• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goose eggs

Chufi

A friend gave me 2 fresh goose eggs.

I suppose I could just turn them into a giant omelet, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with these and has some tips on what to do with them? Do they taste any different from chicken eggs (and if yes, is that a good thing?)

Thanks!

I bought one at the market last year mostly for the shell. I dremelled a hole in each end and blew out the innards largely intact and poached it. The yolk is so large it was borderline off-putting, but still very tasty. I painted the shell and gave it to my wife for Christmas.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Yeah I have to say that while I love, love eggs, the idea of an egg this size is slightly off putting to me as well. I wonder why?

I think I will go the scrambling route. Will report back.

Edited by Chufi (log)

If they are like duck eggs they are richer tasting. When we had them in the yard we generally "thinned" the taste with some fresh chicken eggs. Eager to see how you treat them.

I'd scramble them with butter or maybe a bit of truffle oil, sprinkle some parsley and/or chives on and eat with buttered toast. Maybe a touch of nutmeg or smoked paprika too.

Haven't had one in decades though.

jealous!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog