

Not that I need one, every time I get sucked into the blender thread I'm on the websites ready to buy, but then I realize that I use my perfectly fine blender maybe twice a year :laugh:

I actually want to need one, any excuse is good for a new cooking gadget (currently exploring outdoor wok burners - again) but I never crushed ice in my life (except on frozen lakes and ponds), don't make juices and generally prefer watery over blended soups (though my blender handles any soup I've ever thrown at it just fine). Just can't justify $500 (or 250 for that matter) for something I use so rarely.

What do you all do with them? In particular, what that a good standard blender can't do? And makes it worth the price? I've sat in front of the "buy" button many times, but never got past that question.

I'll probably end up with a vitamix down the road, if my current osterizer ever dies. (Actually my wife bought that in college or something like that.)

But that aside, thanks for sharing the link! I got my Sous Vide Supreme Demi $100 off via a shared link here, shows you that this site can lead to savings, even if it mostly leads to a longer wish list on amazon :cool:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Glad I posted the sale (right after I ordered one for myself) and that we all did our bit to stimulate the economy. I had been eyeing the Blendtec and Vitamix around Christmas, but talked myself out of the $400 expense. This sale made the decision easy.

I wondered why there was no color choice on the website, but since the model pictured was black and I wanted black I didn't care. Turns out, there is a color choice. This email just arrived from Blendtec:

Tell Us Which Color You'd Like!

We've got your order, now we need to know which color you would like. We have White, Red, Coffee and Black available. Click the link below to choose your color.

http://www.blendtec.com/sxsw_color_choosers/

If you already called to specify your color, please disregard this email. Please allow up to 10 business days for your order to ship.

Yours Truly, Blendtec

P.S. If we don't hear back from you within 48 hours, we'll just pick a color for you :)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wondered why there was no color choice on the website, but since the model pictured was black and I wanted black I didn't care. Turns out, there is a color choice. This email just arrived from Blendtec:

Tell Us Which Color You'd Like!

We've got your order, now we need to know which color you would like. We have White, Red, Coffee and Black available. Click the link below to choose your color.

http://www.blendtec.com/sxsw_color_choosers/

If you already called to specify your color, please disregard this email. Please allow up to 10 business days for your order to ship.

Yours Truly, Blendtec

P.S. If we don't hear back from you within 48 hours, we'll just pick a color for you :)

Got the same email, and submitted my choice - black. Got an error message stating that my data could not be accepted, or something similar. Called customer service and the rep told me that black was the default color for all orders with this promo, and that you could only make a choice if you wanted a different color - red, white, or coffee.

Ha! Must be an eGullet thing. I ordered black, too. I was tempted by red, as our dining room walls are red and the room is open to the kitchen, but uniformity prevailed over sparkle. I didn't get that error messge, though.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I also chose black and got no error message.

I had a red one, and I really liked the color, but I was ready for a change -- as were the other members of the family.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I chose the red, to harmonize with my various Empire Red Kitchen Aid toys.

Me, too. I've been making my breakfast smoothies with an older Kitchen Aid for years and looking forward to trying the BlendTec to see if they get even smoother :biggrin:

You won't be disappointed. We used an older KA blender but gave it away due to the fact that it would always leave chunks. The design, whether the jar of blades would just not incorporate all the ingredients well.

So it looks like Blendtec is pulling a Modernist Cuisine :wink: . That is...

We had so many people participate that we've backlogged our manufaturing and shipping departments.

The latest report from our manufacturing department is that the blenders will all ship within the next two weeks. We appologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

Blendtec

That's the email I just received.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Two more weeks? I don't know if I can take it. When we got married (almost 23 years ago), we received either 3 or 4 (or 5? :unsure: ) blenders at our shower because people knew we like to make frozen drinks. Since that time, we have been gifted a few more. I have never purchased a blender in my life. The quality of the ones we have been gifted have been either bad or worse! I have been checking every day for this delivery and already been fantasizing about all of the wonderful things I will be making with it.

Ditto. I wonder how the production of a reconditioned item can be elastic. Maybe they'll just ship new ones?

Ditto. I wonder how the production of a reconditioned item can be elastic. Maybe they'll just ship new ones?

I'm wondering how many return units they had in stock when they decided to run this offer? They would probably have to ship out new units if they oversold on the reconditioned ones, no?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

If they do fill some orders with new units, I wonder what that indicates about their profit margin. I guess if the thing is selling for $379 at Costco there's still room to profit on a $250 direct sale.

I also received the same email - about 6 hours after UPS delivered the blender. I was a bit surprised, though impressed, with the service. The order was placed on the last day of the sale, 03/14, and received on 03/22.

I wonder if they will eventually reprice the unit. It seems that the volume unexpected and indicates that their usual price is way to high for a big chunk of the market.

If they do fill some orders with new units, I wonder what that indicates about their profit margin. I guess if the thing is selling for $379 at Costco there's still room to profit on a $250 direct sale.

Once you add that second blender jar, $250 is probably cutting it pretty close.

I also received the same email - about 6 hours after UPS delivered the blender. I was a bit surprised, though impressed, with the service. The order was placed on the last day of the sale, 03/14, and received on 03/22.

Interesting. did you order a specific color?

I wonder if they will eventually reprice the unit. It seems that the volume unexpected and indicates that their usual price is way to high for a big chunk of the market.

I think people just like a good deal. Two jars, a great price and a 10 year warranty all add up to a good deal.

My thought is they had, say 50 or 100 returned units sitting in the factory and wanted to move them out. And then got deluged.

Tasty Travails - My Blog