• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blend Tec on sale

victornet

Maybe I should return my Blendtec to Costco and buy this one instead. Longer warranty and two pitchers? That is so awesome.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Maybe I should return my Blendtec to Costco and buy this one instead. Longer warranty and two pitchers? That is so awesome.

Will Costco take it back? You've had it for a while. If so...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Given it's a refurbished model, it probably belonged to some other person who used it for as long as s/he could before returning it to Costco to get a new one.

I would imagine it's practically brand new once it's reconditioned. It has a full 10-year warranty, whereas a brand-new Blendtec 2-jar combo, which sells for almost $500, has a 3-year warranty, though an extended 4-year warranty is available for another $110. So basically I'm looking forward to getting $600 in product for $250, guaranteed for 10 years. I'll take my chances.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Given it's a refurbished model, it probably belonged to some other person who used it for as long as s/he could before returning it to Costco to get a new one.

I would imagine it's practically brand new once it's reconditioned. It has a full 10-year warranty, whereas a brand-new Blendtec 2-jar combo, which sells for almost $500, has a 3-year warranty, though an extended 4-year warranty is available for another $110. So basically I'm looking forward to getting $600 in product for $250, guaranteed for 10 years. I'll take my chances.

I agree that it's a good deal. But that wasn't really the point I really wanted to make (but since it was brought up. . .).

If you don't already own one, or want to purchase a second one, it's a great buy. But if you are going to return one you already own (that works just fine and you've used it regularly since its purchase), just to take advantage of this great deal, then it may still be a great buy, but I think you're at the very least unethical (and a great deal more that should not be printed here).

I agree that it's a good deal. But that wasn't really the point I really wanted to make (but since it was brought up. . .).

If you don't already own one, or want to purchase a second one, it's a great buy. But if you are going to return one you already own (that works just fine and you've used it regularly since its purchase), just to take advantage of this great deal, then it may still be a great buy, but I think you're at the very least unethical (and a great deal more that should not be printed here).

I completely disagree with that - if a place has a no-questions-asked return policy, that is part of what you are paying for. They are free to set whatever return policy they want, and you have to abide by that. If you have to lie to return it, that is a different story but I don't think that is being discussed here.

As much as I'd love to get involved in an ethics-related discussion, I have a more pressing product-related issue. I have a Blendtec in my cart right now, but I'm going through an internal debate about whether to click the Buy button. It's undoubtedly a great deal, and I certainly would use it (although not frequently), but I'm wondering if it would provide a significant enough advantage over my current blender.

I have a relatively new (less than 1 year old) five-speed KitchenAid blender. I use it primarily for pureeing soups and the like, making pesto, and crushing ice. I have no complaints other than how loud it is. What could the Blendtec do that my KA could not do at all, or not as well?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I definitely suggest reading the high-power blender topic. It's a different category of appliance.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I definitely suggest reading the high-power blender topic. It's a different category of appliance.

Thanks, Steven. I just purchased one. Your post about using the Blendtec to make fondue was the decision maker. Well, not really, but that's pretty cool nonetheless. I also remembered that the for the basil oil I made at last year's Heartland Gathering, Edsel's (?) VitaMix absolutely pulverized the basil; my KA blender hadn't been quite as efficient at the task. I'm looking forward to smoothies, sorbets, and quick soups. I'm also curious how peanut butter will turn out. My KA food processor does a credible job, but I have a feeling this'll be better.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

:blink: Sigh. eGullet has taught me about several kitchen tools, which I may not truly need but desire nonetheless.

THEN, someone finds a great price on these items -- first Thermapens, now this. Thanks -- I guess!

Egullet has to be the most expensive website I visit. I read through the blender thread that FatGuy recommended and came to the realization that in addition to Modernist Cuisine, Artistre starter set, pressure cooker and induction cooktop, my cooking life would not be complete without a BlendTec! I love this place :cool:

I spoke to a manager at Costco today about the Blendtec. She said they absolutely will take it back for any reason, including if it's because you found a better deal. The only restriction is for a Blendtec unit they need the base, pitcher, lid, book and DVD. I didn't have the book and DVD in the car, so I'll have to do the return next time I go in, but I've ordered the refurb unit since the special ends tomorrow.