• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"America's Next Great Restaurant"

jsmeeker

If I were Jamawn Woods, I'd be royally pissed. You would think they would have given at least one of the restaurants a full year to make it. Pulling the plug after only a few months is ridiculous. Did the investors really think the restaurant could succeed by just riding the wave of publicity from the television show?

If the food and/or the price point is bad, no amount of publicity will save the restaurant. They really should have given it more time.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

According to Huffington Post, Mr Woods is opening his version of Soul Daddy in Detroit. His way. Without the "experts" PC insistence for "healthy" soul food.

What a joke the "expert" panel spending "their own money" to back a restaurant concept turned out to be.

Good luck and great success, Jamawn.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The new "concept" from Chipotle is called ShopHouse Kitchen. A piece recently ran on Huffington Post, and the following is written:

That said, the overall news coming out of Dupont Circle looks promising for national expansion -- promising enough, anyway, that stock analysts are already starting to include the idea of ShopHouse into their forecasts for Chipotle's revenues.

My question: Isn't this similar to one of the concepts that was originally on the show? Or perhaps a combo of 2 of the losing concepts?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My question: Isn't this similar to one of the concepts that was originally on the show? Or perhaps a combo of 2 of the losing concepts?

I don't think so. The concepts were sort of train wrecks, there was a lady who wanted to put things in woks, a lady who wanted healthy asian food... I don't recall anything in the way of a bhan-mi-n-friends idea.

I see Nate Appleman behind the counter in one of the photos. Don't see him mentioned though.