• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is Leaf Croquant?

minas6907

Hello everyone.

In a few of my books, I have recipes for leaf croquant, and for the life of me, I cant seem to find a picture of it. So, it appears to be a hard candy with a filling. One google search yielded a recipe (which is the exact same one in Chocolates and Confections) for leaf croquant, and it called it butterfingers. Is the butter fingers candy a leaf croquant? I normally dont have trouble finding out what specific candies look like, a simple google image search solves that quickly, but when I do an image search, I just get a whole bunch of pictures of very different types of food and desserts. Can anyone tell me what this candy is? Also, anyone have a picture of what it should look like? This is not something I'd make, it apparently needs a heated slab to keep the caramel warm (which I presently and forever will lack in my home kitchen). Thanks!

That sure does look like a butterfinger! I also found this EG post (which didnt come up in the forums search function)

Reply from lebowits

"The confection "center" of a Butterfinger is actually a "laminated" product in the style of croissant dough. Greweling has a good formula and description of the technique on p.198 for "leaf croquant". It's not the easiest technique as you need to keep the "dough" warm enough to roll and fold seveal times in order to get the proper lamination. It's definitely delicious and if you have the space, worth the effort."

• 10 years later...
On 3/9/2011 at 5:36 PM, Darienne said:

Fooling around in the advanced Google and found this definitionand photo by Chantal Cody in The Chocolate Companion.

@Darienne and @minas6907, would either of you still have access to Cody's photo and description? The link no longer works, and I'm interested in seeing what the confection looks like.

I was able to find this image, but it's difficult to see the candy at this camera angle. The candy is called "feuillete amande" or "almond leaf" The description says it's a "crispy almond puff pastry" (courtesy of Google translate). I'm very curious about the origins of laminated candy.

Edited by no10 (log)
  • Sad 1