• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teal

Scottf

Okay, Scott, I'll bite. What is different about teal that won't let you use any recipe you'd normally use for wild duck? Thinking back on it, when I've been given a duck by hunting friends, I've never bothered to ask what kind of duck it was! :huh: I have taken into consideration drake or hen, old or young.

eGullet member #80.

Standard small gamebird issues.

Basic approach shove it in a hot oven for a few minutes.

The problem: The breast cooks to done & dry before the legs are cooked through.

Solutions:

ignore legs they're little - but they are tasty.

Roast till the breast is done - carve breasts off & then finish legs separately - in oven or sauced.

Recently had teal with the breast done in wellington with the legs cooked separately. This worked well but a faff for a casual cook (such as myself).

Wilma squawks no more

Okay, Scott, I'll bite.  What is different about teal that won't let you use any recipe you'd normally use for wild duck?  Thinking back on it, when I've been given a duck by hunting friends, I've never bothered to ask what kind of duck it was!  :huh:  I have taken into consideration drake or hen, old or young.

MP - I'm replying instead of Scott - as I am cooking them!

Teal are much smaller than duck, they are about the size of a quail - so I am going to take Gavin's advice, and I am am going to sharp roast the body and confit the legs in goose fat.

I'll get back to you on the results :smile::smile::smile:

Thank you both

Teal are indeed tiny. Nigella Lawson, when she was a proper journalist rather than an international sex goddess, described the experience of eating teal for the first time as like eating little babies ( :blink: ).

Anyway, delicate things that they are, if you don't want to do the quick, rare roast, you could try:

Poaching: either in wine or milk, with whatever seasonings, herbs, or mirepoix you fancy. If you want the birds to have a bit of colour, quickly sear them all over first in some hot oil. Poach them gently, because they'll soon be done.

Salmis: Part roast in a hot oven, but before they're done, take them out, let them cool, cut off the breasts and legs. Have a nice red wine sauce simmering in a pan (maybe with mushrooms?), then finish the teal pieces in the sauce. You can start off the legs first, then add the breasts just before the end, thus getting your timing right. Plate the teal, then bubble the liquid down for a good pan sauce.

Fillet the breast out and find some other use for the legs. Season the breasts and wrap bacon around them, securing with a toothpick. Grill over coals till medium-rare, but not past medium. Also good for doves.

Stop Family Violence

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Eventually Scott prepered the (delicious) teal in the following way;

Infused some warmed butter with garlic, bay and thyme, let that set for 1 hour. Set aside.

Spatchcock the two teal and bring an oven proof skillet to a high heat on the hob. Brush the teal all over with the infused butter and place in the hot skillet. Brown on a hot heat for a couple of minutes, then place in a hot oven (gas mark 7) for 8 mins. Take out and rest for 5 mins. Serve.

Scott served ours with celeriac and potato mash with butter braised cabbage.

The teal was great, tasting (to me) like a pigeon/duck/venison combination - so er, quite gamey :smile:

Cheers Hubby for a jubbly meal :raz::raz::raz: