• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best commonly available sausage in the UK

I am fed up with not knowing what kind of sausages I like. More than half of all sausage based meals are spoilt by not liking the random sausage I have picked out on no basis whatsoever. I think that maybe I don't like them too meaty, and I suspect that I might actually prefer a beef sausage, but I'm just not sure. So I'm starting project sausage to sort this out - try a few, take note if I like them, and then buy sausages to my taste in future. So, what are good sausages to try, branded, or from major supermarkets? Hope you have a favourite that you can share,

Catherine

Oh, now this could be a GREAT thread. :smile:

Now I have to say that I'm pretty much a traditionalist here. So, that means pork and with no "fancy" flavourings. Generally speaking that is - I'm quite partial to a Sainsbury "Sicilian" on a panino with fried peppers and onions.

And, as for traditional, I tend to buy at the farmers market so they won't be instantly available if you're not around North Cheshire.

However, IMO, the best branded all-round "breakfast" type sausage I know that's easily available at the supermarket is the Porkinson Banger.

By mail order (and the farmers market at Ashton under Lyne) is the Cumberland sausage from Border County Foods. Wonderful. Good porky flavour, very peppery. http://www.cumberland-sausage.net/cumberland_sausage.htm

John Hartley

We live in a fine time for sausage fans.

Most of the supermarket 'premium' own brands are pretty good to be honest these days.

Brand wise, I'd second the Porkinson recommendation. Musk's are also pretty good, as are the duchy originals ones. The 'Debbie and Andrews' ones are good in things like sausage and lentil casseroles, or for skinning and cooking with - they are 97% meat. A pure or almost pure meat sausage isn't always what you want on your full english - there is a place for the british banger despite what the Europeans might say!

Not very useful unless you are local (Although I believe you can mail order now) but my local butcher http://www.uptonsbutchers.co.uk/ does a fine sausage too!

Edited by Carlovski (log)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Many thanks for these. Although damn your eyes Carlovski for introducing the "different sausages for different purposes" theme which could make the whole project doubly complicated! Turns out that Border County Foods come to my local Farmer's market too, so my initial list is going to be their Cumberland, Porkinsons and Duchy Originals. Then I have to try a higher meat sausage in a casseroling type situation to see if I agree that this trumps a breakfast sausage for that purpose. I have no "sausage a day for a year" timetable in mind, but I will try to report back in time.

Catherine

I'd be interested in reading your results over the coming weeks (or days, depending upon the enthusiasm with which you enter into project sausage) Catherine!

I'll also usually get sausages from a local farm, usually Tablehurst or Osney Lodge. In fact Tablehurst, a community owned farm in my village, has just won best butcher in the Sussex Food and Drink Awards.

I am almost as happy with a Sainsbury's taste the difference though. Would a comparison of the finer supermarket brands be in scope for project sausage?

"El Gauchito," a local (for me) brand of Argentine and Spanish chorizos, chistorra, longaniza, etc. Decent and inexpensive.

Probably not available to most of you guys but hey, it's what's in my supermarket.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I like this thread. It appeals to my "blokey" side, and having said that, its most encouraging to have the ladies actively involved too. Bangers just seem to me to be a man sort of thing, perhaps because my wife has never liked them.

I am almost as happy with a Sainsbury's taste the difference though. Would a comparison of the finer supermarket brands be in scope for project sausage?

As I have no one of note making good sausages locally, I too would like some tips on supermarket offerings. The couple of Sainsbury's taste the difference ones that I tried were good, then I tried another, and unfortunately some gristle had found its way in and put me off a bit.

Will take a closer inspection of what is on offer at Sainsbury's later and may do a taste test at some time.

What are Waitrose's like?

Just wish that I could persuade my wife to give them a go, I could just eat bangers and fluffy mash with a rich caramelised onion gravy.

Yum, Yum.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

The Waitrose Organic (or it may just be Free Range) is none too shabby, David. The sort you want alongside a couple of fried eggs and in your part of the world,presumably, an oatcake.

John Hartley

The Waitrose Organic (or it may just be Free Range) is none too shabby, David. The sort you want alongside a couple of fried eggs and in your part of the world,presumably, an oatcake.

Your right about an oatcake :smile: Just had my first duck egg of the year, that will go down a treat.

I,m down to only three ducks and a drake now. The fox killed six in one go as he (she) broke into their pen during the day. :sad:

I will try the Waitrose Organic next time.

Just back from Sainsbury's and I bought two "Taste the Difference" pre packed ones,Ultimate outdoor bred Pork, (97% pork) and Fresh herb Pork sausages. (91% pork)

As I passed the butchery department I noticed they had another selection of three, and the very friendly and helpful butcher (who always looks after me) wholeheartedly recommended them. I bought a couple of breakfast size portions of Pork chipolatas, his favourite, and some Outdoor reared premium Pork sausages, his next favourite.

Not sure when I will get around to trying this lot out as my wife has decided what we are eating tonight. Still I shall return my verdict asap.

@d_goodfellow1

Just tried the Pork chipolatas, as recommended by the butcher. Not bad, decent porky flavour. I found them slightly dry-ish, perhaps because they are the skinny variety of sausage and don't hold as much moisture (fat).

Porkinsons are more widely available than I thought. Will give them ago too.

@d_goodfellow1

Personally, i don't buy sausages unless the pork is organic or, at the least, outdoor bred. 70% of British pork, and nearly 100% of imported, is from pigs reared indoors in intensive conditions, comparable to battery chicken farming. I just don't want anything to do with that system.

Just tried the Sainsbury's Outdoor reared premium Pork sausages, from the butchery department. Two plump bangers, served on toast, with the fabulous, rich, home reared duck egg. Some chopped tomato on the side compleats the line up.

I can recommend these.

Juicy, porky, a good breakfast eat whilst watching the excellent Saturday Kitchen

@d_goodfellow1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,I think I've tried many of the own branded premium range sausages from nearly all of the supermarkets but mainly Waitrose, Tesco & Sainsbury's (phew) and personally I found the Sainsbury's TTD range outdoor chipolata/sausage (not cumberland)to be my favorite. It has the highest % of meat content I've ever found in a mass produced banger and for me it has just the right level of seasoning and flavouring. It's high meat and negligible rusk composition means it's quite easy to overcook and dry out, other than that it's my perfect banger and I go back to it time after time. The Toulouse in this range variety is too shabby either, it's not real Toulouse of course so they call it "Toulouse inspired" but again it's easy to dry out this meaty garlicky specimen.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Sausages_And_Burgers/Sainsburys_Taste_the_Difference_Outdoor_Bred_Pork_Chipolata_12_per_pack_400g.html

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Sausages_And_Burgers/Sainsburys_Taste_the_Difference_Outdoor_Bred_Pork_Sausages_6_per_pack_400g.html

I will have to try the butcher department.

Edited by antdad (log)