• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's On Sale?

Burnin' It

I am curious what items most often go on sale in your local supermarket? I am mostly interested in animal protein that can be had for less than $2 per pound, but would like to hear about anything that hits the sales flyers every other week.

Here in Indianapolis, it's pork loin, frozen chicken breasts, and ground beef. I did see a sale on chicken livers the other day, which shocked me, but not a normal thing.

For $1.99? On sale only, of course. Chicken leg quarters ($.99 Ed says), pork butt with bone in, lean ground beef, inside round roast, beef liver ($1.25)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My supermarket's normal price for pork shoulder is around $1.29 a pound; on sale, less than $1.

Whole body chicken can often be found for $1.59 a pound and once in a while less than a buck a pound - not kosher, or Bell & Evans, mind you, but chicken nonetheless.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Me too, on the whole chicken, weinoo. We've gotten 59 cents a pound at times.

Once in a while, right after St. Patty's Day, corned beef roasts will go on sale for pretty cheap.

Oh, and eggs around Easter are always a great buy...except I sure like my 1.00/dozen eggs that I get from the chicken lady down the road better.

Apart from that, it seems like Campbell's soups are always on sale like 10 cans for $10. And cake mixes the same way.

Wow, beef liver. I haven't seen a beef liver in a supermarket in years.

We have beef liver all the time and it's often on sale. Our dogs eat it. DH won't touch it. Occasionally we have calves liver although I don't buy it even for us. The concept still bothers me.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I feel fortunate to live in a part of the country where seafood prices often dip below meat prices! Crawfish routinely go for less than $2/lb (live) as the weather warms. And fresh, never frozen, wild caught shrimp were just $3.49/lb. My local supermarket chain advertised pork spareribs, whole hams, pork sirloin roasts and chicken parts at less than $2/lb this week. Split chickens were just $1.29/lb. So am I eating any of that stuff? No--it's a vegetarian week for me after Mardi Gras overindulgence.

Right now, corned beef brisket ($1.68/lb), assorted chicken parts ($1.69/lb for drumsticks, breasts, thighs), and pork chops (okay, so they're $2.09/lb but I figured that was close enough!).

I'm also known to make "after 8" visits to the store to pick up meat that's about to expire...ours will go as low as 2/3 off, and I've gotten steaks and the outlandishly expensive prepared roulades for quite cheap.

This week at Western Beef we have rib-end pork chops for $1.58 per pound and boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.48 per pound. Drumsticks are 99 cents per pound and thighs with drumsticks are $1.19 per pound. Ground turkey is $1.39 per pound.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Remember to check your local ethnic (Mexican/Asian/etc) markets, too. They will often have meat on sale at a much better price than the chain grocery stores.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It looks like the clucker wins, followed by the pork shoulder. I'm gonna concentrate on making recipes for those.

You are lucky to have that seafood. Indiana is not the place for fresh fish =(

+1 the idea of shopping ethnic stores. I have also found I can get organ meats supermarkets don't carry. Mmmm... tongue.

Thanks for the info.