• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Care for some wood with your Filet O' Fish?

Toliver

I frequently use Kraft grated Parm, and it contains, and has contained cellulose for many years that I know of. I grew up with it. For goodness sake, you got a little green can of it in the Chef Boyardee pizza kit boxes my mother used to doctor up for us. So it's a comfort food for me. I don't buy store brands because they don't taste the same. I also don't buy the Kraft shredded in the can, because I can usually buy something cheaper in a solid piece and shred it myself and it tastes better.

I like the pale straw-colored, not too strong smelling, not too crumbly or dry ones when I buy good parm for shredding myself, but Kraft grated will always live in my fridge, just as it did my mom's. The cellulose anti-caking component hasn't had any ill effects yet. I can certainly see limiting the amount of cellulose by law, and maybe that's why I don't like the store brands I've tried to save money with.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

an article on the web had this to say :

""   Cellulose may not be that safe, either. Healthy food activist Food Babe explains that cellulose is actually indigestible by humans and has no caloric value. "The food industry tricks consumers who eat foods with a high cellulose content to feel full physically and psychologically without having consumed many calories."  ""

nothing at all logical about the above statement.

still  the labels should tell the truth.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

an article on the web had this to say :

""   Cellulose may not be that safe, either. Healthy food activist Food Babe explains that cellulose is actually indigestible by humans and has no caloric value. "The food industry tricks consumers who eat foods with a high cellulose content to feel full physically and psychologically without having consumed many calories."  ""

nothing at all logical about the above statement.

still  the labels should tell the truth.

rotuts, I agree with both of your points above.

Food Babe must be the victim of a hyperactive metabolism to have to worry about being satiated before consuming adequate calories. I wish.

I'm not that lucky and frequently buy Nature's Own White Wheat brand when I want a soft white sandwich bread or hot dog/hamburger rolls. It contains cellulose. It also has only 110 calories for 2 slices of bread, and has more calcium and less calories than an 8 oz. glass of 2% milk. Plus 14% daily recommended fiber allowance, 6g protein and 15% of iron. Tastes better than many supermarket breads too, with great texture for a high fiber bread.

Until I get different information, cellulose is the perfect food additive, at least for me.

I do want to be informed truthfully when it is in something I'm buying.

> ^ . . ^ <

OMG we routinely eat DEAD animals and we eat CINNAMON which IS in fact TREE BARK, and MAPLE SYRUP which oozes out of trees.

Why are people squeamish about cellulose?

Years ago there was a bread made of wood pulp, it was delicious and low carb, ppl were outraged and got it tossed off the market

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/16/garden/wood-pulp-as-fiber-in-bread.html

Oy!

Edited by GlorifiedRice
Adding link (log)
  • Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

My main issue with Kraft "Parmesan" cheese is not the cellulose but that it tasted horrible and has nothing to do with Parmesan cheese. The production of the "Parmesan cheese" at Kraft has nothing to do with the production of real Parmesan cheese and in Europe Kraft is actually not allowed to sell their green boxes of grates "cheese product" with Parmesan mentioned anywhere on the box

I think part of this issue and the ensuing uproar is that it's being used as a filler. It's padding the product. They end up putting less "cheese" in their products so their costs go down and profits go up and it's the consumer who ends up getting screwed.

edited to add:

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Walmart for selling "100% Parmesan Cheese" that was up to 10% cellulose:

"Walmart Sued for Selling Parmesan Cheese Containing Wood Pulp"

A class-action lawsuit has been filed against the retail giant for selling cans of "100 percent" grated parm that tests showed to actually contain up to 10 percent cellulose, reports Bloomberg.

There's a link at the bottom of the article that leads to scans of the actual filed court papers.

Looking at the label in the picture in that article of the contested product, one could quibble, though, that of the cheese used in the product above that that cheese could have been 100% Parmesan cheese. It just also happens to have other ingredients along with it in the container (meaning the cellulose, etc).

Hey, I'm just sayin'...;)

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If you think cellulose is only in McDonalds foods, you are sadly mistaken.
It's how companies make "low fat" foods by replacing some of the food with cellulose which is wood fiber and safe to eat, it just doesn't digest.
Take a look at all the foods its in.
http://naturalsociety.com/15-companies-w...
Its also not NEW news...this first link I added is from 2011, this next link from last year.
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/n...
Think about this, the cellulose in wood is no different than the cellulose in any high fiber food which is also indigestible but not dangerous.

8 hours ago, Print said:

If you think cellulose is only in McDonalds foods, you are sadly mistaken.

I didn't say it was. They were mentioned specifically because they're ubiquitous and the Filet O'Fish was a popular menu item and a supposed known entity. It was the cellulose in a fish sandwich that was a surprise, to me at least.

Its also not NEW news... 

Why does the "when" matter? The original post was meant to inform, enlighten and spur on a discussion on and in this forum. Goal successfully met.;)

By the way, the proverbial fiddler's bill has finally come due (click here for the article) for a company who used too much cellulose and deceived the public/government. 

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

this isn't that relevant, but before I go down to the Wine Cellar  ( sometimes known as the basement

to review Today's Selection for M.R.,  [Ed: its always the same, TJ's chardonay from Chile  $ 3.49   no case discount )

Celery has Cellulose.  maybe that's why I find it so Ucky.