• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Baguettes in SF

You could try Rhea's Deli on Valencia. I've never been there but it's in a market with a variety of Asian food products and apparently they make a Korean sandwich that's very good. If you are hanging out in the Mission, you might brave the line at Tartine and see if they have some type of French style loaf that would work for you. And of course then you could get a croissant or the bread pudding, both of which are out of this world.

I make Banh mi frequently. I'm pretty happy using Acme Rustic baguettes for mine; a bit crunchier than a traditional Viet roll, but really, one of the best baguettes in the Bay Area, I think.

You can get the mini baguettes at Lee's Sandwiches on Larkin St (cross street, Ellis), but the mini baguettes usually come out of the oven after 9am. Sometimes later They also have the regular sized baguettes, if that is what you are looking for. Also, in the Mission, many Mexican panaderias have mini rolls that are exactly like the mini baguettes. Pillowy soft in the middle, with a crusty, yet not hard, crust. There are so many in the Mission that I can't really pinpoint one.

Edited by Eat.Choui (log)