• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese "Small Dish" and Street Food Recipes

jamesglu

I recently left China after living for four years in Beijing. I now live in New Zealand, where I have a small restaurant/lodge, and where I prepare all sorts of international cuisines for our guests (and ourselves). One thing I find I miss a lot, and that I'd love to make here, are some of the "small eats" (小吃) we'd enjoy in China, some from the street and some from restaurants. I wonder if anyone has a source for these, or if they could share some recipes they have for these sorts of dishes. In particular, I'd like to make the following:

Hot and numbing peanuts (麻辣花生米)

Old vinegar peanuts (老陈化生病米)

Egg crepes (鸡蛋饼)

Smashed marinated cucumber (拍黄瓜)

Thanks!

A Google search for "smacked cucumber" turns up loads of recipes for 拍黄瓜.

A search for "Chinese egg pancakes" gets various 鸡蛋饼 recipes.

The top result of a Google search for "Old Vinegar Peanuts" is a recipe for the said item. http://www.beijingmadeeasy.com/chinese-recipes/chinese-old-vinegar-peanuts-recipe.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Yes, thanks, I'm aware that you can Google these dishes' names and come up with a raft of results. But what I was hoping for was for someone to say "this is the recipe that I use, and it works great for me" rather than relying on a sort of guessing game picking out a recipe at random from a Google search. And besides, I find that very often recipes that turn up in a Google search from unknown sites are of very questionable reliability, especially ones from Chinese sites, which have a recipe-writing style that leaves a lot to be desired.