• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farewell to the Italian Food Center

Fat Guy

I was walking along Grand Street yesterday when I noticed that the Italian Food Center was closed up.

italianfoodcenter.jpg

I remember 10-15 years ago the Italian Food Center was an amazing deli-grocery. The last time I checked in, maybe 2-3 years ago, it had become more of a mediocre-looking pizzeria. Now, it's gone. Makes me a little sad.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That's too bad. I seem to recall that when I worked in that neighborhood around 2005, it was still a decent Italian grocery, but that they didn't have too much that couldn't be had elsewhere. Probably hard to survive that way in a bad economy.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 10 months later...

I guess it wasn't fine. And calling it an "amazing deli-grocery" might be a bit of hyperbole, in my opinion.

The expansion of DiPalo's, Eataly, Whole Foods, Fromaggio Essex, Faicco's, and a number of other places where basically anything you could get at the Italian Food Center can be had, albeit in a nicer, cleaner environment, have probably all led to its demise.

A couple of years worth of construction along Grand St. couldn't have helped either.

It's closure doesn't bring me to tears, however; I never liked the joint.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?