• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canberra bakeries

Since moving to Oz, I've been having a hard time finding good, crusty bread. The crusty breads I've come across tend to have a thin, soft crust. There is nothing wrong with that, I just prefer a thicker and harder crust. I haven't had any luck at local bakeries (chain and non-chain), supermarkets and at various markets.

Where can I find a proper loaf of baguette and such around here?

I second Silo bakery.

Also, try the Fyshwick markets. Here and is some select supermarkets, you can buy exceptional Italian bread packaged in white paper bags. The brand I used to prefer was Carbones. It's woodfired and ideal for bruschetta.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Epic Market (Saturdays) or Old Bus Depot Market (Sundays). There's a stand that sells very nice sour dough bread and good quality bagels. They have their own bakery and retail at markets.

Edited by debbster (log)

• 2 weeks later...

So, after some searching, I finally found a crusty bread that I like. It's Dom's woodfire Italian Bread. I've been getting it at EPIC by they are available at other places.

I have no idea that sourdough is so popular over here. Frankly, I'm not a sourdough fan. I know that's weird since I'm from San Francisco. :blink:

I haven't tried the bread at Silo but the pastries were very disappointing. Croissants, rhubarb puff pastry, caramel tart and lemon tart were average at best. Good thing I found other really excellent pastries at other shops....

• 2 weeks later...

The Flute in Fyshwick is an excellent patisserie... I digress, as this is a bread thread :)

I love pastries so that's good to know. Will have to remember to stop by next time we're in Fyshwick.