• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jenn-Air electric downdraft cooktop

Dejah

This is my third Jenn-Air cooktop. The house (built in 1982)came with one and I've just replaced it last Christmas. I wish they still made the all stainless steel one - so much easier to clean!

My main problem is the fan in the downdraft. It shuts off after it's been running for maybe half an hour - even when I'm not finished grilling! So, it can become smoky.

Is this normal? I can't seem to find out from the dealer, or supplier. My other one also did the same, but it was running on a "fuse" box. I thought maybe with the direct hook up to the panel that I wouldn't have this problem.

Anyone with insight on this problem?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Definitely not normal. I have the same unit as your old one.

It sounds like you may have either blocked, or undersized, venting to the outside. That would cause the blower motor to overheat and shut down.

I remember when we installed the stove, the directions were very specific about the length of the run, number of turns, and size of the vent pipe and the outside damper/cover.

Frank

Thanks, Frank!

You'd think the installers (from the supplier) would know what is required. When they were here, they checked the outside vent, the length of venting, turns, etc. I'll go back to them to see what can be done.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com