• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"America's Next Great Restaurant"

jsmeeker

The obnoxious guy was also a rascist. When he observed another guy (was it the chicken/waffle guy?) had wings, he commented that the black guy had wings 'cause you know they like that stuff. I'm paraphrasing from memory, but I remember being shocked that he said it and they aired it. Glad to see him booted.

im fine with fran leaving, its just wraps that concept is boring. i like melt works and i want to see more from chicken and waffles (dont want to see gumbo). i hate the taco guy, alex, hes such a scum bag.

I forgot Indian. I put Indian at 4:1.

No chance, he did not even get an indian chef!

I mean, seriously, indian cooking is pretty different and if they could not be bothered to grab an indian cook for the guy, he's already out and just being kept around to pretend that there is some choice going on. I think there is a choice, but right now its between about 3-4 ideas and the others are just in a line to go home.

The wraps lady had to go, she seriously considered dry, flavorless chicken 'a choice of the person ordering'. I don't think I want to go to a place where you have 'bad food' as a choice on the menu.

Hicks I was totally rooting for but I think I was confused like the judges. I was thinking small plates like brisket, gumbo, charcuterie, regional cheeses, alaskan smoked salmon bread. I think the competetors were thinking jello salads and crown roast of weiners...

I forgot Indian. I put Indian at 4:1.

No chance, he did not even get an indian chef!

I mean, seriously, indian cooking is pretty different and if they could not be bothered to grab an indian cook for the guy, he's already out and just being kept around to pretend that there is some choice going on. I think there is a choice, but right now its between about 3-4 ideas and the others are just in a line to go home.

The wraps lady had to go, she seriously considered dry, flavorless chicken 'a choice of the person ordering'. I don't think I want to go to a place where you have 'bad food' as a choice on the menu.

Hicks I was totally rooting for but I think I was confused like the judges. I was thinking small plates like brisket, gumbo, charcuterie, regional cheeses, alaskan smoked salmon bread. I think the competetors were thinking jello salads and crown roast of weiners...

It appears the contestants didn't have too much choice in the way of selecting chefs. They were provided with 10 to pick from. None of them had any experience with Indiam cuisine from what I can tell. Hard to place all of the blame on the that contestant.

I agree that it was odd for chicken and waffles guy to not make either. At the least, he could have fried up a mess of wings. The "Hicks" concept is one I totally don't understand. I just can't wrap my head around it. And speaking of warps..... It's just a sandwich with a different kind of bread, isn't it? I'm not sad to see that concept go (even if the contestant is a local Dallas person). Wok concept can work, I think. Of course, the whole "make your customer figure out how to combine ingredients" is a general idea that I have mixed feelings about. That can be a whole topic on its own.

The taco guy seems to be the only person actively trying to undermine other contestants. How far is he gonna get?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

The "Hicks" concept is one I totally don't understand. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I think I get it and it's a good concept. A couple ribs here, a couple wings there, etc, etc. I think in the challenge they got hung up on feeding 1,000 people with one day of prep and no established production line. So they went for things they could do in large pans and not small plates. They should've copped to that, but they survived nonetheless. Ultimately, I don't think they'll survive, as the concept belongs in a bar, but I would go to that bar.

But I continue to like this series. NBC did some good here.

It occurs to me that the taco-guy must be a plant for drama's sake. I mean, the idea is idiotic ("I could put your food, ina taco!" "Why would you?" *silence*) and his acting is way overplayed in every respect ('bad-boy' sign, insulting judges, insulting other competetors, 'knowing secretly' that someone once worked for G.R. etc).

Taco guy, in this age of T.V. why would you be such a shmuch?(sp) Little Wang hopefully was a transplant,, but why put your already operating places in jeopardy? Makes you really wonder about the show and the contestants.

Another concept gets the axe. Bye bye to the Wok girl. In other news, many concepts changed their names. Added slogans. Tweaked their menus. But issues remain. Hick's/Grill Billies have NO CLUE what they want. BBQ? no.. we'll grill now! And we'll have pulled pork. I come in there and want to know what I can get. Oh, cole slaw!

<sigh>

I think I am liking "Chicken and Waffles" guy even more now that he changed his name to Soul Daddy's to reflect the place being a soul food place. And very nice name change for the Indian place. It's great. Has a good direct connection to his life in India.

I noticed that they did not broadcast tasting taco-guy's food in the last episode.

I'm not really sure what this show is about anymore, other than a long Chipotle commercial. I've never been in a Chipotle, but I can't help but notice from the show that that it's an expensive-looking taqueria.

"Cafeteria-style" is so hard for them to say!

I noticed that they did not broadcast tasting taco-guy's food in the last episode.

I'm not really sure what this show is about anymore, other than a long Chipotle commercial. I've never been in a Chipotle, but I can't help but notice from the show that that it's an expensive-looking taqueria.

"Cafeteria-style" is so hard for them to say!

They showed taco guy. He has a new name, too. But it uses the same logo. They made comments about the taco not being well executed. I think they were eating what was supposed to be a crisp taco shell, but it turned all soggy.

Chipotle really isn't a a taqueria. It's more of a mission style burrito place. Is it "expensive"? Well, it's more expensive "hole in the wall" taqueria. But then again, it's targetting a different audience.

I'm glad to see Taco guy go, too.

Hillbilly hicks? They are annoying me, still. Starting to be like Taco guy with their snarky comments.

