• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need to buy a stockpot

Bruschetta

My trusty Farberware stockpot has gone to the big kitchen cabinet in the sky. There was a vegetable stock, there was the doorbell, there was a long conversation, and....well, let us say my stockpot is no more.

So I need a new stockpot, but I'm baffled by all the differences in materials. It should be 8 quarts, not tend to stick on the bottom like some do, and have a tight fitting lid, preferably glass. It should not require a second mortgage or sending the 7 year old out to panhandle.

Can anybody make a suggestion?

Elizabeth Cullen Dunn

"Sex is good, but not as good as fresh, sweet corn." ~Garrison Keillor

I have seen either the All Clad or Le Creuset 8 qt. stock pot on sale for about $100 at either SurLaTable.com or Chefs.com. Comes in different colors,

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

Look for 18/10 stainless construction and a heavy bottom. Clad will expensive, most will have a plate welded onto the bottom. Glass lid should be irrelevant, as condensation prevents you from seeing inside it anyway.

What you are looking for can be found, but it doesn't have a brand name. I did a big search for mine and ended up with an excellent stock pot, 10 quart with volume marker up the inside and a very heavy bottom that can be used to saute ingredients before adding liquid.

But don't expect to find it with a brand on it. It doesn't exist. I tried. I wish I could tell you the name of mine but it doesn't have a name!

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I have gotten the Tramontina brand ones at Costco and/or Target, and I've been happy with them. A while back, Costco had an 8-qt. combo with a steamer and a strainer for not much money, but I don't think they have it any longer. Tramontina 8-qt. multicooker This is a bit more than I paid, I believe, but I've been really happy with it. If all you want for size is an 8-qt., then this will work well.

My sympathies on the recently deceased pot.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I like and use VOLLRATH SS Stockpots. I have a 12 AND 24 QT VOLLRATH AND The12 qt ALL CLAD Pot that comes with a sort of colander for a hundred bucks. It is not near as consistent as the Vollraths.

VollRath 12 qt should be about $100 with cover and they do have a 7.5 qt.

They are standard dimensions so you can likely buy any lid you like-I agree with the comment above about the condensation.

Robert

Seattle

I second the TJ Maxx suggestion. IIRC, several years ago I got my Dansk there for not much $$, complete with steamer, pasta insert, and glass lid. It's made in China, but it has a sandwich bottom so it works fine for stock.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I like and use VOLLRATH SS Stockpots. I have a 12 AND 24 QT VOLLRATH AND The12 qt ALL CLAD Pot that comes with a sort of colander for a hundred bucks. It is not near as consistent as the Vollraths.

VollRath 12 qt should be about $100 with cover and they do have a 7.5 qt.

They are standard dimensions so you can likely buy any lid you like-I agree with the comment above about the condensation.

Robert is right!

For quality, durability, and bang for your buck.....Vollrath is king.

I did a lot of shopping around and chose the Never Burn Stockpot. The name is gimmicky but the pot is exceptional -- and true to its name.

The key selling point for me is that it's very well insulated and so requires less heat than a regular stockpot; and even after taking it off the stove, if you cover it, it will keep the heat most of the day.

It's also really easy to clean.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/24703-the-never-burn-sauce-pot.aspx

I got mine from Chef's online catalogue.

I did a lot of shopping around and chose the Never Burn Stockpot. The name is gimmicky but the pot is exceptional -- and true to its name.

The key selling point for me is that it's very well insulated and so requires less heat than a regular stockpot; and even after taking it off the stove, if you cover it, it will keep the heat most of the day.

It's also really easy to clean.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/24703-the-never-burn-sauce-pot.aspx

I got mine from Chef's online catalogue.

Wow - lucky you. I have been watching for the Paulit cookware stockpot on Amazon - they don't have it yet. Glad to hear that it is living up to the hype. Still don't think that I can justify spending those $ for it yet. But for someone that always has lots of things going at a time, the thought of not having to watch the stockpot is just so appealing - then I can focus on toasting the nuts without burning them instead :raz: .

Macy's online has a sale (2-day?) on a Calphalon Contemporary stainless 8-qt multi-pot for $99.99, with an extra 20% off with code VIP20 (good only until Sunday). If you buy something else to bring the total to $99 or more, shipping is free.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

SurLaTable.com has the 8qt. Le Creuset Stock Pot which is normally $75 on sale for $55. Got the e-mail announcing the sale today.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

Hi: I was at Bargreen Ellingson over the weekend and saw for the first time the Eneron "Turbo" aluminum stockpots. They have what can only be described as an electronics-style heatsink fin array on the bottoms. PG&E has reportedly tested these, and they are allegedly 29% more energy efficient (on gas). Not particularly expensive, either. Don't know if there's an 8Q--that's kinda small.

Volrath is indeed great stuff but she can just get an All-Clad stockpot if she's going to pay that much... My Volrath 10qt brazier was well over $250 and another $45 for the lid. It's built like a tank and looks like one too, but with that said, I don't think they're made to the same quality control as All-Clad. I've had 2 lids sent and both wobbled on the brazier. I'm guessing a wobbly lid doesn't matter for a restaurant but it was a little irritating after spending so much. It sears better than any pan I own, all-clad included.