• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Pierogi (2011) - Rollin' the bon temps on the Left Co

Pierogi

This is the front area by the office. Currently, this area is mostly ornamental plants. Jimmy has plans to replant a lot of this area with edible crops as well, either as replacements, or interplanted with the ornamentals. Even the perimeter of the parking area and driveway, and the walkway into the office are planted with food crops !

blog 16 061.JPG

Some of the current crops. Under the shade cloth are salad greens, herbs, cruciferous veggies, peas, scallions, carrots, cabbage, hearty greens and other goodies:

blog 16 063.JPG

Guava tree:

blog 16 064.JPG

During the winter, guavas became the bane of my CSA existance... :wacko: The smell is intoxicating, but the flesh is sooooo full of nasty, absolutely inedible seeds that it's mostly unusable. I made syrups, I made a stir fry with some (actually quite good), and I infused some in vodka (THAT was a real winner). When I was at Pioneer Cash & Carry the other day, I saw guavas for $2.99 a pound... :shock:

I no longer have so much guava hate going on !

Papaya tree:

blog 16 065.JPG

The farm also has 20 chickens:

blog 16 069.JPG

And one very happy rooster !

blog 16 068.JPG

So yes, The Growing Experience also offers free-range eggs to its members. Great eggs !

Some of the beds under the shade cloth...I think these are salad greens:

blog 16 070.JPG

The mound in the back is artichokes, which are just starting to come in (large boxes got them this time, hopefully small ones will soon):

blog 16 071.JPG

They're already preparing for next fall's and winter's crops:

blog 16 072.JPG

Part of the fruit orchard. They have around 150 fruit trees total:

blog 16 074.JPG

A cherimoya tree:

blog 16 075.JPG

If you've never had a cherimoya, you do NOT know what you've missed. I had my first from The Growing Experience in December. It was amazing...

The start of some strawberries:

blog 16 076.JPG

This is a new variety of collard greens Jimmy's experimenting with. It's a perennial, instead of seasonal, so when you cut the greens, it just keeps coming back.

blog 16 077.JPG

Farmer Jimmy !

blog 16 078.JPG

The Growing Experience doesn't use any synthetic fertilizers, and no chemical pesticides or herbicides (Jimmy kept apologizing for the weeds !). What's even more amazing to me than even the concept of a farm in the middle of Long Beach, is that Jimmy's essentially a one-man show. He has one other full-time employee who is paid by the County as he is. The rest is all done with volunteers from local Master Gardener programs, some students from the community college horticulture program and other community members. Jimmy also runs an after-school and summer program for children living in Carmelitos, who work on the farm to learn about proper food habits, green industries and horticulture and job skills.

Here's their web site

Some of the local restaurants even use their produce :cool: !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

And here's what I took home with me:

blog 16 095.JPG

That's 2 avocados, scallions, broccoli, a bag of salad greens, mustard greens, rainbow chard, some kumquats, a bunch of mint and a bunch of lemon verbena.

Other than tea, anyone got suggestions for lemon verbena? I love the fragrance.

And of course, I got some of the yummy eggs:

blog 16 094.JPG

On to dinner....

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Alll rightie. NOW you can see why I couldn't put everything up last night ! It was a busy, busy, busy day, and CSA days run me late anyway, since the pick-ups start at 3.

After a brief adult beverage break (a vodka gimlet):

blog 16 112.JPG

It was time to take the class photo of the ingredients:

blog 16 098.JPG

And the recipes:

blog 16 113.JPG

From the March Bon Apetit and the November '10 Food and Wine (I'm a recipe slut as well as a condiment slut... :huh: )

First you go all postal on a stalk of lemongrass, and get out your meat mallet (and hostilities) to bash the heck out of it.

blog 16 116.JPG

Chop it up, and dump it into the Cuisinart with some chopped shallot, chopped cilantro, garlic, fish sauce, vegetable oil, a bit of sugar and white pepper:

blog 16 108.JPG

Blitz it around until you get a paste, and then put in some ground pork...

blog 16 109.JPG

...blitz that around for a bit to further mince the pork and combine everything...

blog 16 110.JPG

....and shape into meatie-balls.

blog 16 111.JPG

Put those aside to chill in the fridge for an hour or so while you have another...

blog 16 112.JPG

Now we're going to make the dipping sauce.

