• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Pierogi (2011) - Rollin' the bon temps on the Left Co

Pierogi

Really enjoyed the blog Roberta. I found myself buying two sweet and two hot italian sausages today - now to wait for the price to come down on grapes!

Well, folks, it has been an absolute blast, and a true honor to share my week, my environs, my kitchen (and my now, less-fuzzy fuzz bombs :wub: ) with you. I want to thank all of you who contributed comments and questions, and most especially for all the kind words. All y'all made me laugh out loud more than once, and get tears in my eyes more than once.

Although in terms of complexity/volume the week was most certainly NOT typical, as johnnyd said in his comment, we do "amp up the cooking" when we're showing off, everything I did this week *is* very typical of what and how I cook.

What brings it full-circle I think, is that many of the things I did this week, bread, yeast dough sweets, homemade tortillas, homemade refried cooked from dried beans, cocktails outside of the Margarita/Cosmo/Martini model, etc., etc., etc. are projects or ideas I learned about, or got confident about, here on eG. I saw other members making tortillas, and thought....Hmmmm, *I* can do that ! I saw other members baking bread, and thought....hmmmmm, *I* can do that ! I read the discussion threads, and saw the failures, and made mental notes, and incorporated the fixes when I had the same failures. Or had enough "courage of my convictions" (thanks again for that line, Mrs. Child) to figure out a fix on my own. I am rather proud of the fact that, when I read the recipe for the King Cake, and saw the slashing instructions, I now have enough experience to know it would have been a flat-out b*tch to move onto a baking sheet in one piece. So I slashed on the parchment, and moved it on the paper. Worked like a charm. Wouldn't have done that 5 years ago, and I'd have had a mess, and been frustrated and thought...."see, I knew I can't bake". eG gives us all that confidence and experience, through our shared knowledge.

Now, I just have to figure out what to do with all the food still in my fridge ! I think it may be even MORE full than when I started, especially with the haul from 99 Ranch and the new CSA share. (I heard about CSAs for the first time on eG, too !). The Girls will be very happy to have their Mommydog back, I think they've been feeling a bit neglected. Tonight's dinner I think will be a burrito with the chicken left over from the curry, and some of the refrieds. Now if that isn't cross-cultural, I don't know what is !

Me, I'm going to studiously stay out of any major cooking projects for at least 2 or 3 days... :raz:. And I do sort of wonder if I'll remember how to cook without a camera in my hand, and without constantly thinking "I should get a shot of that" !

I leave you with one last adult beverage, which I am enjoying right as I type:

Martini 002.JPG

That'd be my signature drink...a dirty, not-too dry gin Martini, with *both* olives and cocktail onions (gotta get those 5 servings of veggies somehow :wink: ). Yes, I know "dirty" Martinis put me into the "cocktail heathen" category, but that's how I like 'em. Plus, I get points for making my Aviation yesterday with creme de violette !

I think they're going to keep this open until tomorrow morning, and since I'm on LaLaLand time, I'll check in later and answer any last questions/whatevers.

Thanks again, all. *YOU* made it worth the effort :wub:

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thanks so much for all your hard work this week! I really enjoyed it. You deserve an extra one of those yummy looking libations for taking us on such a great trip! :smile:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I have so enjoyed your recipes and photos. I wish we had CSAs in my area but sadly there are none, although I get a weekly bulletin from Local Harvest, there has been no new listings in my area so I have to depend on a small produce market and the Vallarta Supermarkets.

Incidentally, a new Vallarta will soon be opening in Anaheim (2360 W. Lincoln Avenue) not too far from your area. I am very partial to their meat section as the butchers are always willing to cut whatever you want.

Of course, the prepared food part is also a big attraction.

I like your tortilla routine, it is very similar to mine, although I long ago learned to pre-shape them between my palms so I do that prior to putting them in the press.

The fish looked lovely - I wish I could eat ocean fish, the texture is so much better for this type of food than fresh water fish.

Congratulations on a terrific Foodblog.

