• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating out late after midnight

From where I am (Hong Kong), it seems like a traditional thing for younger people to be seen out on the streets late at night past midnight eating full meals which are usually dinner type items. Now I have heard a lot of different things about how it's not healthy and all but I'd like to see what other people think and do in their parts of the world? For us, it is just, we are hungry and then we must eat...

Jade Shing!

It is nice to e-meet all of you ^_^

My Love of Kitchen Gear is a love of Kitchen Tools :)

I wish I lived in a city where anything was even OPEN after midnight: in these parts the vast majority of restaurants close at 11pm. If I want food after that I'm often in the position of enjoying Fourthmeal. I'd guess that any negative health consequences of eating late at night are dubious at best, but having not read the studies (or even heard of them) I can't say for sure, of course.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

In Los Angeles the clubs have the ever popular bacon wrapped hot dog carts, and the food trucks are around quite late. The 24 hour classics like Denny's have been picking up the after party folks forever. I am just guessing that the takers after midnight are not the older folks with GERD, but rather the cast iron stomachs of the youth.

I spent some time in Spain and decided they've got the latest late-night going-out culture I've ever seen. Even old folks are out arm-in-arm laughing and strolling along the sidewalks at 1am or so. Although they do seem to head in before the young ones go for churros y chocolate along about dawn.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I fondly remember a bar that was open until 2 AM, back in my days doing summer theater... One of the costumers also waitressed there. They did a GREAT steak sandwich... Not like a Philly steak, but a thinish-cut ribeye, thrown on the screaming hot flat top until just past raw, with a good char on the outside. Said steak was flopped onto a piece of garlic-buttered Texas Toast, so the juices would soak into the bread. Topped with grilled onions and mushrooms. It hit the spot often at 1 AM!

Those days are long gone... I can't imagine eating that in the wee-hours these days. :blink:

I miss eating out at night. My parents, aunts,uncles, cousins, kids etc. would often have a meal and drinks at 1am..sometimes even 3 am. We'd have Indian-style bread with curries, fried noodles, tandoori chicken, claypot lou shi fun and whatever else anyone wanted.

Where I am in The Netherlands, after clubbing, you either grab a kebab, fries and recently, there's this wok place (bad Chinese food in cardboard containers) which opens til about 3-4am on Friday & Saturday.

It's probably unhealthy but then again, if you live in Asia, you generally don't drink on a regular basis so that kinda evens that out, I guess! Here in NL, we probably go through 2-3 bottles a wine a week between the 2 of us (and that's excluding clubbing). I never drunk anything back home except at weddings (and even then, not much) or when out with friends (also never to the dying puking terrible hangover stage).

Nyonya in The Netherlands

My Blog- Deliciously Lekker

Buenos Aires does midnight eating like nowhere else I've been to. We arrived late and thought we'd try and get something to eat at around 10:30pm. We assumed the half empty asado restaurant was winding down, although oddly a lot of families with small (under 7) children. When we left at around midnight there were queues outside to get in. Mendoza seems pretty similar. For several reasons, including food, the country I'd most like to revisit.