• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marco Pierre White on Jamie Oliver

jakey

Just read that marco pierre white doesn't think that jaime oliver is a "real" chef because he hasn't earned any michelen stars. I think it's crap, but maybe I'm wrong. What does is it take to be a "chef"?

Since the Michelin Guide is partisan and political and far from transparent as to just how the stars are awarded, I'd say it's an absurd way to determine who's a "real" chef. While I have great respect for the chefs of most of the Michelin starred restaurants, the whole thing is a beauty contest IMOHO.

FWIW, I have recently upgraded my TV reception to get, among others, the cooking channel. And I've been watching Jamie Oliver for the past few weeks and am truly impressed with his off hand manner and creative assembly of very appetizing foods. I believe that he is the best "chef" on the tube right now.

I'm getting sick of the obsession with Michelin, especially in the UK media. It's a sodding guide book, an established and (at least historically) respected one, but nothing more than that.

Every up and coming chef, every wannabe cooking show entrant aim is a michelin star or two it seems. Not to cook good food, not to run a succesful business and not to have happy customers.

Anyway, rant one over...

So the heart of MPW's argument is, be a respected chef, then whore yourself out on TV is ok (And don't get me started on his Knorr stock cube promotional activities) but getting a break on TV while at the start of your career and then open restaurants is bad?

Rubbish.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting sick of the obsession with Michelin, especially in the UK media. It's a sodding guide book, an established and (at least historically) respected one, but nothing more than that.

Here here! It is just a sodding guidebook (Interesting phrase, that. Makes the mind wander a bit) and a fairly arbitrary one at that. From what I remember reading of their methods, its hard to say that it is a rigorous evaluation.