Take another stalk of lemongrass and teach *THAT* one lesson with the meat mallet, too. Then mince up some cilantro. Put the lemongrass and cilantro in a bowl (by the way, does ANYTHING smell better than lemongrass and cilantro together, I think not !)

Then take a carrot and your re-purposed, re-marketed woodworking tool, and shred it.

blog 16 121.JPG

Hmmmmm, wonder what I'm going to do with that end of the carrot....I don't know... :hmmm: any dogs around that like veggies?? :biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin:

Put the shredded carrot in the bowl with the cilantro/lemongrass. Mince up one of these guys:

blog 16 122.JPG

And add it to the bowl as well. And, erm, remember not to scratch your eyelid until you decontaminate your hands. Don't ask how I know...

Get some brown sugar, fish sauce and lime juice in the bowl as well. I just love what THIS...

blog 16 114.JPG

...does to THESE ! Talk about goin' all postal !

blog 16 115.JPG

Set that aside until the meatie-balls have finished chillin'.

The picture up-loader thingie seems to have frozen on me, so let me post this part, and we'll pick back up where we leave off...

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

PHEW !!! I thought I'd lost that entire last post during the upload when Explorer stopped working. I was going to be one unhappy camper.

All right, the meatie-balls are chillin', and it's time to make a side dish.

Take some sesame oil and mix it together with some rice vinegar:

blog 16 125.JPG

And cut a cuke into batons:

blog 16 128.JPG

What's that you ask? Did the fur bombs get cuke? Did the sun rise in the East this morning....

Take some sesame seeds and some red pepper flakes, and grind 'em up. My mini-chopper died about 6 months ago, so I had to try to use a mortar and pestle. A mini-chopper would've done much better.

blog 16 126.JPG

Put the batons of cuke in the dressing, and sprinkle in about half of the seed/flake mixture. Add some of these (sliced scallions):

blog 16 132.JPG

...to end up with this.

blog 16 134.JPG

While you're puttin' some heat under the meatie-balls:

blog 16 133.JPG

Make yourself a pretty serving display with butter lettuce leaves and thinly sliced cucumber:

blog 16 131.JPG

To end up with this:

blog 16 135.JPG

Which will yield THIS, drizzled with the dipping sauce:

blog 16 137.JPG

Verdict - Two big "hmmmm's" up (as opposed to thumbs up). :hmmm: The meat balls were a bit dry, and surprisingly didn't have too much flavor. The dry I think was operator error. Because I scaled the recipe down, I couldn't ever get the lemongrass/shallot/garlic/cilantro mix into a paste. So I probably over-processed the mix once I put the pork in. The lack of flavor has me puzzled though. The dippng sauce was good...

The presentation also was a bit clunky. The meat balls were a bit too large, I think, for butter lettuce. The first bite I took, the leaf tore immediately, especially when the meat balls were still warm. I ended up slicing the meat balls for the subsequent rounds.

The cucumbers had even less flavor. I amped up the vinegar by probably 50% more than the ratio in the recipe called for. It was very heavy as well, from the sesame oil. I love that flavor, but it can overwhelm very easily.

Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. Probably not enough potential to keep the cucumber recipe around, I can come up with marinated cucumbers out of my brain that I like better. I may try the meatballs again, with some tweaks.

Leftover count - add 7 meatballs to the list. Any ideas on uses for those?

I was going to make rice as a side dish, but then remembered I had these...blog 16 099.JPG

...in the freezer, so I decided to have one for dessert. When I looked at it, I realized that, especially after the carbo/fat-bomb of a breakfast burrito, I probably didn't need any more starch with dinner !!! :shock:

blog 16 139.JPG

It was very good ! I'd buy these again.

Time for a quick snack, and an errand and then we'll answer some questions and see what kind of trouble we can get into today !

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

One quick question. As I was cleaning up, and trying to be sure the Cuisinart blade was de-porked, I wondered why I didn't just schlep the think into the dishwasher (which, BTW, ran last night on "Light Load", first time all week !). I am absolutely paranoid about cleaning that metal blade, because I'm such a klutz, I'm always afraid I'll slice my fingers to ribbons with the edge. But I seem to remember in the manual, dishwasher cleaning was not recommended. I was also afraid I wouldn't get all the pork residue off of it.

