• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TV Shows That Take (Took) Place In Bars and/or Restaurants

weinoo

I'm talking about shows which had as a main element a bar or a restaurant. I don't care (in any way shape or form) about Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

So I can recall a few right off the bat. There was Cheers (one of my favorites for its drunkard quotient). And Alice.

Any others?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Okay, Central Perk.

But my favorite was the coffee shop in "Frasier." Boy, did I ever want to be there.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Here's one from The Way Back machine....

"It's A Living" set in the restaurant at the top of the Bonaventure Hotel in downtown LA. All the main characters were waitresses there.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

A lot of episodes of Dragnet and Adam-12 take place in restaurants and bars. Most of them are merely shadowy prop sets, but a few are interesting like the early 1950's Dragnet episode that has much of the action take place in a health food luncheonette.

"Happy Days" and Arnold's Drive-In !!! Yo, Fonz.

ETA---Ooops, sorry. Didn't see Cass' post above. Tooooo tired.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Wings had a lunch counter in the lobby of the airport where most if the action took place.

There was also a show on that the lead actor got tomorrow's newspaper this morning. Then he had to 'right the wrong' in the next 40 minutes. A lot of the action took place in a bar/restaurant.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

Wings had a lunch counter in the lobby of the airport where most if the action took place.

There was also a show on that the lead actor got tomorrow's newspaper this morning. Then he had to 'right the wrong' in the next 40 minutes. A lot of the action took place in a bar/restaurant.

Early Edition. I always thought the show was Canadian because most shows with stupid plots are Canadian. . .

Beverly Hills 90210 had The Peach Pit.

Beavis and Butthead had Burger World.

Gilmore Girls had Luke's Diner

Saved by the Bell had The Max

Most shows targeted at teens have restaurants in them (Degrassi: The Next Generation has one, but I can't remember the name)

Edited by prasantrin (log)

So, after reading all these responses, I think that the only 4 TV shows which had as their overriding milieu a bar or a restaurant were Cheers, Frank's Place, It's a Living (two which I had never heard of, much less watched) and Alice.

All the other shows mentioned had scenes which may have taken place in a bar or a restaurant, but it wasn't the general theme of the show.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Shortlived sitcom: Two guys, a girl and a pizza place.

There is a tween show - Wizards of waverly place and a large portion of the show takes place in the families sandwich shop (I think?)

a quick search indicates Emeril had an extremely shortlived sitcom on NBC in 2001! Who knew?!

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Of course, Roseanne was a waitress at that dept store luncheonette and eventual owner of a loose meat sandwich place.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

The George Carlin Show took place almost exclusively in a bar -- at least the few episodes I watched before the series was canceled were.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe