• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-Japanese Haigamai (half-milled) rice

Dianabanana

Haigamai rice is rice that has had the bran removed but the germ left intact. I've only ever had it in Koshihikari rice, and am wondering if anyone has ever seen other rices, especially basmati or jasmine, produced in this manner.

Thank you, Helen. That turned up Red Coral Cargo Rice, which is normally sold semi-polished, and which I would love to try. Unfortunately, it seems that it's not currently sold in the U.S. I see a theme developing here!

There are a number of South Indian rices which are a pinkish colour and have some streaks of red on the outside. These are semi polished. Some are parboiled, and some are raw. Parboiled rice is boiled in the husk before processing. It is more nutritious, as parboiling drives the goodness from the bran into the core of the rice and makes parboiled rice more similar nutrition wise to brown rice. These rices very tasty and nutritious, and actually this kind of rice is my daily rice.

For a while I found rosematta rice, which is a beautiful semi-polished rice from Kerala, difficult to find, and I heard that it was not being exported. But when I went shopping yesterday there was plenty so I guess it is being exported again.

Edited by Jenni (log)

The brand of rice I buy is Kumarans. They do a number of South Indian rices, including boiled and raw red rices. I cannot remember whether the rosematta rice I saw yesterday was Kumarans, but it might have been. Otherwise it could have been Bristol Sweetmart (the place I shop at) own brand as they do package up a lot of rice and dal themselves.

Thanks, Helen. I've got an e-mail in to Purcell Mountain Farms.

Jenni, or anyone--can I cook the rose matta rice in my fuzzy logic rice cooker? I know it takes longer to cook than white rice, so would I put it on the brown rice setting? I've read some conflicting things online--seems that the traditional way is boiling it, but is that actually preferable to the rice cooker?