Awwwwwww, Andie, your compliments literally mean the world to me ! You're one of my eG heroines :wub:

When I was first researching CSAs a couple of years back, I was blown away by how few there were that service Long Beach. At the time I think there was only one, and even that had a pick-up location in Orange County. Now there's a few more, but I'm so delighted with The Growing Experience and its values, I'm not going anywhere. You grow so much of your own produce though, you're YOUR own CSA :wink:

The fish was IQF cod from TJ's ! I think they're frozen fish is great. I'll keep my eyes open for the Vallarta. There's a Northgate Supermarket in town that gets pretty good reviews on Yelp (for whatever, *that's* worth....) that I had in my back pocket to scope out this week, but ran out of time and steam. I'll be paying them a visit soon though.

Thanks again for the kind words and your contributions to the blog.

We gave a Vallerta in Santa Clarita that I like. I love their fresh tortillas. When I lived in LB, I shopped at the Mexican market @ 10th/LB Blvd. Is that the Northgate? It compares favorably to Vallerta.

I love that you cook for your birds. I am thouroughly enjoying your blog, P. Thank you for describing everything in such detail. Thank you.

Do you get alot of hummingbirds?

Thanks runwestierun ! As I said, you guys who contributed are the best.

Sorry I'm so late in answering your question, it got lost in the haze of Thursday and Friday. Luckily it's not too late to slide in a response.

You know, I rarely actually *see* the little critters, but I assume they come because the nectar goes away ! I think I've only ever seen one AT the feeder two or three times. I do know there's a nest in the avocado tree in the yard in back of mine, because I see one (or more, who can tell if its the same one or not?), flitting back and forth from the power and phone lines above the feeder to the tree when I'm out in the yard with The Girls. And I did get lucky about 2 weeks ago, and catch this shot of one sitting on the top of the shepherd's crook holder that holds the feeder:

022.JPG

I call it "Bird On a Bird" !

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

We gave a Vallerta in Santa Clarita that I like. I love their fresh tortillas. When I lived in LB, I shopped at the Mexican market @ 10th/LB Blvd. Is that the Northgate? It compares favorably to Vallerta.

The Northgate is on 21st & Pacific, which is quite close to where I have a routine doctor's appointment. I'm actually going on Monday, so I may swing by Northgate then.

I think the one on 10th & Long Beach is a Superior. Next time I head towards downtown, I may check them out as well.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

What you said about gaining confidence and experience though the shared knowledge at eG was very profound. I cooked for years – out of books and magazines and it was truly hit or miss. Specific questions had to go unanswered because I had no one to ask. I was actually the best cook I knew – never a good place to be when you want to learn. When the internet ‘happened’ and I found eG, I suddenly had people to ASK! What a wonderful gift. And what a wonderful gift this blog has been, Roberta! As always, I’m impressed with the generosity that foodbloggers show in welcoming us into your home and life and kitchen. Thank you for your hospitality and for doing such a great job. I’ve loved your pictures and your writing so much. This is one of those blogs that I’ll come back to again and again!

What you said about gaining confidence and experience though the shared knowledge at eG was very profound. I cooked for years – out of books and magazines and it was truly hit or miss. Specific questions had to go unanswered because I had no one to ask. I was actually the best cook I knew – never a good place to be when you want to learn. When the internet ‘happened’ and I found eG, I suddenly had people to ASK! What a wonderful gift. And what a wonderful gift this blog has been, Roberta! As always, I’m impressed with the generosity that foodbloggers show in welcoming us into your home and life and kitchen. Thank you for your hospitality and for doing such a great job. I’ve loved your pictures and your writing so much. This is one of those blogs that I’ll come back to again and again!

Ditto for everything that Kim wrote...except for the part about being good cook. I had succeeded in never becoming a 'cook'. And now I am gaining a reputation for being this terrific cook and I have so much to thank eG for including the mentorship of folks like Kim and Roberta (and many others.) :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm adding my thanks for a fabulous week, Roberta. Thanks for inviting us into your kitchen and taking us to some great places. It was a blast spending the week with you. You deserve a cocktail and a nap!