• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roux in the Oven

Chris Hennes

I just did this last night and it turned out great. Actually made the roux the night before and kept it in the fridge until I made it. Cup of flour and a cup of oil in a cast iron skillet, 2 hours in a 350F oven. Didn't stir it once other than to incorporate everything. Was darker than I ever got on the stovetop. Delicious. I see a lot more gumbo in my future. How long would this keep in the fridge?

This is what I did as well.

Excellent results!

I'm so glad I saw this thread! I had andouille languishing in the freezer for ages, but kept putting off making gumbo, daunted by the lengthy hands-on time between prep and roux.

Today, I finally made chicken and andouille gumbo, using the oven roux method (1/2 cup each oil and flour, in a 5 qt. dutch oven, uncovered, 350 degree oven, 1 1/4 hours, whisking now and then). While the roux was cooking, I prepped veg, meats, seasonings, etc. I pulled the roux from the oven when it was medium-dark brown, and took John Besh's advice to add the onion to the roux before all the other ingredients, and cook it for a few minutes on its own. By the time I'd done that, the roux was gorgeously dark. Briefly turned chicken pieces in the roux, then added the other veg, herbs, stock, etc., and simmered.

Wow. I'd been a little intimidated by the whole thing, but this came out better than the gumbo I fell in love with when I used to visit SW LA frequently -- I wouldn't have thought it possible. I was eating alone and making Mmmmmmm sounds out loud. This oven roux method is amazing -- cuts off half or more of the hands-on cooking time, and the results are more than delicious.

• 4 weeks later...