"Compleat", which is no longer "Compleat" and now something different? I dunno. Still seems like she doesn't have a lot of focus or direction or passion for it.

I still like the "Saucy Balls" guy. He seems to have real, genuine passion for is idea/concept. So does grilled cheese guy. But I am glad someone finally pointed out his sandwiches had too much stuff that wasn't cheese in them. Really, a lot of what we have seen so far are grilled sandwiches that had some cheeese in them.

Happy that Spice Coast got the most votes. Though I think given the crowd of supposed "food people", it probably doesn't reflect broader American tastes.

More interesting, but not really surprising, is the judges/"investors" talking about things like making sure your food can be eaten on the run. Or can be eaten before going to a long meeting at work.

More interesting, but not really surprising, is the judges/"investors" talking about things like making sure your food can be eaten on the run. Or can be eaten before going to a long meeting at work.

This episode was the final straw for me. Your notes (ok, now the customer's breath after eating is a factor...?) and a couple times this episode model-guy-judge said 'we don't want you to be the next Chiptole'. Huh? I thought that was the only frickin theme of the show?!

I do like to watch these shows and complain about silly things, it's part of the fun. I like Bobby Flay. But this show lost me as an investor :)

Sorry, but I found this the most tedious, banal show since, since...Guy Fieri.

Every concept seems tired. Hasn't the stir-fry thing been done before? Mongolian Barbecue, or something or other?

. . . .

Your mention of Mongolian barbecue reminded me that one Mongolian technique for preparing a whole sheep involves the use of a flamethrower: I'd say that this is clearly just waiting to happen, especially for anyone seeking a good, 'manly' concept for a restaurant chain (waitstaff could be sourced from Hooters/Spearmint Rhino).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Dipping sauces for grilled cheese sandwiches, Bobby? The investors must have side bets going - which restauratestants will bend to folly and adopt really dumb ideas from the investors.

Not to mention putting Spice Coast's food ON the lovely Indian bread.... :wacko:

Dipping sauces for grilled cheese sandwiches, Bobby? The investors must have side bets going - which restauratestants will bend to folly and adopt really dumb ideas from the investors.

Tomato soup?

Other than that, I got nothing :)

Tomato soup?

Other than that, I got nothing :)

Sriracha? That came from a thread here. Not sure if I'm ready to commit - although I am loving it on my scrambled eggs.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

This episode was the final straw for me. Your notes (ok, now the customer's breath after eating is a factor...?)...

See, to me, as a former patron of this type of operation, this was a valid critique.

When I was working, and was under such pressure I wasn't cooking at night, and didn't have time to do laundry, much less pack a lunch, I frequented these "dash in/get a hopefully semi-decent meal/dash out/scarf at desk before next crisis meeting" places A LOT.

"Breath factor" for the people IN the meeting with me (co-workers, clients, government agency inspectors) and "tummy comfort factors" (how much heartburn/gas/reflux did the meal give me) was HUGE in my decision on where to eat. Those that didn't meet the "pass" criteria on those 2 tests didn't get repeat business from me.

Trust me, there's nothing worse than sitting in an audit with FDA, who are reaming you over the coals over your autoclave validations while you've got garlic burps from your lunch. :wacko:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Back when a company in which I was involved was conducting military interrogation training experiences, a favorite tactic of one of the instructors when preparing for a harsh interrogation, was to eat a raw onion and chase it down with a glass of milk. Gave him incredibly rank breath which he used to his advantage during the interrogations that followed.

Just saying that the same may work when sitting down with an auditor in slightly more civil situations.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Back when a company in which I was involved was conducting military interrogation training experiences, a favorite tactic of one of the instructors when preparing for a harsh interrogation, was to eat a raw onion and chase it down with a glass of milk. Gave him incredibly rank breath which he used to his advantage during the interrogations that followed.

Just saying that the same may work when sitting down with an auditor in slightly more civil situations.

I *LIKE* it !!!!

A lot. :wink::cool::raz:

I'll pass it on to my colleagues who are still in the 'biz !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Not to mention putting Spice Coast's food ON the lovely Indian bread.... :wacko:

I like the Indian bread idea for people doing takeout. More portable and less messy.

i just want to say i hate steve ells. he says he doesnt want a another chipotle. all of his critiques make the contestants concpets more like chipotle. for example telling suds u should make it like a taco so u can eat it with ur hands.

Dang, we won't be able to see Bobby's suggestion for pesto dipping sauce for a grilled cheese sandwich come to pass.

I know...dipping sauces...whatta maroon. [/bugs Bunny]

Granted, the contestant never really made what his theme was supposed to be about...the melted grilled gooey cheesey sandwich...until this most recent episode.

But Bobby kept harping on the dipping sauces, week after week after week. I don't know about anyone else, but I would never use a dipping sauce for my grilled cheese sandwich. Call me an inflexible purist, if you will.

Now if you were talking about dipping sauces for my french fries, then I'll listen to ya (and they'd better be damn good fries, too).

But, Bobby, please...let the freakin' dipping sauces go. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Dang, we won't be able to see Bobby's suggestion for pesto dipping sauce for a grilled cheese sandwich come to pass.

I still don't understand Bobby's obsession with the dipping sauce for a grilled cheese sandwich. Is this the way he likes to eat them? Or any sandwich and not just a "French Dip"?? I guess it's all moot, now.