How do alll y'all clean that metal processor blade? The curvy one, not the shredder/slicer ones.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

The meatball lettuce wrap looks great. Do you think it would be good with chicken rather than pork?

I'm very envious of your produce, up here in the frozen tundra.

How do alll y'all clean that metal processor blade? The curvy one, not the shredder/slicer ones.

Dishwasher. When I didn't have a dishwasher, I rarely used the processor because I so hate cleaning it by hand. I'd rather throw it in the dishwasher and need to replace the various pieces and parts a little sooner than wash the beast by hand.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

One quick question. As I was cleaning up, and trying to be sure the Cuisinart blade was de-porked, I wondered why I didn't just schlep the think into the dishwasher (which, BTW, ran last night on "Light Load", first time all week !). I am absolutely paranoid about cleaning that metal blade, because I'm such a klutz, I'm always afraid I'll slice my fingers to ribbons with the edge. But I seem to remember in the manual, dishwasher cleaning was not recommended. I was also afraid I wouldn't get all the pork residue off of it.

If I have prepared really sticky stuff - meat counts here,

I put a couple cups of hot water and a drop or two of dish detergent in it, pulse three or four times, dump it out and rinse then put it into the dishwasher. The smaller bowls fit on the top rack but the 20 cup has to go in the bottom rack.

They have all been put through the dishwashers for many years. Other than the pusher getting flung around when I didn't secure it, everything has been just fine.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Pierogi I do not think it was operator error - I think it was that Farmer John extra lean pork- that stuff is as lean as a trimmed chicken breast = dry...

The entire meal concept though sounds like a winner. Try again perhaps with a fattier pork like the stuff from the 99 Ranch Market. Since it is in the meat counter you can get as little as you want. If you are trying to keep the fat down, adding some shrimp adds moisture and interest as well.

Ranch Market was a treat to wake up to! Thanks for producing "Chinese market" envy so early in my day... :angry::laugh:

Pork Sung is shredded cooked and seasoned pork. Great topping for congee in our family. I think a poster here made a sandwich with it.

Our kids used to sneak small handfuls and just pop it into their mouths.

Chinese sausage: slice it up and stir-fry with veg, in fried rice, deep fried and sliced as appetizer, in sticky rice in bamboo leaves or lotus leaves, or simply lay acouple in with your rice and let them cook at the same time as the rice. The "fat" seeps into the rice to create a lovely flavour, especially on the burnt rice at the bottom of the pot if you're cooking rice on the stove top!

Thanks for such a fun blog, P!

OK, Pork Sung sounds interesting. It goes into the mental file of "next trip to 99 Ranch".

That rice with the sausage on top sounds mouthwatering. Thanks for the suggestions !

I could've had much more fun at 99 Ranch I'm sure, had I not been trying to take pictures, and been so rushed. Next trips I'll take it aisle by aisle and explore.

Thanks Dejah, :smile:

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Just floored by your wonderful blog- from Polish to Asian to NOLA via SoCal, all in a week and from the comfort of my couch. Thanks so much for all the effort- it's been appreciated word by word and picture by picture.

That's awfully nice of you to say Lolagranola74. You guys' feedback has been so great, it's really made this a fantastic experience !

:wub:

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Well, I learn something new every day I'm on here.

I had no idea that I frequently give my dogs a pizzle to chew on.

Noooooooo. Oh. Just. No.

But, on the other hand, I now have a spiffy new insulting name to call someone who ticks me off !!! :raz::cool:

And *THEY'LL* never even now I dissed 'em !!! :biggrin::biggrin:

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Thanks for a great blog. I *LOVE* Breakfast burritos. My favorite is from The Coffee Cup Cafe on 4th/Termino.

Thanks Randi ! Like 6ppc, it please me that other "locals" think I'm doin' OK.

Coffee Cup does make a good one. So does Gourmet Pie in Los Alamitos. It's even BIGGER than John's if that's possible.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Leftover count - add 7 meatballs to the list. Any ideas on uses for those?

I always make extra meatballs and I make Albóndigas because I love soup and I especially love this one.

I should mention that I use fairly lean pork sausage and add about 1/4 cup of rolled oats (old fashioned) to each pound of meat.

It may seem odd but the oatmeal retains moisture inside the meatballs and they are juicier.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It's been a while since I've been through the local Ranch Market here but ours was/is skewed much more to the hispanic/latin market. I guess it's a reflection of its local customer base.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pictures. I am thoroughly enjoying your blog!

:wub: , Toliver !

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

So, we're goin' down to Yasgur's farm...

Spooky - I have had my ipod going all morning at work (helps me concentrate sometimes, when I have a thorny writing project to endure), and Woodstock was the last song it played just before I plucked my earbuds out so I wouldn't shatter my eardrums during my Triscuit-based snack.

Great blog - your lovely climate and farm-fresh produce make this Buffalonian yearn for Spring.

Thanks, patris. I know, we're so lucky with our year-round growing season.

My family moved to SoCal from Chicago when I was 8. My parents had both lived their whole lives in that area, my dad in Wisconsin and then Chicago, and mom in Chicago. I can remember them coming home from one of the first winter trips to the grocery store just floored by what was offered, even back in the day, before we had imported fruit and hot-house tomatoes.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

The meatball lettuce wrap looks great. Do you think it would be good with chicken rather than pork?

I'm very envious of your produce, up here in the frozen tundra.

As Heidih points out a couple of posts below yours, with either chicken or turkey, I'd be afraid of the same problem as I had with the pork....dryness. Maybe the ground dark meat turkey might be better, and something to up the "fatty-ness" factor a bit. Since I know you keep Kosher, I'm not even going to try to advise you what that could be, since I know I'll stick my foot in it :wacko: . But I'd think the ground poultry would need some help with the texture. Flavor-wise, it'd be fine.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Pierogi I do not think it was operator error - I think it was that Farmer John extra lean pork- that stuff is as lean as a trimmed chicken breast = dry...

The entire meal concept though sounds like a winner. Try again perhaps with a fattier pork like the stuff from the 99 Ranch Market. Since it is in the meat counter you can get as little as you want. If you are trying to keep the fat down, adding some shrimp adds moisture and interest as well.

That's a great point, Heidi. Now that I think about it, I've been disappointed with the FJ pork in other dishes where I used it alone, and not as part of a mix, like for meatloaf. I'll do just that. Probably accounts for some of the blandness, as well.

Ummm...."keep the fat down"....? *You've* seen what I've been eating this week. Seriously, that thought like ever even enters the equation !!! :biggrin::laugh::raz:

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Well, I learn something new every day I'm on here.

I had no idea that I frequently give my dogs a pizzle to chew on.

Noooooooo. Oh. Just. No.

But, on the other hand, I now have a spiffy new insulting name to call someone who ticks me off !!! :raz::cool:

And *THEY'LL* never even now I dissed 'em !!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Yes.

Example:

"Don't be such a pizzle <insert name>"

:laugh:

Sounds like you had a most excellent shopping and cooking adventure Roberta.

I like the concept of the CSA you are using.

I'm bushed, the Tsunami alert woke me at midnight last night and the dogs conspired to not allow me to get back to sleep. I qave up at 0500 and went into work.

The Tsunami was fortunately a non event here in Long Beach.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Your blog has been fantastic! you really make stuff I'd love to eat.

Regarding the meatball dryness, how about adding some half cooked, finely diced bacon?? it's pork, right?

And, I LOVE the picture of that rooster, he's totally thinking, oh yeah, I'm the man, that's right, I'm the poo-dee do! :laugh:

---------------------------------------

Hey just wanted to say the food and sunshine have been a boost to my week...

and THIS is Yasgurs Farm LOL

AUG 122.jpg

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Pierogi:

I wonder if the Chinese meatball method would work to make your extra lean pork meatballs moist? My recipe calls for pork fat, ground pork and lean ground beef. I usually just use lean ground beef, but add cornstarch (or waterchestnut flour and cornstarch)and water to the mix being worked in the KitchenAid. Beat it until "thready". This produces very moist beef balls, usually steamed as a dim sum item.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hey Folks !

It's about 9:30 Friday here in lovely Long Beach (or as we used to call it when I was a kid...."Iowa By The Sea"....) and I have flat, full-on run out of gas. I was going to post dinner pictures and answer some comments/questions, but I don't think I can string together too many more coherant thoughts.

So I shall retire to my *ahem* boudoir, get a good night's sleep, and come back to close up and out tomorrow mid-morning my time. We'll close it out late afternoon my time, if that's OK with the blog mavens !

Have a good Friday night (what's left of it for y'all) and I'll catch you tomorrow...

Nighty nite !

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog